• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do We Have a "Whats Hot, Whats Not" Thread?
3 3

109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Shows" are literally markets for a niche.

EVERY comic book collector is a niche collector. lol

Even if the collector says something completely generic like "I collect Spider-Man", that's niche to one character, which then needs to be clarified if they mean the "I go for every comic with Spider-Man" niche or the "but I don't pay thousands of dollars for modern Spider-Man variants" niche.  Within either one of those niches, you'd have to figure out how they like their Silver Age Spider-Man... just complete or as-pristine-as-possible?

If you ask a collector to really describe in detail what they collect, you'll be talking about a niche market with only one or two other guys (at the most) who collect exactly the same way.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What "excites you" is the same thing that excites gamblers. That's why we always say, "buy the book and not the label", because how will you feel if in 5 months those comics you bought in plastic are only worth 20% of what you spent? Did you buy the book, or did you buy the label...?

I must not be part of that "we" since I've always thought that ~ buy the book not the label ~ phrase related more to personal preferences trumping assigned grades.  Like a perfectly aligned 9.6 being preferable to a miswrapped 9.8 OR an AF 15 graded 4.0 being more desirable to buyers than a chipped or written on 5.0.   Not sure how that phrase relates to the speculation and "investing" well or otherwise. (shrug)

Edited by bababooey

9 hours ago, Foley said:

Get a room lads...

lol...but what about the poor sucker thats in the next room? How are they gonna sleep at night with all that arguing/violence going on???

Amazon ebay and digital subscriptions on the Marvel site are the new LCS. Brick and mortar is being fazed out like the plug in home phone. Remember those old Walkmans from the 80's 90's? The ipod killed the Walkman and now the ipod is being fazed out by something else. 

I'll just reup what was already mentioned that there's topics in the bronze silver copper forums devoted to what's hot on Ebay 

15 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sounds to me like some backhanded compliments if you ask me

I hate buyers/dealers like this:censored:

"Oh I'll offer you half of fair market value because I'm going to make a better return than a drug dealer but you got some hot stuff!"

Knowledge has value.

11 hours ago, Foley said:

Get a room lads...

I've lost track of who is arguing what, or even what is happening.

Reminds me of the arguing airport PA voices at the beginning of Airplane!  "The white zone is for comics that are niche but not TOO niche but are a niche of a niche but a nice niche..."

13 hours ago, bababooey said:

I must not be part of that "we" since I've always thought that ~ buy the book not the label ~ phrase related more to personal preferences trumping assigned grades.  Like a perfectly aligned 9.6 being preferable to a miswrapped 9.8 OR an AF 15 graded 4.0 being more desirable to buyers than a chipped or written on 5.0.   Not sure how that phrase relates to the speculation and "investing" well or otherwise. (shrug)

It doesn't. That was my point.

The facade of being a "collector" despite showing all indications of being a speculator or "investor" (if there ever were such a thing).

22 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It doesn't. That was my point.

The facade of being a "collector" despite showing all indications of being a speculator or "investor" (if there ever were such a thing).

20190625_212228.jpg

20190625_212042.jpg

Does any of this look like speculation to you

20191017_073027.jpg

Edited by Hollywood1892

Back to the original subject...

He was very upfront about his business, other dealers on the forum can either confirm or dispute what he told me.

1)He has 48 hours to turn over books he purchased from a new collection. With 9 other dealers local and people on Facebook/Craigslist that are all posting new finds on the internet at the same time he has a short window...After 48 hours he says most buyers that are looking online "assume" the keys/hot books are gone so they do not come in so the remaining books just sit and become stale.

2)The "fillers" are generally sold at shows to other dealers for about $10.00 a box or at .50/25 cents each or less at specials during the year.

3)We agreed on 98% of the books as I had them graded but he said..."even though we grew up on Overstreet I have to grade very hard as I assume CGC would because that is what buyers are looking at/for due to the internet so every little tick/color break/bindery defect/color fade, etc has to be carefully examined under a microscope."

I graded and priced the top 35 books in the collection and came up with a FMV or $1900.00, we were looking for about 30% of FMV for those books.

That left 2000 books that he was offering 7 cents per book, I am not really sure if they are all fillers (the reason for this thread). He went home and did his research and contacted my Son with an offer of $800.00 which my Son declined, we were looking for about $1200.00.

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Does any of this look like speculation to you

Pretty much all of it except the Knightquest. I don't see that ever holding any real value. But in that case, that's the biggest speculation of them all.

Edited by ygogolak

45 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Back to the original subject...

He was very upfront about his business, other dealers on the forum can either confirm or dispute what he told me.

1)He has 48 hours to turn over books he purchased from a new collection. With 9 other dealers local and people on Facebook/Craigslist that are all posting new finds on the internet at the same time he has a short window...After 48 hours he says most buyers that are looking online "assume" the keys/hot books are gone so they do not come in so the remaining books just sit and become stale.

2)The "fillers" are generally sold at shows to other dealers for about $10.00 a box or at .50/25 cents each or less at specials during the year.

3)We agreed on 98% of the books as I had them graded but he said..."even though we grew up on Overstreet I have to grade very hard as I assume CGC would because that is what buyers are looking at/for due to the internet so every little tick/color break/bindery defect/color fade, etc has to be carefully examined under a microscope."

I graded and priced the top 35 books in the collection and came up with a FMV or $1900.00, we were looking for about 30% of FMV for those books.

That left 2000 books that he was offering 7 cents per book, I am not really sure if they are all fillers (the reason for this thread). He went home and did his research and contacted my Son with an offer of $800.00 which my Son declined, we were looking for about $1200.00.

$400 short isn't a large difference, maybe you should think about settling at $1000 to split the difference. Might be a tough pill to swallow but if your desire is to move off of what you have than eventually you will come to terms with it. Either that or keep holding out.

27 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

$400 short isn't a large difference, maybe you should think about settling at $1000 to split the difference. Might be a tough pill to swallow but if your desire is to move off of what you have than eventually you will come to terms with it. Either that or keep holding out.

It is not up to me.

He was explaining to me what happens when he adds a new collection and I told him that although I was with him the entire time and a lot of these books were bought by me brand new that they were no longer mine so he needed to explain everything to my Son and his wife since they will be making the final decision.

After explaining all of this to them he also said "if you are having doubts or do not feel right about the offer let me know right now, it will not hurt my feelings", my Son and his wife decided to wait for his final offer and I told him since my Son has the final say he should contact him through Facebook rather than contacting me.

I told my Son that I contacted 9 local dealers through Facebook and only received 3 replies...

1)Thanks for reaching out, here are some gems in there but the majority are books we are not currently interested in, Good Luck!!!

2)Thank you for reaching out and supplying a list of the books, we will go over the list and get back to you.

3)The dealer that came out to the house was the only real interested party.