• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The elusive 9.9 - 10.0
1 1

114 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, romanheart said:

The quality of the process for making a book is pretty impressive for moderns as opposed to the days of pulp. If you buy a 100 unread books and submitted them all, wouldn't you get at least one 9.9?

Only if they are Lady Death or Batman Damned.

25 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Only if they are Lady Death or Batman Damned.

Batman Damned and Notti & Nyce get 10.0's up the yin yang.

I talked to a dealer at comic con this year (I forget which one but on of the big guys selling books) who said hes submitted tons (thousands?) of books for grading and only got back a few 9.9s and zero 10s. He said he gets 1-2 9.9s per 100 submissions that he believes are 9.8 on average.

1-2 in 100 chance? I would never crack a 9.8 to hope for that. 

15 hours ago, Richard Stokes said:

New to the board and to grading so sorry for a potentially stupid question but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions...

Is there any value in submitting your potential 9.8 comics for a press and clean prior to grading in the chances it may bump them to the elusive 9.9+ grade or would it be money not well spent?

If you have a potential 9.8 then I'd recommend getting the book pressed and cleaned just to get the 9.8 let alone a 9.9 or 10.  If you are thinking about breaking out a 9.8 and pressing and cleaning to get a 9.9 or 10.0 then you are destined for less money in your bank account.

16 hours ago, Richard Stokes said:

New to the board and to grading so sorry for a potentially stupid question but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions...

Is there any value in submitting your potential 9.8 comics for a press and clean prior to grading in the chances it may bump them to the elusive 9.9+ grade or would it be money not well spent?

Answered your own question.

58 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

58 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Answered your own question.

Yes, instead of wasting money chasing a 9.9 or 10.0, please throw that money you would have spent into my trash can as posted above.

I've subbed a few books over the years (nothing on par with what a lot of boardies sub) and have only gotten a single 9.9, and this was 10 years or so ago. I think that a book is either a 9.9/10 candidate in its natural state, or it isn't. I don't know that you can press a 9.8 into a 9.9. Could be wrong though!

I wish CGC employees would participate on these boards. I think Lion's Den is an ex (I apologize if this isn't so), but some of these questions need answers. Wouldn't it be nice if a CGC grader would give us the skinny on 9.9s/10s? Wouldn't it be cool if a CGC QC employee chimed in on why so many NRs are received by us? Wouldn't it be awesome if a CGC employee answered the received delays fiasco?

23 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Wouldn't it be nice if a CGC grader would give us the skinny on 9.9s/10s? 

It's not rocket science. 

10 = perfect 

9.9 = 1 tiny manufacturing defect allowed; no handling defects; otherwise perfect

Just because you can't see a given flaw does not mean it's not there. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I think that a book is either a 9.9/10 candidate in its natural state, or it isn't. I don't know that you can press a 9.8 into a 9.9. 

Pretty much. :) 

30 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I wish CGC employees would participate on these boards. I think Lion's Den is an ex (I apologize if this isn't so), but some of these questions need answers. Wouldn't it be nice if a CGC grader would give us the skinny on 9.9s/10s? Wouldn't it be cool if a CGC QC employee chimed in on why so many NRs are received by us? Wouldn't it be awesome if a CGC employee answered the received delays fiasco?

He ^ answered the Mint/Gem Mint identification for you.

QC obviously has their own problems. It's Customer Service's job to communicate with us (they do, and have, on these boards).

Delays are obviously caused by queue. Not sure exactly which delays you're talking about, though.

20 hours ago, kav said:

If you seek the elusive 9.9s and 10.0s you will be a very frustrated individual.  If it were this easy, people would already be doing it up the yin yang.

I haven't submitted any yins or yang's yet. Which has the best 10.0 return rate?

584199.jpg.ac5d8c2de9eef0565f0c76eb6869b2a2.jpg

999345.jpg

pg.30.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

If you really want the best shot at a 10. Call up the printers for Batman Damned have them privately print about 1,000+ of your own comic where the cover is your cgc submission form pre filled out and have them shipped directly to cgc .

Is there any way to get CGC rep to stand by printer and pull books as they come off the press and immediately slab all the 10.0's?