• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed books not in window bags - Is grading effected?

5 posts in this topic

I went to ComicCon in NYC this year as a grading n00b.  I've bought graded books, but never had one graded myself.

I bought one copy of every issue (including variant covers) of the entire John Wick series.  I wanted to have them signed since both Pak and Valletta were going to be there.  I never even cracked the books open, I bought separate copies to read.  So, theoretically, the books were mint.

I had them signed *without* using window covers.  I don't know, I guess I didn't understand them or didn't think to do it or whatever.  Anyway, they were therefore handled twice; once by each artist.

Did I blow it badly?  What are the odds these come back 9.8 or better?  I'd guess they might have fingerprints on them, which could effect the grades?

Any help for a n00b is appreciated.

1.  Fingerprints would adversely affect the grade.  The significance of the effect would depend on the impact of the fingerprint and to some extent how noticeable it is, like if the cover is a solid color and the fingerprint is quite obvious, that'd worse.

2.  Equally bad would be any creases, bends, or indentations resulting from handling or just pre-existing on the comic. 

3.  While it is recommended to use window bags, there are  plenty of occurrences where window bags were not used and desired CGC grades were still achieved.

4.  Just because a person buys a book fresh of the shelf and never opens and puts it immediately into a bag and board does not automatically mean it is in high grade.  Plenty (if not most) comics are sold off the comic store shelf with existing defects.  So if you weren't extremely careful choosing the comics initially based on your grading knowledge (which it appears you might still be inexperienced), the odds are you weren't getting CGC 9.8's anyway.

5.  There is a thing called 'pressing' which is a process where they (a professional) can essentially use heat and pressure to fix some very specific flaws.  If your grades come back less than satisfactory, it MIGHT be an option for you to press and resubmit.  (do more of your own research on 'pressing'.

6.  Also, different people have different goals and preferences for their collections, not all of which are based on dollar value. 

Whether you 'blew it' or not, depends largely on your own goals and preferences (and possibly your finances).  Either way it sounds like you had money to go to New York Comic Con and literally hundreds of dollars to spend on getting comic books signed and graded without doing much research ahead of time.  So that means there's SOMETHING to be positive about.

Edited by revat

15 hours ago, revat said:

1.  Fingerprints would adversely affect the grade.  The significance of the effect would depend on the impact of the fingerprint and to some extent how noticeable it is, like if the cover is a solid color and the fingerprint is quite obvious, that'd worse.

2.  Equally bad would be any creases, bends, or indentations resulting from handling or just pre-existing on the comic. 

3.  While it is recommended to use window bags, there are  plenty of occurrences where window bags were not used and desired CGC grades were still achieved.

4.  Just because a person buys a book fresh of the shelf and never opens and puts it immediately into a bag and board does not automatically mean it is in high grade.  Plenty (if not most) comics are sold off the comic store shelf with existing defects.  So if you weren't extremely careful choosing the comics initially based on your grading knowledge (which it appears you might still be inexperienced), the odds are you weren't getting CGC 9.8's anyway.

5.  There is a thing called 'pressing' which is a process where they (a professional) can essentially use heat and pressure to fix some very specific flaws.  If your grades come back less than satisfactory, it MIGHT be an option for you to press and resubmit.  (do more of your own research on 'pressing'.

6.  Also, different people have different goals and preferences for their collections, not all of which are based on dollar value

Whether you 'blew it' or not, depends largely on your own goals and preferences (and possibly your finances).  Either way it sounds like you had money to go to New York Comic Con and literally hundreds of dollars to spend on getting comic books signed and graded without doing much research ahead of time.  So that means there's SOMETHING to be positive about.

wait what people dont collect comics just for fun or to read or for artwork or sentimental reasons... :ohnoez::ohnoez::whatthe:

lol damnit I've been doing it all wrong :makepoint::facepalm:

19 hours ago, HighGradeComics said:

I went to ComicCon in NYC this year as a grading n00b.  I've bought graded books, but never had one graded myself.

I bought one copy of every issue (including variant covers) of the entire John Wick series.  I wanted to have them signed since both Pak and Valletta were going to be there.  I never even cracked the books open, I bought separate copies to read.  So, theoretically, the books were mint.

I had them signed *without* using window covers.  I don't know, I guess I didn't understand them or didn't think to do it or whatever.  Anyway, they were therefore handled twice; once by each artist.

Did I blow it badly?  What are the odds these come back 9.8 or better?  I'd guess they might have fingerprints on them, which could effect the grades?

Any help for a n00b is appreciated.

I would say that it is probably safer and you have a better chance at a 9.8 if you pick the correct book off the shelf inspect it and use a window bag to get it signed.

As I bought a book got it signed didn't have a leftover window bag as I didn't plan on getting that book or signing it but convention fever set it in so I couldn't resist. learned the hard way artists usually have greasy fingerprints specially after a slice of pizza or something lol  9.8 came back 9.6 lol oh well lesson learned kind of wasn't to much hung up on grade so it didn't bother me and it wasn't a expensive book just wanted to add to my collection with a CGC SS