• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do We Have a "Whats Hot, Whats Not" Thread?
3 3

109 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Reading them isnt even a fraction.

Having a nice piece of plastic that covers a book saying 9.8 is different than having one that says 9.4.

How come supposed 'Keys' are more slabbed than commons?

What do these sentences even mean...?

Buy the book - not the label.

Keys are more available raw than encapsulated, so... You were saying?

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Look at it from the perspective of the comic seller/ dealer.

Generally I think it is very fair to make an offer entirely based on the key/sellable books where after selling them you have made your money back and a little more. After that the rest sit in your boxes for years unless you sell them as dollar books or less and even then likely do not sell.

Books from the 80's-90's are from the most heavily printed era so they are very commonly found. After buying a few collections you will have most of them already do you want to buy more?

Everything sells at the right price.  I don't begrudge a dealer for paying pennies for common copper issues, but I don't want to hear that same dealer say "run issues don't sell" when they turn around and try to sell those books at $4.25 each.  We have a local hoarder/dealer here who does just that, and to no one's surprise, he's having financial hardships while long boxes have overrun his whole house.  It's not that hard to figure out.

17 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you serious...?

This must be a rhetorical question...

Yes very rhetorical.

Maybe I am overly biased on slabbed comics, but I have no desire of reading say FA of Harley Quinn or Green Goblin as or even Bane for that matter, as much as I would like to see the evolution of their villainy, Banes prime example is Knightfall but those books aren't going to keep a local comic shop in business like the characters first appearance. But than only a serious collector is going to fork over $2000 for one book in the case of Harley Quinn first appearance, and that's the whole point. I think a local store would be better off having a stock of slabbed comics as their selling value is higher than raw

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

We get it. You thinks it's "an investment". That's what 401ks are for, though. Or, in your case, an RRSP.

"Financial value" is a tiny fractal reason for buying/collecting encapsulated comics.

Insulting...

I've spent maybe $600 in comics in the past 5 months.

I'm not thinking comics will ever buy me a house or pay for my retirement, at least make an effort to understand who you are communicating with. When it comes to the hobby I buy what excites me and I like to do that in slabs and 9.8 grades.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes very rhetorical.

Maybe I am overly biased on slabbed comics, but I have no desire of reading say FA of Harley Quinn or Green Goblin as or even Bane for that matter, as much as I would like to see the evolution of their villainy, Banes prime example is Knightfall but those books aren't going to keep a local comic shop in business like the characters first appearance. But than only a serious collector is going to fork over $2000 for one book in the case of Harley Quinn first appearance, and that's the whole point. I think a local store would be better off having a stock of slabbed comics as their selling value is higher than raw

What does this even mean?

First appearances don't keep comic shops in business. Selling current comics keep them in business. "First appearances" are another niche market - and not always concrete character-to-character.

Again: Encapsulated comics are a niche market inside a niche market.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What does this even mean?

First appearances don't keep comic shops in business. Selling current comics keep them in business. "First appearances" are another niche market - and not always concrete character-to-character.

Again: Encapsulated comics are a niche market inside a niche market.

You go to shows right?

What is the last show you went too?

What do you think the ratio of slabbed to raw was?

What do you think the ration on raw first appearances to raw complete runs was?

What do you think the ratio of slabbed first appearances to raw first appearances was?

What do you think the financial haul per dealer was?

Do you think the haul was on complete runs, raws, or slabbed?

This is obvious speculation, but it be interesting to understand balance in the market.

I also think this market works for people who have been in it for the long haul, not someone who is just coming on to the scene unless they have a large bankroll.

Edited by Hollywood1892

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Insulting...

I've spent maybe $600 in comics in the past 5 months.

I'm not thinking comics will ever buy me a house or pay for my retirement, at least make an effort to understand who you are communicating with. When it comes to the hobby I buy what excites me and I like to do that in slabs and 9.8 grades.

How are you even insulted by anything in that post? I've never seen such think skin before.

I know who I'm talking to. Blowing up the boards when you joined 8 months ago with nothing but speculation talk was 1 clue. Always talking about "it has room to jump in value" when seeing posts about the current Flavor of the Month is another. "Slabs and 9.8 grades" is another clue.

What "excites you" is the same thing that excites gamblers. That's why we always say, "buy the book and not the label", because how will you feel if in 5 months those comics you bought in plastic are only worth 20% of what you spent? Did you buy the book, or did you buy the label...?

You go to shows right?

What is the last show you went too?

What do you think the ratio of slabbed to raw was?

What do you think the ration on raw first appearances to raw complete runs was?

What do you think the ratio of slabbed first appearances to raw first appearances was?

What do you think the financial haul per dealer was?

Do you think the haul was on complete runs, raws, or slabbed?

This is obvious speculation, but it be interesting to understand balance in the market.

I also think this market works for people who have been in it for the long haul, not someone who is just coming on to the scene unless they have a large bankroll.

"Shows" have nothing to do with this. I'm not gonna waste time answering those straw-man questions. "Shows" are, again, a niche market.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

How are you even insulted by anything in that post? I've never seen such think skin before.

I know who I'm talking to. Blowing up the boards when you joined 8 months ago with nothing but speculation talk was 1 clue. Always talking about "it has room to jump in value" when seeing posts about the current Flavor of the Month is another. "Slabs and 9.8 grades" is another clue.

What "excites you" is the same thing that excites gamblers. That's why we always say, "buy the book and not the label", because how will you feel if in 5 months those comics you bought in plastic are only worth 20% of what you spent? Did you buy the book, or did you buy the label...?

Thin*

Yes, when I started buying comics I bought alot of specs. I've also bought what I wanted, I don't have a problem showing my collection, and if the comics I buy or bought are worthless in ten years at least I had fun doing it.

The books I have in plastic now haven't jumped or devalued much at all.

I bought the first appearance of carnage because growing up he was my favorite super villain, the book is 25 years old and it's clearly not the flavor of the month.

Same goes for most of my slabs, but at the same time I do buy spec which are cheap.

These are my slabs so I believe it's a balance. I generally buy what I like

20191003_233116.jpg

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Thin*

Yes, when I started buying comics I bought alot of specs. I've also bought what I wanted, I don't have a problem showing my collection, and if the comics I buy or bought are worthless in ten years at least I had fun doing it.

The books I have in plastic now haven't jumped or devalued much at all.

I bought the first appearance of carnage because growing up he was my favorite super villain, the book is 25 years old and it's clearly not the flavor of the month.

Same goes for most of my slabs, but at the same time I do buy spec which are cheap.

These are my slabs so I believe it's a balance. I generally buy what I like

If you are buying the book and not the label, then what are you not understanding?

It seems like you're making an argument against what you're supporting and it doesn't make sense.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Shows" have nothing to do with this. I'm not gonna waste time answering those straw-man questions. "Shows" are, again, a niche market.

You don't mean what you are saying, do you?

Your saying 'Shows' are a niche market?

Like San Diego comic con is niche?

Are you saying its niche in a niche market?

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you are buying the book and not the label, then what are you not understanding?

It seems like you're making an argument against what you're supporting and it doesn't make sense.

I'm totally understanding you.

What I originally said was that I don't like going to a store and being paid half of the actual value for something.

I buy what I like to buy. That was never the point of this thread, nor were my answers before you joined in the topic.

You don't mean what you are saying, do you?

Your saying 'Shows' are a niche market?

Like San Diego comic con is niche?

Are you saying its niche in a niche market?

I mean what I say and say what I mean, son.

"Shows" are literally markets for a niche.