• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serious question
1 1

11 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, APDallas said:

Thanks. It is somewhat helpful but text descriptions are kind of wonky. Is there a place to show examples of  what to look for visually in order to make a grade. It seems so arbitrary sometimes.

There isn't. The only way to get a handle on grading is to look at lots and lots and lots of examples. Since the wear patterns on every comic are unique, there's no way to show a perfect "archetypical" example for each grade. And, as you note, text descriptions are wonky, and often resort to qualitative descriptions like "large" and "minor" and "tiny"...words which have no meaning outside of context, and vary reader to reader...rather than quantitative descriptions like "1/4" " and "dime size" and the like.

That said, however, the Overstreet Grading Guide, volumes 1, 2, and 3, are excellent resources that show a range of books in each grade, to give you a cursory idea of what each one looks like.

I recommend all three, because there are differences in each one which are beneficial.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Overstreet-Comic-Book-Grading-Guide-ExLib/143326287983?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D60259%26meid%3D958801b8a1234f2f89fb9b9c96134d22%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D142871135855%26itm%3D143326287983%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That said, however, the Overstreet Grading Guide, volumes 1, 2, and 3, are excellent resources that show a range of books in each grade, to give you a cursory idea of what each one looks like.

Plus it's a good way to learn the many, many defects that are even possible. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, APDallas said:

Can someone point to me a website or explain to me how to use the point system in grading?

I am confused how to grade comics this way.

I am not a great grader but am getting to be a decent one (in some grade ranges) and I learned almost exclusively through the please grade me forums here. You see a post with some responses, go in and grade the book yourself and then see how you match up against others. There are some phenomenal graders here and you'll get an idea of who is worth watching. It takes time but you will get better eventually doing this.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

There isn't. The only way to get a handle on grading is to look at lots and lots and lots of examples. Since the wear patterns on every comic are unique, there's no way to show a perfect "archetypical" example for each grade.

+1 This. Should be the first paragraph of all treatises on grading.

IMO, the Heritage site, resources, permanent auction archives, with thetremendous magnifying capabilities, is the best tool in existence to hone grading skills.

Even if you know nothing about grading, zooming in and studying the enlargements of the multitude of comics pictured will teach you.  

there is also a subforum in these chatboards where people post pictures/scans of comics, and others give their opinions on grades and defects.  You can check out what other people have posted and/or grade some of your own so you can get some free practice. 

good luck!