• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The elusive 9.9 - 10.0
1 1

114 posts in this topic

New to the board and to grading so sorry for a potentially stupid question but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions...

Is there any value in submitting your potential 9.8 comics for a press and clean prior to grading in the chances it may bump them to the elusive 9.9+ grade or would it be money not well spent?

You could try...

BUT my understanding is that 9.9's and 10's are all about presentation, example, is it well centered? along with absolutely no flaws etc....

AND my point being that pressing is probably not going to help with that.....

:insane: it kind of makes since to do it just to make sure you get a 9.8, in case there was something you missed, but idk, with this market it "seems" 9.8 or bust, depending on preference :foryou:

@Richard Stokes

6 minutes ago, revat said:

not a stupid question IMO.

and nothing wrong with press and clean before subbing, although of course it depends on the economics.  BUT I think generally getting a 9.9 or 10.0 SHOULD NOT BE A FACTOR in  your decision making.  Anytime that happens is just a happy bonus.  Factor your economics as if 9.8 is your high possible grade.  This may change if you personally have experience in regularly identifying 9.9-10.0's or comics that press into 9.9-10.0 comics (which really applies to very very very few people). 

good luck!

+1000

9.9's and 10's are like hitting the lottery. Shoot for 9.8's and if you score higher, congrats, the grader was in a particularly good mood that day!

Personally I wouldn't try it. I think you have a far higher chance of getting a lower grade.

Someone has to handle the book (mishandled during case break-out, fingerprints, smudges, dirt, etc.) and a press doesn't always mean improvement (inexperience, staple impressions, warping, color rub, etc.)  

7 minutes ago, Richard Stokes said:

Not seeking, I understand the probability is very low, just wondered about bumping yours odds a little but what Adamantium and revat said makes sense. 9.8 is always my aim for the high grades, it was pure curiosity and hope of one day getting one of those grades back.

Sure! no worries :) like revat said, it presumably couldn't hurt, provided the "economics" like is the cost of pressing affordable even if your only getting 9.8's back etc...

16 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

Personally I wouldn't try it. I think you have a far higher chance of getting a lower grade.

Someone has to handle the book (mishandled during case break-out, fingerprints, smudges, dirt, etc.) and a press doesn't always mean improvement (inexperience, staple impressions, warping, color rub, etc.)  

your point is taken, but I don't think he was talking about crack and re-sub of existing 9.8's.  Just pressing potential raw 9.8's to get a better shot at 9.9 or 10.0.

10 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Just the act of looking at your book creates enough flaws to prevent it ever getting a 9.9 or 10.0.

Even thinking about the book can cause further damage.

2 hours ago, Richard Stokes said:

Not seeking, I understand the probability is very low, just wondered about bumping yours odds a little but what Adamantium and revat said makes sense. 9.8 is always my aim for the high grades, it was pure curiosity and hope of one day getting one of those grades back.

This poses a very good question. I wonder how many 9.9s were resubmitted 9.8s vs. a book grading 9.9 on its initial submission. There's no stat available on that via CGC, is there?

3 hours ago, kav said:

Even thinking about the book can cause further damage.

OMG, I both looked and thought, I even thought about actually touching the book, now it’s just a 9.4, somebody stop me!

Edited by Jaylam

4 hours ago, Richard Stokes said:

New to the board and to grading so sorry for a potentially stupid question but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions...

Is there any value in submitting your potential 9.8 comics for a press and clean prior to grading in the chances it may bump them to the elusive 9.9+ grade or would it be money not well spent?

Simple answer?

No. Waste of money. 

4 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I pray to hit a 9.9 on one of my subs someday. I've only heard of a couple cases where someone was able to identify a flaw that was keeping a book from a 9.9. Best of luck in the grading game.

PS... Lenticular covers don't count lol

I press all of my lenticular covers.  :bigsmile: