• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirkman says Liefeld a modern day Kirby.

86 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Probably Lee Elias, his art looked similar to Robbins stuff. 

Ugh awful.  I'm a big Strange Adventures collector and avoid Elias like the plaque.

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

If I were to start drawing comics for Marvel, you could also describe my art as "unique." It would be the most "unique" of any Marvel artist in history. 

I disagree he had a huge impact on the art form. An impact on the industry - yes. On the art form? No, unless he showed artists what not to do. 

He absolutely should be, for the simple fact that he has had THIRTY YEARS to grow and develop as an artist and he still posts garbage. He gets work now because his name carries weight, not his art. Look at the awful art in Major X and the Action Comics variants from this year. He STILL has not learned perspective. How is it possible to get worse as an artist in thirty years? And he deserves to be crapped on more than ever for the way he acts on Twitter and his shady business tactics. Remember the Spider-Man/DeadPool 47 fit he threw? That was all because he wasn't hoarding 500 copies of that issue in his closet. All he cares about is money. 

Hate the game not the player 

A number of years ago at some Diamond Distribution event, I think it was Dan DiDio was telling us about some projects that Liefeld had coming up for the company. (That is a whole 'nother story on how that all fell through and came to more Liefeld Twitter ugliness). Anyway, a few people were hissing and softly booing, and at a certain point he said, "Hey. Seriously. The guy is constantly full of new ideas."

A Jack Kirby though? Uh.. no.

From Megaton Comics Explosion #1 (June 1987)

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 8.39.19 PM.png

Edited by Chuck Gower

52 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Probably Lee Elias, his art looked similar to Robbins stuff. 

Sounds right.  Both influenced by Caniff. I forgot Elias did the issues immediately prior to Byrne’s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I dont think copying other people's characters and stuffing pouches on them then cutting off their feet qualifies as 'new ideas'.

Other inspirations were Spider-Man and Wolverine. Liefeld states: "Wolverine and Spider-Man were the two properties I was competing with at all times. I didn't have those, I didn't have access to those. I had to make my own Spider-Man and Wolverine. That's what Cable and Deadpool were meant to be, my own Spider-Man and my own Wolverine.

-Wikipedia

Deadpool came from a ripoff of Deathstroke.  Even the name Wade Wilson was  a ripoff of Slade Wilson.

He seems to claim these were not ripoffs but 'inside jokes'.  He has a lot of inside jokes I guess.  

606829123_Screenshot2018-10-06at8_58_37PM.png.68beda43b334504453e429a0fa7d40bc (1).png

9 minutes ago, kav said:

Other inspirations were Spider-Man and Wolverine. Liefeld states: "Wolverine and Spider-Man were the two properties I was competing with at all times. I didn't have those, I didn't have access to those. I had to make my own Spider-Man and Wolverine. That's what Cable and Deadpool were meant to be, my own Spider-Man and my own Wolverine.

-Wikipedia

Deadpool came from a ripoff of Deathstroke.  Even the name Wade Wilson was  a ripoff of Slade Wilson.

He seems to claim these were not ripoffs but 'inside jokes'.  He has a lot of inside jokes I guess.  

606829123_Screenshot2018-10-06at8_58_37PM.png.68beda43b334504453e429a0fa7d40bc (1).png

What’s the ringing for?

I suspect The Swipe Police have had him under surveillance.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

What’s the ringing for?

I suspect The Swipe Police have had him under surveillance.

That was Liefeld callin for ideas-

Look I actually like Liefeld the man cant stand his art but anyone saying he's a Kirby Idea Machine is GOOFY.  Those are the ones I'm after!!

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Here’s my favourite for pointless gesturing...

Nazi / Asgardian jazz hands.

796981.jpg

Clearly an influence on a certain modern artist who’s almost my namesake.

I like this cover.  Kirby used the Masters of Evil's hands to convey that Thor was under their spell in order to turn him against the other Avengers.

Very symbolic of the (great) story inside.  That's just what a comic book cover was supposed to do back in the '60s.  :smile:

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Arthur Adams initiated the style with elongated figurework in his early comics such as Longshot.

Except, he's really good, and continued to develop and improve his art.

I know we've discussed this over in the copper forum before, but the thing (for me) that separates Art Adams from those that followed (McFarlane, Liefeld) was that while his illustrations were exaggerated and "cartoony", there was a fundamental understanding of anatomy and composition underlying the illustrations. Liefeld was all flash, with no foundation beneath the "style". 

15 minutes ago, kav said:

Kangaroo Man would be a great Liefeld character-Pouch City.

Kangaroo Girl.

Only one pouch, not much use.

Maybe a bit of extra ammo, although they can punch quite hard as well.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Kangaroo Girl.

Only one pouch, not much use.

Maybe a bit of extra ammo, although they can punch quite hard as well.

Keep in mind he would draw her pouch with pouches.  And those would have pouches.

Just now, kav said:

Keep in mind he would draw her pouch with pouches.  And those would have pouches.

Of course. She’d be a mutant. doh!

On 10/14/2019 at 6:13 PM, kav said:

Look I actually like Liefeld the man. cant stand his art but anyone saying he's a Kirby Idea Machine is GOOFY. 

Liefeld as a writer/artist 'created' Youngblood. Can't even compare to Kirby in his later DC period of work 'Kamandi' still showing creativity:

1eHLZSz.jpg