• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a deal, or reason 764 why I don't do Facebook deals

24 posts in this topic

So let's see. I get the honor of prepaying someone I don't know for a NYCC book that just got signed and subbed (regular) and you'll pay me back if it doesn't get 9.8? And it'll come back faster than last year's NYCC turn around times cause you "know a guy"? 

Hard pass.

Screenshot_20191015-115808.thumb.png.ae9adcba6a5b2f556104d016f0da832c.png

Once it's back I have no repurcussion cause I'm past the dispute period for PayPal, so I have to have faith in some random guy to get me money back when it gets a 9.6 or a 9.4?

Oh Facebook, you are entertaining though...

and just to be clear, I know that this is common practice on here with some of the pre-sale modern guys, but it's different when working with someone who you know for years and has a long board history vs random guy on a random facebook group. 

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

"LOL"... 

Man, what happened to the days when you would just walk up to your favorite comic artist, have a pleasant short conversation and just have him sign your book?...

images.jpg

There's a fee for that now....with pretty much everyone. Most asked 10  but donnie cates was cool he said 1 book for free at least. Liefeld wanted 40.....no way. Walked right past him. This was at nycc.

Edited by jason4

41 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm well aware of that

Back in "my day" :preach:  Everybody was free. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Bob Kane, Siegal and Schuster, Carl Barks, Wally Wood, Al Williamson, Harvey Kurtzman, Bill Gaines, Carmen Infantino, Gill Kane and the list goes on. Free and sometimes with a small sketch. I got 'em all and then some. It amazes me what some of these new "flash in the pan" guys charge their fans. One piece should always be free. Now if you are spending stupid money to have some somebody else do it for you and imprisioning it in a plastic tomb for immediate profit, I guess I see their point...

I passed on Liefeld for free...

Sometimes it pays to be old!

I see a lot artists will have reduced prices or free signings for non cgc books so I see their point for charging when your doing the CGC SS and offering for free or cheaper prices on the non-graded books. 

18 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I hate when I'm talking to someone and they add LOL when they write something I may not like.

It's annoying LOL

Your statement goes well with you sigline :baiting::tink:

aceu8k.png&key=48a9656b13c92a4ca9c2a246b

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

So let's see. I get the honor of prepaying someone I don't know for a NYCC book that just got signed and subbed (regular) and you'll pay me back if it doesn't get 9.8? And it'll come back faster than last year's NYCC turn around times cause you "know a guy"? 

Hard pass.

Screenshot_20191015-115808.thumb.png.ae9adcba6a5b2f556104d016f0da832c.png

Once it's back I have no repurcussion cause I'm past the dispute period for PayPal, so I have to have faith in some random guy to get me money back when it gets a 9.6 or a 9.4?

Oh Facebook, you are entertaining though...

Tell him you know a guy who knows him and he says you dont know anyone at CGC.

18 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Your statement goes well with you sigline :baiting::tink:

aceu8k.png&key=48a9656b13c92a4ca9c2a246b

sorry LOL

No worries! But I'm probably guilty of it the most lol

Do you mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down! :foryou:

When I spell "lol" it does the laughy face haha, I guess that I think I'm funny! :insane: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

At Rose City Comic Con this year my wife and I signed about three dozen Sabrina the Teenage Witch #1's -- about a half dozen were CGC Witnessed, the people that brought those insisted on paying us for the signatures-- so we've now implemented a signing fee for non-personalized CGC witnessed books.  We had one person complain about it at Ace Comic Con but if you're slabbing a bunch of copies it's not because you're a big fan of the book (or of ours) so we charge a $10 signing fee.  Raw books no charge.