• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scorsese slams MCU

221 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I understand what he's saying - and I can't outright say that he's "wrong". Outside of some choice few - MCU films' storytelling is pretty bad. Their characters are the draw. They typically just punch their way out of their problems. The stories don't lend many life lessons. They're escapism flicks, though, and serve their purpose (mostly) for that.

As much as I think Endgame is a fantastic film, it doesn't mean anything. It says, "if time travel exist(ed), then you use that to fix your problems instead of dealing with the weight of your failure". That's not to say it's completely devoid of some lessons, like sacrifice, but it's really just a method of entertainment.

Back in Martin's day, most films had meaningful messages. You can see by all the drek released nowadays that those times are long gone. He's thinking too hard about it, though. Back in his day, the technology didn't exist to make these successful visual spectacles. Escapism can be just as useful a tool as a movie with a moral message.

Smartest thing I have ever heard you say...

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Didn`t Martin Scorsese just produce DC`s Joker?

hm

Other than the massive box office and that they both star characters that originated in comic books, I suspect he would argue that they are very dissimilar:  Joker is a character driven film about one man's descent into madness and the MCU are CGI-fests with little connection to the real world- even if his original commitment wasn't consummated. IMO, with the exception of BP (which really has something to say), the MCU movies are expertly crafted entertainments and immediately forgettable. There may be some sour grapes here as The Irishman, the likely favorite (prohibitive favorite?) to win Best Picture but for the fact that it's being "distributed" by Netflix, will barely be seen in theaters.

Edited by paperheart

Martin Scorsese is referring to comic book super-hero movies in general. Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam are not exempt from his cinematic diss. But if Marty is going to dismiss super-hero comic book movies as a theme park ride, then he needs to also dismiss the Star Wars movies of his pal George Lucas and a lot of the movies of his other pal, Steven Spielberg. He needs to dismiss most horror movies as a haunted house ride. He needs to dismiss a lot of comedy films as a book of jokes. He needs to also dismiss Tarantino movies because his movies haven't had real emotional relationships since Reservoir Dogs.

Perhaps Mr Scorsese thought a comic book movie which took the form of a Martin Scorsese picture might be more valuable to society and art which might explain his early involvement in Joker. The revered filmmaker is certainly guilty of narcissism. He's said in past interviews that the future of cinema are filmmakers like Wes Anderson and Paul Thomas Anderson, filmmakers whose style has been directly inspired by his own films.

Scorsese said that true cinema involves real people having real psychological interactions with each other. Well, they're all movies for one thing, so it's all fake. But is Marty going to dismiss the emotional drama and character growth of Thor in the first film directed by Kenneth Branagh? How about the emotional weight between Bucky and Steve in Winter Soldier or the inter-family drama of Black Panther? I know haters here hate Captain Marvel, but is Marty going to dismiss the emotional connection between Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau when they re-unite?

Martin Scorsese grew up an asthmatic kid in a New York apartment and spent most of his time watching other movies. I guess I can see how Mr Scorsese can't see the world beyond his own view of cinema. 

2 hours ago, RedRaven said:

I can't disagree with much of what he says.

Me neither.

...And yet....it's basically wrong, or pointless.

Cinema takes many different forms. 

When he says "I don't see them", if that's meant literally...well, it would kind of invalidate his opinion.

He is an excellent director/film maker. Not a god.

I completely agree with him. But there has always been drek and a lot of it. Great films/cinema have always been fewer and farther between and rarely found in the top box office draws in any age.

Nothing wrong with drek though, can't always be listening to Beethoven's ninth symphony (a rare Vonnegut Galapagos reference there).

Just now, marvelcollector said:

Me neither.

...And yet....it's basically wrong, or pointless.

Cinema takes many different forms. 

When he says "I don't see them", if that's meant literally...well, it would kind of invalidate his opinion.

He is an excellent director/film maker. Not a god.

Well said!

Of course he’s 100 percent entitled to his opinion, and it shouldn’t change anyone else’s... either of Marvel movies or of HIS movies. That being said, there’s a long history of those who don’t like a version of entertainment that has become popular at least partly at the expense of their own to demean it’s value.  It’s never a good look for them, ultimately. 

If it's a movie that plays in a movie theater then it's cinema by definition is my take :roflmao:. Good has nothing to do with it. Those cheesy horror / Scifi  B movies from the 50's I think are cinema are they not?  Just because you don't like it or it's not "artsy" etc. it's still cinema.  I mean this coming from a guy that makes mostly mob movies with robert de niro and joe pesci.  Don't get me wrong I love his movies but it seems slightly hypocritical. I think he coming across a little jealous of the attention the MCU is getting personally.

Now Captain Marvel is a different story......:baiting::jokealert::roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

This came up in the first week of October where he made a brief statement. Then MCU hardcores started posting about his films were beneath Marvel Studios films. Including...

On 10/4/2019 at 7:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

Martin Scorsese commented on MCU films during a 'The Irishman' interview.

Leading to people attacking him for being jealous, and some interesting exchanges.

...Martin Scorsese is jealous of the MCU's success. :insane:

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This came up in the first week of October where he made a brief statement. Then MCU hardcores started posting about his films were beneath Marvel Studios films. Including...

...Martin Scorsese is jealous of the MCU's success. :insane:

These must be the butt-hurt fanboys that Buzzetta is always on about. hm

Meh...., without constantly calling on two bankable actors (DiNero and DiCaprio), would 1/2 his movies be as successful as they were? I love Raging Bull and Goodfellas.   But he can't argue with the $$ the movies have bought in, 'Theme Park' or not.  Unless it's a documentary, Cinema is escapism.  Not sure why he became elitist on the matter.