• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,009 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

DC didn't stop newsstand distribution until just the last few years, so that title should've run to its conclusion in both versions, although a quick look for the last few issues on the Bay shows that it would probably be a challenging run to complete in newsstands (didn't see anything for 70-73). That reminds me, I have a CGC 9.4 Batgirl 12 (the Steph series) newsstand. Not sure if I have an image of it or not.

appreciate this but I am almost certain consistency is off amongst titles, e.g., batgirl vol 1 ended newsstand at issue 69 and the stephanie brown series started at issue 12. just like I'm sure there's no newsstand version of battle chasers 1 and young avengers 1.

1 hour ago, devald said:

appreciate this but I am almost certain consistency is off amongst titles, e.g., batgirl vol 1 ended newsstand at issue 69 and the stephanie brown series started at issue 12. just like I'm sure there's no newsstand version of battle chasers 1 and young avengers 1.

Huh, well that's interesting. Seems really bizarre for a publisher to completely drop a long-running title from newsstand distribution like that (even if it was set for cancellation), but I've never actively hunted for NS Batgirls. Guess that'll be the one new thing I learn for the day. 

6 minutes ago, divad said:

Where are you finding these? (generically speaking)

Today these came from an LCS in the standard back issues. However, I’ve started checking just about any Marvel or DC from the last 15 years or so. Just to give you an idea, I spent nearly an hour checking every applicable book in about five long boxes. You just have to pull the issues all the way out to see the barcode on the (usually) bottom of the book. So that takes just however much more time than simply flipping through.

3 hours ago, BishopT said:

Some more I pulled out of misc boxes the other night and rebagged:

you're going to hate yourself if you put them elsewhere . . . i just put a post-it flag on them and leave them in order.

The only modern newsstand issues I have are Fantastic Four #554-569 from 2008-2009:

ff_newsies1.jpg.972137b3da246826ea170cc4896e39e0.jpg

I hope to replace them some day with the direct editions because I don't like the look of the newsstand covers.

Here's a comparison (direct on the left, newsstand on the right):

ff_newsies2.thumb.jpg.16e3c93b7d5b2a4f3b6881bcd114ab66.jpg

Edited by Mr. Spider-Woman

On 10/24/2019 at 5:15 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

The only modern newsstand issues I have are Fantastic Four #554-569 from 2008-2009:

ff_newsies1.jpg.972137b3da246826ea170cc4896e39e0.jpg

I hope to replace them some day with the direct editions because I don't like the look of the newsstand covers.

Here's a comparison (direct on the left, newsstand on the right):

ff_newsies2.thumb.jpg.16e3c93b7d5b2a4f3b6881bcd114ab66.jpg

Ha, classic example of "One man's junk..." as I've been looking for late newsstand FF's lately with almost no luck.