• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do We Have a "Whats Hot, Whats Not" Thread?
3 3

109 posts in this topic

Last point for the guys giving some dealers flak!  Maybe not so much nowadays, but more so in the past when there weren't as many flippers but I've bought collections where I was the only person there!  Or I was the only person that was offering a bid on something!  It was my bid or the person wasn't selling and they were happy I was there to provide that market for them to dispose of a collection at a fair price, in one shot.  What is their alternative?

1 minute ago, marvelmaniac said:

Again, this is all up to him, not me, I am just trying to find out which books are hot right now that I may not be aware of to let him know.

I think the list is more or less straightforward, but if he has a price of $1200 in mind then why does he care at this point what books are suddenly hot?  Not knowing their condition, $1200 seems like a realistic price for the lot.  If he doesn't like the offers my advice for you to relay to him would be to break the books by character/title and sell as a run only.  Do not try parsing them out!  

Again...

This thread was about which books are hot right now.

$1200.00 is a price I told him he could expect, he did not come up with that number, I came up with that number by assuming 30% of FMV for the keys and .30 cents per book for the remaining which consists of $5, $10, $15 books as well as 25 cent fillers so rather than grade and price each book individually I "ballparked" an average price and now that is what he expects.

A lot of these books (McFarlane ASM's, Miller D.D's, Secret Wars 1-12 , Transformers 1-80, X-Men 94-150 just to name a few) I have already graded, photographed and cataloged, I graded the books I felt had value back in 2015 when I graded mine.

I have no idea what his plans are for the collection or how he plans on selling the books or where he is going to try to sell them or how he is going to sell them, he just sold all of his other collectibles (NASCAR Stuff, Garbage Pail Kids Cards) and my HO train collection and other things at a yard sale and got almost $500.00 so he feels he can sell these himself and get what he feels is the right price.

I am the one that wants to know what books are in the collection that may be "hot" right now so if he is going to sell them individually he has an idea of what folks are looking for at the present time or if another dealer shows interest we know what is actually there other than the 35 I listed.

Besides, this is good practice and experience for him, when I am no longer here he and my Daughter will be selling my books which should be easier since the majority are 10 cent - 25 cent covers.

13 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Again...

$1200.00 is a price I told him he could expect, he did not come up with that number, I came up with that number by assuming 30% of FMV for the keys and .30 cents per book for the remaining which consists of $5, $10, $15 books as well as 25 cent fillers so rather than grade and price each book individually I "ballparked" an average price and now that is what he expects.

A lot of these books (McFarlane ASM's, Miller D.D's, Secret Wars 1-12 , Transformers 1-80, X-Men 94-150 just to name a few) I have already graded, photographed and cataloged, I graded the books I felt had value back in 2015 when I graded mine.

I have no idea what his plans are for the collection or how he plans on selling the books or where he is going to try to sell them or how he is going to sell them, he just sold all of his other collectibles (NASCAR Stuff, Garbage Pail Kids Cards) and my HO train collection and other things at a yard sale and got almost $500.00 so he feels he can sell these himself and get what he feels is the right price.

I am the one that wants to know what books are in the collection that may be "hot" right now so if he is going to sell them individually he has an idea of what folks are looking for at the present time or if another dealer shows interest we know what is actually there other than the 35 I listed.

Besides, this is good practice and experience for him, when I am no longer here he and my Daughter will be selling my books which should be easier since the majority are 10 cent - 25 cent covers.

You have a list of the books and you've looked on ebay sales, then who cares if it's hot or not - you have their sold prices which I'm guessing he will use as a guide in listing the books.  Really, there isn't a whole lot there that's 'hot' than what's probably obvious to you, him and everyone in this thread.  But if you're really concerned about missing out on a hot book, there's hundreds of pages and thousands of posts for you to dissect in the 'heating up' threads.  

Edited by spreads
edit

And to be frank it's a bit lazy on his part, he has a collection of a few longs and can't be bothered to go through with it to see what he has or is 'hot'.  There is not a lot of comics here, you don't know what will 'immediately' sell, just because a book might be suddenly hot now because a bunch of spec guys are pumping it doesn't mean it will sell quicker than what that isn't considered 'hot' but is more important book/key.  

Edited by spreads

4 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Image result for you lack discipline

Didn’t you read his post in the other thread?  We were unable to tell him the exact ‘hot’ books, so this thread is over!

Ironically the list of books is pretty solid, and if I were close to his son I’d probably buy the lot for the $1200 he’s looking for.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Also my Son said...

If the hot/key books are going to sell that quickly why should we take 30% of FMV when we can sell them ourselves and take all of the profit.

AFAIK he plans on listing a couple of books on Facebook to see what happens.

Packing, shipping, dealing with facebook people ghosting you, scamming you, claiming the package did not arrive/is not as advertised...you overestimating FMV...frankly, if you could get 30% under FMV from a dealer on the good stuff that isn't so bad.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

How are you even insulted by anything in that post? I've never seen such think skin before.

I know who I'm talking to. Blowing up the boards when you joined 8 months ago with nothing but speculation talk was 1 clue. Always talking about "it has room to jump in value" when seeing posts about the current Flavor of the Month is another. "Slabs and 9.8 grades" is another clue.

What "excites you" is the same thing that excites gamblers. That's why we always say, "buy the book and not the label", because how will you feel if in 5 months those comics you bought in plastic are only worth 20% of what you spent? Did you buy the book, or did you buy the label...?

Oh stop. He's excited. Why you need to krap on him? If only he knew that he should put all of his money into Thor 339, that would be like buying Amazon in 1997....

7 hours ago, the blob said:

Oh stop. He's excited. Why you need to krap on him? If only he knew that he should put all of his money into Thor 339, that would be like buying Amazon in 1997....

Ummm Amazon's stock crumbled 90% in the dot com crash, you mean early 2000s? 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, spreads said:

Also,

Since you have an offer of $800 and your son is looking for $1200.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Again...

$1200.00 is a price I told him he could expect, he did not come up with that number.

Actually after talking to him this past weekend he reiterated to me that I told him to expect $1200.00, he stated he wants $2000.00.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

I love HO trains

7 hours ago, the blob said:

if you could get 30% under FMV from a dealer on the good stuff that isn't so bad.

If only we could get 30% Under FMV, that would mean i would be getting 70% OF FMV and I was only looking to get 30% OF FMV which we were very close on with the top 35.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Ummm Amazon's stock crumbled 90% in the dot com crash, you mean early 2000s? 

Fine, whatever, and then it bounced back like nobody's business. If you had bought $1000 of Amazon in the IPO in 1997 you'd have something like $1.5 million or so now. It was never that high before the crash.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The hammer has sailed on Thor 339lol

It would be like...okay I got nothing, you are rightlol

Youngling you have so much to learn about the world of comics.

Thor 339 is like a magical boomerang. It will come back stronger than ever. ASM 300, 129, Spotlight 5 .. at one point all significantly retreated into hidey holes and could be had cheap ..I kid you not I bought a VF type ASM 300 on ebay for $3.00 in the early 2000s and bought a MS 5 for $2 at a show in the late 90s when GR was as dead as a corpse. The Great Ones (TM) always bounce back with ferocity.

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

Youngling you have so much to learn about the world of comics.

Thor 339 is like a magical boomerang. It will come back stronger than ever. ASM 300, 129, Spotlight 5 .. at one point all significantly retreated into hidey holes and could be had cheap ..I kid you not I bought a VF type ASM 300 on ebay for $3.00 in the early 2000s and bought a MS 5 for $2 at a show in the late 90s when GR was as dead as a corpse. The Great Ones (TM) always bounce back with ferocity.

I agree