• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scorsese slams MCU

221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I think Coppola was much tougher with that comment these Marvel movies were 'despicable'. Despicable?

Again, they are focusing the attention on Disney and MCU fans and not on the studios actually trying to model the success of comic book films in general.

Coppola has done some good stuff obviously and to go on and say 'despicable' is a bit much, but we no longer live in the times of the Godfather where we can give our attention to a three hour film in such great detail.

We live in the days of instant gratification and nonchalant disconnection where a movie with such violent exposure and constant action like anything from Marvel consumes our brains and at the same time doesnt demand our minds attention.

32 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Coppola has done some good stuff obviously and to go on and say 'despicable' is a bit much, but we no longer live in the times of the Godfather where we can give our attention to a three hour film in such great detail.

We live in the days of instant gratification and nonchalant disconnection where a movie with such violent exposure and constant action like anything from Marvel consumes our brains and at the same time doesnt demand our minds attention.

so we are stupider

45 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

so we are stupider

I wouldnt go that far(thumbsu

Just exposed to more violence and fast paced movies, where back in Coppola's day we had ten hours to sit down and dissect every word from the Godfather. Today watching the Godfather doesnt shock us, now you have gangs or cartels that hire mercenaries to overthrow governments and force police to release people they held captive.

Granted Godfather was a great movie of it's time and Endgame isn't relatable in that regard, and I'm not saying Godfather isnt a great Shakespearean Mafia Epic, but 'Cinema' has evolved from why to how much?

I think there is what you see on the surface and what's going on underneath.

Many of the blockbusters it's only the surface. Other films have something greater happening underneath that surface that you see on the screen.

I like both but there's the different between a 99 hamburger and a filet mignon. 

I think Joker is part of that rare film where there's something greater happening. The movie is powerful. It's raw and it takes chances. It honest about what it wants to say and doesn't apologize or ask for permission. I don't think I've felt that way about any of the super hero movies including dark knight. Dark Knight is fantastic because of the director (he's a master of film) and the supporting actor. 

18 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Jealous? You don’t think Scorsese or Coppola would be given the reins to any super hero they wanted if they were willing to do so? And given a fortune for doing it

Oh I would imagine they can do any project they desire. I was referring to the box office take-ins  ( cape movies vs their films). Scorsese’s comments do have merit, although Coppola’s I feel are purely emotional. Calling Marvels film despicable is just boosting his own ego.  

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

Oh I would imagine they can do any project they desire. I was referring to the box office take-ins  ( cape movies vs their films). Scorsese’s comments do have merit, although Coppola’s I feel are purely emotional. Calling Marvels film despicable is just boosting his own ego.  

Same thing with box office. If they wanted to make a CGI fueled Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson headlines summer action movie with billion dollar IP they could. They already have enough money to strictly make what they consider to be art though. They know slow burn dramas don’t top box office charts anymore, but it’s what they like to make. Kind of like calling Alan Moore jealous of Liefelds success

My experience with a lot of comic book movies is that I go to the the theater and like them, but they.don't stay with me afterwards. There are some great exceptions to that rule, but it's been happening a lot more lately. It's oversaturation. Before the Marvel revolution, comic book movies were something special, and nearly all of them had the stamp of a director with his own style. Now they're run of the mill, as.standardized as B Westerns made by Monogram in the 1940's.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Same thing with box office. If they wanted to make a CGI fueled Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson headlines summer action movie with billion dollar IP they could. They already have enough money to strictly make what they consider to be art though. They know slow burn dramas don’t top box office charts anymore, but it’s what they like to make. Kind of like calling Alan Moore jealous of Liefelds success

It’s really simple if you think about it. No one says “mine is better than yours” from a position of security....whether that security is money, ego, notoriety etc.

Coppola said what he said for a reason...maybe he’s just a  (shrug) your guess is as good as mine 

MOVING PICTURES ARE THE END OF ACTING

by Edwin Booth, 1889

I was recently shown a moving picture called "Roundhay Garden Scene" which supposedly is the future of acting using electricity and film.  What ever happened to true acting?  In front of an audience?  You have to get it right the first time!  If you miss a cue or walk through the garden the wrong way, you're to blame!  There is no "try it again" and just ignore the film.  I suppose those examples of bad acting will just end up on some cutting room floor somewhere?  Pure acting doesn't have a second take.  It doesn't have "do overs".  It all counts, or it isn't acting.

18 hours ago, bentbryan said:

It’s really simple if you think about it. No one says “mine is better than yours” from a position of security....whether that security is money, ego, notoriety etc.

Coppola said what he said for a reason...maybe he’s just a  (shrug) your guess is as good as mine 

A hundred years from now mankind will be studying the art of cinema, and Coppola will be a subject. Ten years from now the early Marvel movies will be a laughable example of poorly used low tech CGI and a complete lack of substance. Doesn’t matter though, they don’t have to have lasting appeal, they make their billion dollars before it even hits home media, so if it’s out of print by the time the next generation of media is released the investors won’t care, they’ll continue to rush out more as quickly as the rendering artists in whatever country is animating these movies can put them out