• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dave And Adams card World questions

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing a CGC graded comic from Dave and Adams. But first, I have a few questions:

Is SCS prevalent in books from Dave and Adams?

And do they accept returns for graded comics?

Thank you

On 10/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, obiedagod said:

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing a CGC graded comic from Dave and Adams. But first, I have a few questions:

Is SCS prevalent in books from Dave and Adams?

And do they accept returns for graded comics?

Thank you

Stupid question but what's SCS?

Although its been a while, I have bought from them many times in the past. Always happy. I've never had to return anything so I can't speak to that, but I can say their packaging is excellent, so if you do get SCS it won't be because of how they packed the book.

I've purchased one or two things from them in the past. No issues with transaction.

Although, I recall making an offer on an item that had "make an offer" and it was declined. For the record, it was a small discount... around 5%... enough to basically give me "free shipping" on a $150 item. I always wonder why seller employ the "Make an Offer" feature and then decline even the most modest discount.

Just now, Mr. Zipper said:

I've purchased one or two things from them in the past. No issues with transaction.

Although, I recall making an offer on an item that had "make an offer" and it was declined. For the record, it was a small discount... around 5%... enough to basically give me "free shipping" on a $150 item. I always wonder why seller employ the "Make an Offer" feature and then decline even the most modest discount.

Probably because you could have bought it off their website for cheaper than "your offer"....

But to them they only tack on what the eBay fees would cost between eBay and their website, so giving them a "best offer" means less money in their pocket. 

I'm sure most online dealers just use eBay as "free advertisement"

I've bought things from REECE comics because I didn't know they had their own website :(

my people perish for a lack of knowledge...

Odd, I've generally found their prices much closer to "fair" market value than most other dealers (assuming you're looking at the prices on their site and not through the Bay). But, yeah, they're a solid, reputable dealer and I'm sure they would take care of returns. They run a very large business beyond the comics, so it's not just one guy who's going to try to stiff you on a return because he can't afford to take the loss. 

@Jaylam So I ended up actually not buying what I was originally going to- A Spider-Man #252 CGC 9.6- and bought a CBCS 9.2 Spider-Man #265, dual signed. 

Shipped fast, however, the box had a large dent on one of the corners, which slightly ripped open the top flap. Book was fine, though.

I will say, though, that the CGC slab is far superior to the CBCS slab. 

28 minutes ago, obiedagod said:

@Jaylam So I ended up actually not buying what I was originally going to- A Spider-Man #252 CGC 9.6- and bought a CBCS 9.2 Spider-Man #265, dual signed. 

Shipped fast, however, the box had a large dent on one of the corners, which slightly ripped open the top flap. Book was fine, though.

I will say, though, that the CGC slab is far superior to the CBCS slab. 

Personally if I'm buying something and it's getting shipped, I would always or a majority of the time buy a graded comic before I would buy raw.

I would be curious though what the percentage is on same grade on a resubmit from CBCS to CGC

Edited by Hollywood1892

27 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Personally if I'm buying something and it's getting shipped, I would always or a majority of the time buy a graded comic before I would buy raw.

I would be curious though what the percentage is on same grade on a resubmit from CBCS to CGC

I have resubmitted both ways and have two extreme examples. One book CBCS graded as an 8.0, CGC graded as a 9.4. The reason I cracked and submitted to CGC was because I believed the book was way under graded by CBCS. A 5.5 from CGC graded 7.5 from CBCS. Same thing here, the book looked to be under graded, only this time by CGC. These are pretty significant grade changes between companies. I’ve never had this big of grade change by submitting to the same company, even after a clean and press. The biggest grade bump I’ve ever gotten that way was with CGC when a book went from an 8.0 to a 9.0.

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I have resubmitted both ways and have two extreme examples. One book CBCS graded as an 8.0, CGC graded as a 9.4. The reason I cracked and submitted to CGC was because I believed the book was way under graded by CBCS. A 5.5 from CGC graded 7.5 from CBCS. Same thing here, the book looked to be under graded, only this time by CGC. These are pretty significant grade changes between companies. I’ve never had this big of grade change by submitting to the same company, even after a clean and press. The biggest grade bump I’ve ever gotten that way was with CGC when a book went from an 8.0 to a 9.0.

That is crazy!!!

Especially from an 8.0 to a 9.4....