• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do We Have a "Whats Hot, Whats Not" Thread?
3 3

109 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, the blob said:

Fine, whatever, and then it bounced back like nobody's business. If you had bought $1000 of Amazon in the IPO in 1997 you'd have something like $1.5 million or so now. It was never that high before the crash.

How many retailers are able to participate in IPOs?  Let alone knowing a solid investment in one during a time when thousands of similar companies were making their way to the primary market.  It would have been a much clearer choice, and realistic possible investment to pickup the surviving tech stocks post crash.

58 minutes ago, spreads said:

How many retailers are able to participate in IPOs?  Let alone knowing a solid investment in one during a time when thousands of similar companies were making their way to the primary market.  It would have been a much clearer choice, and realistic possible investment to pickup the surviving tech stocks post crash.

Jeez louis, do you ever stop? Cuz I don't know the "how much money you could have made" # for buying Amazon in 2001, that's why, just 1997. I do know you could have made about 225X your money buying Apple then when Apple was in the krapper. So switch Apple into the analogy and make it 2001/2002, whenever Apple was hovering under $1 a share. Happy? Long live Thor 339!

Edited by the blob

On 10/18/2019 at 10:32 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Again...

This thread was about which books are hot right now.

$1200.00 is a price I told him he could expect, he did not come up with that number, I came up with that number by assuming 30% of FMV for the keys and .30 cents per book for the remaining which consists of $5, $10, $15 books as well as 25 cent fillers so rather than grade and price each book individually I "ballparked" an average price and now that is what he expects.

A lot of these books (McFarlane ASM's, Miller D.D's, Secret Wars 1-12 , Transformers 1-80, X-Men 94-150 just to name a few) I have already graded, photographed and cataloged, I graded the books I felt had value back in 2015 when I graded mine.

I have no idea what his plans are for the collection or how he plans on selling the books or where he is going to try to sell them or how he is going to sell them, he just sold all of his other collectibles (NASCAR Stuff, Garbage Pail Kids Cards) and my HO train collection and other things at a yard sale and got almost $500.00 so he feels he can sell these himself and get what he feels is the right price.

I am the one that wants to know what books are in the collection that may be "hot" right now so if he is going to sell them individually he has an idea of what folks are looking for at the present time or if another dealer shows interest we know what is actually there other than the 35 I listed.

Besides, this is good practice and experience for him, when I am no longer here he and my Daughter will be selling my books which should be easier since the majority are 10 cent - 25 cent covers.

Honestly, if I wanted to get okay money out of them with the minimum amount of work, I'd sell the $50+ keys thru mycomicshop.com's consignment ( probably mostly through their auctions since it avoids having to figure out pricing ), and then dump the rest locally at a low price.  Note that the grading at mycomicshop.com is super-duper strict, so be careful with your expectations.  Your books will get listed with a lower grade than you expect, but the money you get will likely reflect something close to FMV, IMO.  I've had pretty good luck with them.  If you want to do a little more work, you can take those run books that have decent value like the McFarlane ASMs and Miller D.D's and put them into lots of 10 to sell there as well.  That is a little more work though, and the commission they take is larger ( 25% instead of 10% ), and the shipping costs are more significant, but it is still less unpleasant than dealing with Ebay/Facebook/Craiglist, IMO.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

Jeez louis, do you ever stop? Cuz I don't know the "how much money you could have made" # for buying Amazon in 2001, that's why, just 1997. I do know you could have made about 225X your money buying Apple then when Apple was in the krapper. So switch Apple into the analogy and make it 2001/2002, whenever Apple was hovering under $1 a share. Happy? Long live Thor 339!

Alright, alright settle down I'll stop.  Hold onto your blood pressure.

16 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Honestly, if I wanted to get okay money out of them with the minimum amount of work, I'd sell the $50+ keys thru mycomicshop.com's consignment ( probably mostly through their auctions since it avoids having to figure out pricing ), and then dump the rest locally at a low price.  Note that the grading at mycomicshop.com is super-duper strict, so be careful with your expectations.  Your books will get listed with a lower grade than you expect, but the money you get will likely reflect something close to FMV, IMO.  I've had pretty good luck with them.  If you want to do a little more work, you can take those run books that have decent value like the McFarlane ASMs and Miller D.D's and put them into lots of 10 to sell there as well.  That is a little more work though, and the commission they take is larger ( 25% instead of 10% ), and the shipping costs are more significant, but it is still less unpleasant than dealing with Ebay/Facebook/Craiglist, IMO.

I'm not sure why (OP's son) the first instinct is to use FB to sell?  The fees of having a real ecommerce platform like ebay to me is negligible instead of having to deal with the counter party risk/time & effort on Facebook. 

Edited by spreads

On 10/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Again...

This thread was about which books are hot right now.

$1200.00 is a price I told him he could expect, he did not come up with that number, I came up with that number by assuming 30% of FMV for the keys and .30 cents per book for the remaining which consists of $5, $10, $15 books as well as 25 cent fillers so rather than grade and price each book individually I "ballparked" an average price and now that is what he expects.

A lot of these books (McFarlane ASM's, Miller D.D's, Secret Wars 1-12 , Transformers 1-80, X-Men 94-150 just to name a few) I have already graded, photographed and cataloged, I graded the books I felt had value back in 2015 when I graded mine.

I have no idea what his plans are for the collection or how he plans on selling the books or where he is going to try to sell them or how he is going to sell them, he just sold all of his other collectibles (NASCAR Stuff, Garbage Pail Kids Cards) and my HO train collection and other things at a yard sale and got almost $500.00 so he feels he can sell these himself and get what he feels is the right price.

I am the one that wants to know what books are in the collection that may be "hot" right now so if he is going to sell them individually he has an idea of what folks are looking for at the present time or if another dealer shows interest we know what is actually there other than the 35 I listed.

Besides, this is good practice and experience for him, when I am no longer here he and my Daughter will be selling my books which should be easier since the majority are 10 cent - 25 cent covers.

I'm in New Jersey and I buy collections. Contact me if you're interested in an offer-the one you got seems low based on the list.

Thanks, Ben