• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense 3

33 posts in this topic

I've lucked into a coverless Suspense 3.

I see it's a Gerber 9.  

The census says 35 copies have been submitted.  I'm sure some of those might be resubs.

In the last 5 years there's been virtually no sales.  The 1 sale was for a 1.0 for $21,000

Can any one help me?  What do I have here?

I'll post photos when I get it.

53 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I've lucked into a coverless Suspense 3.

I see it's a Gerber 9.  

The census says 35 copies have been submitted.  I'm sure some of those might be resubs.

In the last 5 years there's been virtually no sales.  The 1 sale was for a 1.0 for $21,000

Can any one help me?  What do I have here?

I'll post photos when I get it.

You have a coverless comic that people only want for the cover.  

Hopefully, someone with just a cover is looking to marry an interior.  

There have been other copies sold in the last 5 years, most notably the Mile High.

I seem to recall that there was a thread recently about the most valuable GA coverless comics, and Suspense 3 was discussed.  Found it.  Bumped it for you:

Edited by sfcityduck

A very ratty copy (but not coverless) did come up for sale in a comic connect auction I'm guessing about 3 or 4 years ago.  It had a reserve which wasn't met.  Bidding got up to I think $1100 or so?  (It might have been comic link but I'm pretty sure it was comic connect.)

Edited by cousin itt

14 minutes ago, cousin itt said:

A very ratty copy (but not coverless) did come up for sale in a comic connect auction I'm guessing about 3 or 4 years ago.  It had a reserve which wasn't met.  Bidding got up to I think $1100 or so?  (It might have been comic link but I'm pretty sure it was comic connect.)

Thanks Cousin itt.  Info is hard to find on this comic.

Suspense 3 is an early 1944 book.  In this case, it has 60 pages (instead of the early GA usual 68 pages), meaning 16 pages in the front ( to the centerfold), and 12 pages in the back.  Since the interior is pretty pedestrian, almost all the value in a coverless is in its centerfold. 

11 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

Suspense 3 is an early 1944 book.  In this case, it has 60 pages (instead of the early GA usual 68 pages), meaning 16 pages in the front ( to the centerfold), and 12 pages in the back.  Since the interior is pretty pedestrian, almost all the value in a coverless is in its centerfold. 

Agreed. The raft story is often missing a wrap. Any value in a coverless copy would come from an owner wishing to complete their incomplete copy by marrying the missing wraps. Also, in the rare event that someone owned a cover, they would be hot for a complete but coverless copy. 

12 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Pretty sure that about 10 years ago, Comic Connect sold a coverless copy.  Wonder if this is the same... hm

No, this is a Suspense 3 from the wild.  It was in a pile of about 15 "garbage comics".  I got the pile for almost nothing.  I just hope it's complete with the centerfold, I asked the seller to count the pages but he wouldn't do it since it was such a poor lot.

17 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Pretty sure that about 10 years ago, Comic Connect sold a coverless copy.  Wonder if this is the same... hm

Somewhere on a Suspense 3 thread there's a post about by a boardie who sold his cover only for Suspense 3 to another boardie who, he thinks, married it with a coverless copy.  That could have been the coverless copy you're talking about.

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

No, this is a Suspense 3 from the wild.  It was in a pile of about 15 "garbage comics".  I got the pile for almost nothing.  I just hope it's complete with the centerfold, I asked the seller to count the pages but he wouldn't do it since it was such a poor lot.

Just have him ship the pile. Don’t bother counting pages. Hurry before he wakes up

From what i can tell the only thing I am missing (besides the cover) is a 6 page (3 leafs) "life raft" story in the middle.  Does this mean the CF on this comic has a "tipped in" (glued) single page?  I did notice at least 2 other tipped in single pages within the comic so the cf might have a tipped in page.

Edited by gadzukes

6 hours ago, comicjack said:

The centerfold was placed in after printing that is the reason many are missing,But would that be a cover your mother would let you buy i think not lol

What do you mean "placed in"?  Do you mean loosely?  I've never heard of that before.  Are there any other examples of that with other comics?

On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, gadzukes said:

From what i can tell the only thing I am missing (besides the cover) is a 6 page (3 leafs) "life raft" story in the middle.  Does this mean the CF on this comic has a "tipped in" (glued) single page?  I did notice at least 2 other tipped in single pages within the comic so the cf might have a tipped in page.

Congrats on the cool pickup!  Does it have the LB Cole story in it?  

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

What do you mean "placed in"?  Do you mean loosely?  I've never heard of that before.  Are there any other examples of that with other comics?

I believe It was glued 

Edited by G.A.tor