• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Piece or Chipping?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi! I've got a Black Panther #1 with the defect in the picture. Does anyone know what kind of defect it would be graded as? Looking through Overstreet if it's a missing piece max grade is 4.5 but if it's chipping it could be higher. You can't see it very well in the picture but on the right side of the tear there's a millimeter-wide round indent that goes through the top 3 or 4 inner pages, might have been the cause of the tear.

Thanks for the help!

15708911212088933445266890331733.jpg

Yeah, makes sense that the dent is probably related to what caused it. Since it's only on the right I'm not sure how it would have caused a tear that would look like that. Unless there was one (thumbtack or other) on the right and left but only left an indent on the right. To the right in the picture you can see where the the top interior page is mis-cut and sticking out just a little bit further than the rest of the pages as well, if that means anything.

Nice pictures.... If it was a tack, I can't think why it would be on the back. Maybe whatever it was stuck to the paper and pulled it off. Still, you'd think the tear would be straight, not jagged.

19 hours ago, Jayrn3 said:

No damage to the interior other than the indentation and a small tear to the right.

15709239383276553106329227040342.jpg

That pic reveals the probable reason. There is an outline on the page that mirrors the missing piece from the cover. This is purely pressure related. It's not any kind of chew and not cutting mechanics related, the piece was pulled off. Either it occurred in production, much like the small, lower edge production cover tears that are usually seen on GSX 1 and AS 129, or later, something pressed down on the comic and when movement occurred, pulled away the piece, thus the jagged edge.

Edited by James J Johnson

I can see that being the case. If something was sticking to it and pulled away straight up it may have caused the jagged edge. If insect related, you'd think they might like the tender interior pages better.

not a expert like the rest but from what I see and can assume I think its a tear or chew as the interior page has a tiny tear on it and the outline of the missing piece might have been caused from the pages pressed together maybe from storage or a press but my guess would be a tear