• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirkman says Liefeld a modern day Kirby.

86 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I thought that this drawing was never published? 

25 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I thought it was a fake created exclusively for posting on page one of every CGC forum thread mentioning Liefeld to break up the feet (none), pouches (lots) jokes. hm

hm I have always been under the impression that the piece was published as promo art for the upcoming (at the time) Heroes Reborn relaunch back in 1996. @RockMyAmadeus is usually the guy that knows things like that for sure though.  Hopefully he responds here.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

hm I have always been under the impression that the piece was published as promo art for the upcoming (at the time) Heroes Reborn relaunch back in 1996. @RockMyAmadeus is usually the guy that knows things like that for sure though.  Hopefully he responds here.

It's a real piece, really drawn by Liefeld. Not fake.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Glad we cleared that up.  :whistle:

Just saw a thread on reddit where someone also claims it was a promo piece for the upcoming series.  I would have to go digging through ASM books 1995-1996 to see if it turns up.  That was the Onslaught thing back then right? 

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just saw a thread on reddit where someone also claims it was a promo piece for the upcoming series.  I would have to go digging through ASM books 1995-1996 to see if it turns up.  That was the Onslaught thing back then right? 

I seriously need to know where this was published. I DESPERATELY need this SS’d 

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I don't like Liefeld but to be fair, his work is unique and is synonymous of early 1990s comics.  Love him or hate him he did have a huge impact on the art form.  And no, he's no Kirby.

I was talking about this at a local show this weekend. I came across a poster for X-Force in a recent comic collection and the art looked great (not to be confused with great art). It made me instantly think about when I was younger and how exciting comics were at that time. Are there better artists - YES. Are there more important ones - YES but at the time, many (not all of you) but many here ate it up and loved it. 

I was one of them and I don't see what's wrong with that.

He shouldn't be the punching bag that he is. There are far more creators deserving of that mark (less talented and great DB)

26 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I seriously need to know where this was published. I DESPERATELY need this SS’d 

I thought it was a panel in one of the Captain America 1996 books that he did the art for.

Edited by jsilverjanet

51 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I was talking about this at a local show this weekend. I came across a poster for X-Force in a recent comic collection and the art looked great (not to be confused with great art). It made me instantly think about when I was younger and how exciting comics were at that time. Are there better artists - YES. Are there more important ones - YES but at the time, many (not all of you) but many here ate it up and loved it. 

I was one of them and I don't see what's wrong with that.

He shouldn't be the punching bag that he is. There are far more creators deserving of that mark (less talented and great DB)

I think his art is superior in some ways, deficient in others, but he just has this penchant to really lay an egg sometimes, which is in part what he takes a lot of criticisms for. As far as being a modern day Kirby, not even close. That time has come and gone and Kirby has owned it. To borrow the sentiment from a song by John Mellencamp, we're just the future generations ridin' on the highways that he built.

Edited by Jaylam

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

668579.jpg

A classic Kirby cover.

The energy and excitement in the artwork, even just in Captain America and the other Avengers’ feet alone, is simply incredible, something that Liefeld’s art in its entirety is incapable of matching.

This cover is always such a great illustration of how Kirby could convey motion and action on a static page. He was the best at it. The forced perspective of Cap looming in the foreground, while the "ground" is tilted at an angle, really gets across the idea of forward momentum. You can almost FEEL Cap running towards you. 

Also, I've said it before, but while Liefeld is obviously challenged in many areas (basic anatomy and any rational understanding of how the human body WORKS being the most apparent) there's no denying that when his stuff hit the stands, it was fresh and new, and even kind of exciting. It doesn't hold up at all, and believe me I'm not going to try to make any sort of strong argument in his favor, but I remember being captivated by his issue of What If, with Wolvie as part of SHIELD. That cover popped off the stands, and I liked it a bunch as a kid.

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Maybe he meant Kirby as akin to the vacuum cleaner company.  Like, they're still in business, but probably shouldn't be at this point.  

Because that makes sense.

Well, they both suck.

45 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I've always wondered who Giant-Man was waving to.

avengers #4.jpg

Here’s my favourite for pointless gesturing...

Nazi / Asgardian jazz hands.

796981.jpg

Clearly an influence on a certain modern artist who’s almost my namesake.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Didn't Leifeld invent the pouch in comics?

Also I present exhibit B.....

image.png.9fdf143a395b66b4cdc8f84986ecfc82.png

Yep a lotta energy and vitality and dynamism in that piece.