• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel announces Kevin Feige as CCO

23 posts in this topic

The move puts the overall creative direction of the studio's storytelling and content creation across mediums, including publishing, film, TV, and animation, under the executive.

In a reflection of his growing authority, Marvel president Kevin Feige has also been named the company’s chief creative officer, Disney said on Tuesday. The move puts the overall creative direction of Marvel’s storytelling and content creation across mediums, including publishing, film, TV, and animation, under Feige.

In addition, Marvel TV and Marvel Family Entertainment, which produced animation, are also moving under the Marvel Studios banner, which Feige runs. Marvel has had separate heads running its film, television, publishing and other divisions. The new title for Feige places creative oversight under the veteran executive. He will continue to report to Walt Disney Studios co-chairman and chief creative officer Alan Horn and co-chairman Alan Bergman.

The consolidation has been coming for some time. Marvel Entertainment’s chairman Ike Perlmutter had been moved away from any film input after Feige threatened to leave in 2015. And while Marvel’s TV shows on ABC have been consistently underwhelming, and its Netflix slate of shows cratered, Feige this summer took charge of the new slate of shows that will be appearing on Disney+. Those shows will be tied to the wildly popular cinematic universe on which Marvel and Disney have been surfing on in recent years.

(It is unclear what this new structure means for Marvel's current head of TV, Jeph Loeb.)

The changes in the publishing side, the silo which feeds the screened entertainment side, highlight the shift. Dan Buckley will continue as president of Marvel Entertainment, still overseeing publishing’s creative and editorial drive while now reporting to Feige.

Edited by Bosco685

So do we assume at this point Ike Perlmutter truly is completely out of Marvel Entertainment? I couldn't see him allowing this after being backdoored by Feige with Bob Iger over Marvel Studios (and well deserved).

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

So do we assume at this point Ike Perlmutter truly is completely out of Marvel Entertainment? I couldn't see him allowing this after being backdoored by Feige with Bob Iger over Marvel Studios (and well deserved).

Unfortunately no, the article continues: "Changes on the publishing side, the silo which feeds the screened entertainment side, highlight the shift. Dan Buckley will continue as president of Marvel Entertainment, still overseeing publishing’s creative and editorial drive while now reporting to Feige. But Buckley’s duties relating to publishing operations, sales, creative services, games, licensing and events will see him reporting to Perlmutter, who remains chairman.

For the time being, Marvel Entertainment’s creative leads remain the same. Sana Amanat, vp content and character development; CB Cebulski, editor-in-chief and head of global editorial; and Stephen Wacker, vp creative and content development, will continue to report to Buckley. Joe Quesada, executive vp and creative director of Marvel Entertainment, also reports to Buckley."

38 minutes ago, O. said:

Unfortunately no, the article continues: "Changes on the publishing side, the silo which feeds the screened entertainment side, highlight the shift. Dan Buckley will continue as president of Marvel Entertainment, still overseeing publishing’s creative and editorial drive while now reporting to Feige. But Buckley’s duties relating to publishing operations, sales, creative services, games, licensing and events will see him reporting to Perlmutter, who remains chairman.

For the time being, Marvel Entertainment’s creative leads remain the same. Sana Amanat, vp content and character development; CB Cebulski, editor-in-chief and head of global editorial; and Stephen Wacker, vp creative and content development, will continue to report to Buckley. Joe Quesada, executive vp and creative director of Marvel Entertainment, also reports to Buckley."

Good catch! I missed his name.

This must be coming from on-high, forcing Perlmutter's hand. But if Feige is the Marvel CCO, I would think he is at least a dotted line into Perlmutter when it comes to comic books.

What a weird structure. Yet the films, TV shows and comic book divisions all continue to grow.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

The move puts the overall creative direction of the studio's storytelling and content creation across mediums, including publishing, film, TV, and animation, under the executive.

In a reflection of his growing authority, Marvel president Kevin Feige has also been named the company’s chief creative officer, Disney said on Tuesday. The move puts the overall creative direction of Marvel’s storytelling and content creation across mediums, including publishing, film, TV, and animation, under Feige.

