• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense 3

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

What do you mean "placed in"?  Do you mean loosely?  I've never heard of that before.  Are there any other examples of that with other comics?

I have no idea how it was put in but it was added after printing,The only one who would know for sure is the publisher and for what reason was that done (shrug) 

21 hours ago, comicjack said:

I have no idea how it was put in but it was added after printing,The only one who would know for sure is the publisher and for what reason was that done (shrug) 

I guess what I'm trying to have clarified is..... Did they print and bind the comic, and then add the CF?  I don't see any glue residue on the inside of mine.

I think this comic has 3 tipped in leafs.  I guess they print and bind the comic and then tip-in the 3 extra leafs after the binding/stapling in done?

So I bought a reproduction Suspense 3 off of ebay just to get the middle pages.  

I was shocked to see the reproduction doesn't have the pages I'm missing either.  

So now I'm wondering.... are there possibly two versions of this comic?  One with an added story in the middle and one without the added pages?

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

So I bought a reproduction Suspense 3 off of ebay just to get the middle pages.  

I was shocked to see the reproduction doesn't have the pages I'm missing either.  

So now I'm wondering.... are there possibly two versions of this comic?  One with an added story in the middle and one without the added pages?

with some copies having glued in CFs from Continental, my guess is that no complete copies have been used to reproduce an interior to a Suspense 3 thus far. 

this site might have a complete interior showing. 

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=19328&page=

Edited by Primetime

9 hours ago, Primetime said:

with some copies having glued in CFs from Continental, my guess is that no complete copies have been used to reproduce an interior to a Suspense 3 thus far. 

this site might have a complete interior showing. 

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=19328&page=

I'm thinking that's the source for this repro I just bought.  It doesn't have the CF

It's been a long time since I trolled the boards or posted anything, but that copy the Digital Comic Museum has the scans of is mine.  It is indeed missing the centerfold story, and that story does have a page tipped in and glued to the folio.  My theory is that the books that are deemed incomplete I believe are usually missing the entire centerfold story, not just the tipped-in page.  It is not hard to imagine that a number of copies were assembled and sent out to distribution without the centerfold story.  Holyoke did this with a few other titles around this same time frame, Terrific Comics, Catman, and Captain Aero.  The practice employed on Suspense Comics #1, #2, #3, Terrific #1, and #2 had the following:

1) Page 3 is glued to first folio (inside of folio)

2) Page 11 is glued to fourth folio (inside folio)

3) Page 21 is glued to ninth folio (outside of folio)

4) Page 29 is glued to twelfth folio (outside of folio) and this one is the centerfold story.

So there are 12 total folios comprising a total of 4 pages per folio, so 48 pages.  Add the four tipped-in individual pages before the centerfold and you have a 56 page book.  32 pages before the centerfold and 24 after the centerfold.  They stopped that nonsense and stuck to 48 page books thereafter.  The centerfold story by the way did feature L.B. Cole artwork and story by Jerald Altman.  Another thing that adds a little more mystic to the Suspense #3 is the last panel in the Life Raft story says; "And so after 83 days, they were rescued, thus ending one of the most harrowing adventures ever experienced by Man!  Don't miss the next Terrific Comics!"  So that centerfold story seems to have been originally meant for an issue of Terrific Comics.  Suspense and Terrific alternated with each other every other month.  This was about the time that L.B. Cole came into Holyoke and Charles Quinlan departed.  Cole's first cover for Holyoke was Terrific #3.

6 hours ago, Et-Es-Go said:

My theory is that the books that are deemed incomplete I believe are usually missing the entire centerfold story, not just the tipped-in page. 

It is not hard to imagine that a number of copies were assembled and sent out to distribution without the centerfold story. 

Holyoke did this with a few other titles around this same time frame, Terrific Comics, Catman, and Captain Aero. 

Great analysis.

If what you're saying is true, that some copies were distributed without the middle story..... Then there are really 2 versions of the comic.  Version has 56 pages and version B has 50 pages.  On a CGC label it would be much nicer to have a Blue label with notes that say "Version B - 50 pages", than a Green label with label notes that read, "Incomplete - Missing centerfold".

(Of course I'm biased since I would like for my copy to be considered "Version B - Complete Coverless")

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Great analysis.

If what you're saying is true, that some copies were distributed without the middle story..... Then there are really 2 versions of the comic.  Version has 56 pages and version B has 50 pages.  On a CGC label it would be much nicer to have a Blue label with notes that say "Version B - 50 pages", than a Green label with label notes that read, "Incomplete - Missing centerfold".

(Of course I'm biased since I would like for my copy to be considered "Version B - Complete Coverless")

Maybe we need to check out the Penn and Church copies of this book to verify this since they should have the full 60 pages (including covers) as they both were encased in the blue labelled slabs and sold for nice 6-figure amounts.  (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe we need to check out the Penn and Church copies of this book to verify this since they should have the full 60 pages (including covers) as they both were encased in the blue labelled slabs and sold for nice 6-figure amounts.  (thumbsu

Would there be graders notes that would confirm page counts?

46 minutes ago, gadzukes said:
50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Would there be graders notes that would confirm page counts?

It actually shouldn't be necessary since the page count is apparently one of the first procedure that the grading companies do upon receipt of the book and well before they even  get to actual grading process. (thumbsu

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It actually shouldn't be necessary since the page count is apparently one of the first procedure that the grading companies do upon receipt of the book and well before they even  get to actual grading process. (thumbsu

But would they have written the page count down? Would there be a record.

When I got this coverless in the mail and looked at the middle pages I definitely thought I had a complete copy, because one story ended and the next story started at the cf.  It wasn't until I looked at the GCD that I saw a 6 page story was missing.