• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #194 -- should I re-submit?

8 posts in this topic

This is my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #194 which I had graded last year. At the time I decided not to spend the extra money to have it pressed, and I think that was a mistake. As you can see, CGC hit it pretty hard and gave it a 6.0.

I bought this comick back in the 80s out of a back issue bin and I stored it along with a bunch of other comics in a box without using backing boards (at least this one was in a bag). The result was that it slouched (along with a bunch of its neighbors) and developed a roll along the bottom right corner. I'm not sure how much this affected the grade overall. The irony of course is that you can't even see that defect now that the comic has been slabbed.

The most obvious defect that you _can_ see is the crunch at the top right of the front cover. There are some very thin color breaks along some of the creases.

The photos taken in bright sunlight also show that there are some stress lines along the spine and the top of the back cover. However as far as I can tell, none of these break color.

It seems to me that most of these defects are exactly the sort of things that pressing is meant to mitigate. So would it be worth it to re-submit and ask for a press this time? If so, how much do you think it would affect the grade?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

-Bill

IMG_0413.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_0434.JPGIMG_0437.JPGIMG_0438.JPGIMG_0457.JPGIMG_0449.JPGIMG_0451.JPGIMG_0441.JPG

Edited by Bill67

Quick answer is No.  The 1st time it would have been worth the $12 to press.  Not now.  Think about it.  It costs $18/$20 to regrade plus $12 pressing plus say $25 to ship it back and forth (this is conservative in shipping cost).  Pressing will improve your comic by 0.5 to 1.0.  6.0 and 6.5 are worth about the same $120, 7.0 is worth $140.  Even best case scenario, the book improve 1.5 to 7.5 is only worth $160.

Save your money and buy a higher grade already pre-slabbed and sell this one.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

looks like a good pressing candidate but cost wise dunno but I guess what others have said its probably not worth it. 

On 10/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

THAT said...which I generally agree with, by the way....this particular copy IS a perfect pressing candidate and a LOT of that stuff will come out with a proper press job.

I love working on books like this...they've got so much that will just vanish with a proper press.

I would agree with this assessment as well just based on what I can see, I think it could press as high as an 8.0/8.5 which may be worth it depending on how much/severe any of the color breaks are.  However, if you have a CGC account you should be able to view the graders notes and check for serious non-pressable defects that would limit the upgrade potential.  Things like:

severe (large or multiple) color break creases to spine and/or cover

stains

tears to interior and exterior covers

humidity/water damage

odor