In addition, Marvel TV and Marvel Family Entertainment, which produced animation, are also moving under the Marvel Studios banner, which Feige runs. Marvel has had separate heads running its film, television, publishing and other divisions.

Yes!  I wonder if now they'll bring back Daredevil, Punisher, Defenders or the best of the Netflix Marvel shows under Disney+ and allow them to actually crossover/be involved in the MCU.  I mean how badass would it be to have a DD or Punisher cameo in the next Spider-Man movie.  maybe.  but they've got to do something with that train wreck of Agents of Shield.  Maybe get Nick Fury into a Marvel version of the Blacklist.  Too bad Black Widow had to die.  I could watch ScarJo beat up bad guys all day long as an elite Agent of Shield operative.  Guess she's got her own movie but would still have loved to see a weekly program with her.

3 hours ago, justafan said:

Yes!  I wonder if now they'll bring back Daredevil, Punisher, Defenders or the best of the Netflix Marvel shows under Disney+ and allow them to actually crossover/be involved in the MCU.  I mean how badass would it be to have a DD or Punisher cameo in the next Spider-Man movie.  maybe.  but they've got to do something with that train wreck of Agents of Shield.  Maybe get Nick Fury into a Marvel version of the Blacklist.  Too bad Black Widow had to die.  I could watch ScarJo beat up bad guys all day long as an elite Agent of Shield operative.  Guess she's got her own movie but would still have loved to see a weekly program with her.

The first season started out slow, for sure.  But I've watched seasons 1-5 and I've found the quality has improved with every season and I've really enjoyed what they've done with the series overall. 

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

This sounds exactly like what Feige was doing before only now he's officially in charge of television shows.

Films, TV shows, live, animated and supposed comic book involvement as well.

Doesn't exactly sound like his role prior to this announcement to me.

I think with Punisher it depends on where they are going with MCU and Fantastic Four because as we all know Punisher becomes....nevertheless I'm in season 2 of Punisher right now, I'm not sure why I never got into it in the first place, or why I was so reluctant too, but its WICKED!!

On 10/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I think with Punisher it depends on where they are going with MCU and Fantastic Four because as we all know Punisher becomes....nevertheless I'm in season 2 of Punisher right now, I'm not sure why I never got into it in the first place, or why I was so reluctant too, but its WICKED!!

You’ve got some good binging ahead of u

A lot of changes are coming to Marvel over the coming months as movie producer Kevin Feige is now taking over as the creative head for every branch of the superhero company. This is a massive move, as Feige originally split Marvel Studios from the rest of the company after feuding with Marvel Entertainment Chairman Ike Perlmutter. While the Disney shareholder's future with the company is murky at this point, this is also leading to speculation that Marvel Television boss Jeph Loeb could be on his way out the door as well.

A new report from Variety indicates that Loeb is expected to leave Marvel Television soon in the wake of Feige's takeover.

Loeb is responsible for series such as Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, Cloak & Dagger, and the upcoming Offenders animated series that include Howard the Duck.

Marvel Television has been a separate entity from Marvel Studios but started out teasing their involvement in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the tagline "It's All Connected," but as the movies distanced themselves from the TV show events, they started to become more self-contained.

All of this comes from the acrimonious split between Feige and Perlmutter, with Disney boss Bob Iger even commenting on the dispute in his book "The Ride of a Lifetime," in which he detailed the decision to split Marvel Studios from Perlmutter's direction and give Feige creative freedom.

“We had a chance to make a great movie and to showcase an underrepresented segment of America, and those goals were not mutually exclusive,” Iger wrote. “I called Ike and told him to tell his team to stop putting up roadblocks and ordered that we put both ‘Black Panther’ and ‘Captain Marvel’ into production.”

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I actually have enjoyed Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones (at times) and Cloak & Dagger. So his run has been fairly good for the most part.

I like some of them too but I think overall tv section as a missed opportunity as a whole. Crossing my fingers Marvel does pick up Daredevil and Jessica Jones lead stars for their universe...:wishluck: