• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The elusive 9.9 - 10.0
1 1

114 posts in this topic

Thanks all for the feedback and to clarify, I'd never crack a 9.8 and resubmit in the hopes of a better grade. I just meant when you have a comic that visually looks like its a 9.8, but it sounds like it could be worth a quick press to ensure the 9.8 at the very least if money permits.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Is there any way to get CGC rep to stand by printer and pull books as they come off the press and immediately slab all the 10.0's?

The crazy thing about 10s is that you could literally stand next to the press and pull a thousand books directly from the rollers...and 999 of them would probably fail to meet the standard. 

58 minutes ago, Richard Stokes said:

Thanks all for the feedback and to clarify, I'd never crack a 9.8 and resubmit in the hopes of a better grade. I just meant when you have a comic that visually looks like its a 9.8, but it sounds like it could be worth a quick press to ensure the 9.8 at the very least if money permits.

I'd say a press for "reasons of security" isn't a bad idea if you're desperate and copies aren't readily available....

but doing it strictly for the purpose of a 9.9 or a 10.0? May as well set your money on fire. 

23 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

PS... Lenticular covers don't count lol

To be fair, you're extremely more likely to get a 9.9+ on lenticular, chromium, metallic, cardstock, or squarebound.

Seeing a 9.9+ on a regular old flimsy stapled cover is where the lottery odds really kick in. :foryou: 

Tried to find a pic of the Thor 156 10.0 but all the old threads people used image hosting that does not stand the test of time.  Never understand why people use image hosting instead of just downloading the image then uploading it, which lasts forever.

32 minutes ago, romanheart said:

From a pure statical point of view, grades should roughly reflect a Gaussian curve and those stellar grades should pop up with a known percentage over time. If not, then those grades reflect something else.

The percentage is available-merely divide the # of 9.9s and 10.0s (by year) over total submissions and multiply by 100.

5 hours ago, kav said:

Tried to find a pic of the Thor 156 10.0 but all the old threads people used image hosting that does not stand the test of time.  Never understand why people use image hosting instead of just downloading the image then uploading it, which lasts forever.

Image hosts used to be a much, much better option than direct uploads to the boards.

2 hours ago, romanheart said:

From a pure statical point of view, grades should roughly reflect a Gaussian curve and those stellar grades should pop up with a known percentage over time. If not, then those grades reflect something else.

This, this, this, this, times 10,000, this. Thank you. THANK YOU. I've been saying that for years, but no one seems to care. 

:D

3 hours ago, romanheart said:

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This, this, this, this, times 10,000, this. Thank you. THANK YOU. I've been saying that for years, but no one seems to care. 

:D

A few of us care. 

Matt Nelson - back before his business was purchased by CCG (parent company of CGC and others) used to have a detailed article with graphs showing how there OUGHT TO BE more 9.9's and 10's than we see. They should be expected to be seen in some predictable ratio to the other better than NM grades. But they were not. 

When he got owned and moved in house with CGC, that article went away.  In the absence of any logic or expected ratios of 9.8 to 9.9 and 10, it sorta looks more like (winning) lottery ticket's than grades. Just sayin.  And something I find even more.....interesting.... for lack of a better word is that all the 9.9's of the older vintage books were handed out in the first couple of years CGC was in business. Then never - or almost never - again. 

Edited by Tony S

Oh god not this again.

I'll say it one last time-if people got their wish and 9.9s and 10.0s became more easily attainable as they wish, so they could get much more money, they wouldnt be WORTH much more money anymore, and they would be back to square one.  Less than square one, because there would be nothing higher to attain to get the big bucks they want so bad-

3 hours ago, kav said:

Oh god not this again.

I'll say it one last time-if people got their wish and 9.9s and 10.0s became more easily attainable as they wish, so they could get much more money, they wouldnt be WORTH much more money anymore, and they would be back to square one.  Less than square one, because there would be nothing higher to attain to get the big bucks they want so bad-

Not necessarily easier, but more consistent.

16 hours ago, romanheart said:

What grade are you placing at the center (median) of the curve? 

This is not as easy a question as it sounds and involves math a bit higher than calculus.

Edited by kav