• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@FlyingDonut I ran into a small slew of Newsstands today, I only usually get the ones that differ in price to the direct version, kind of my thing since CGC sometimes recognizes those on the label....

My question: Would these be recognized on the label?

X-men 202 2007

20191108_142515.thumb.jpg.6249f4d6fc99e0

and this New X-men #151 2004

20191108_142527.thumb.jpg.8ffbeeb1d9ff32

any help appreciated :) 

I think both would because they have different prices on them then the directs

Cover for X-Men (Marvel, 2004 series) #202Cover for New X-Men (Marvel, 2001 series) #151 [Direct Edition]

31 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

In theory, they will be because they're priced differently than Directs. In practice, CGC does not have a separate entry for either of them yet.

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
50 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

In theory, they will be because they're priced differently than Directs. In practice, CGC does not have a separate entry for either of them yet.

Except that none of those copies are nice enough to be slabbed . . . :whistle:

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I think both would because they have different prices on them then the directs

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Thanks guys :)

There were a slew of newsstand editions, but only these two after looking them up were priced different than the direct. I was seeing if I got my "math straight" lol this time...

I messaged @Get Marwood & I to see if these were newsstands priced different than "other newsstand editions", so that I could contribute to his thread about newsstands from ?? Year to ?? Year. As I'm not too familiar with those, he stated these might not fit that "category".

And I understand it being "in theory", because I submitted that low low grade ASM #606 $3.99 newsstand price "edition" and there was a drop down menu for it under the "variant option"......

These 2 for fun, I started a submission form, but there was no $3.99 edition in the drop down menu lol

I said all that to say, "they may qualify", but haven't been notated as such....

I'm sure no one really is on fire with these, but I think they are interesting :foryou:

I got ASM #'s 606 & 607 added to the registry for cert insertion towards registry points in the ASM complete with variants, since those labels already receive notation and are laid out seperately in the registry. Now you can add those books toward points and such....

Anyway thanks for the feedback, I'm slowly groundworking my way into some board knowledge.

If I pick up enough for a submission, I may try and make sure those would be recognized first. It'll be a learning experience! (thumbsu

Thanks Again!

3 minutes ago, divad said:

Except that none of those copies are nice enough to be slabbed . . . :whistle:

I'm not "caring about condition" too much lol

These I'm just collecting to collect...

When I got both for under $3, I figure to me it's worth it...

Especially since I've been around long enough to see across the board submission prices go up...

Might as well on the cheap :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

44 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks guys :)

There were a slew of newsstand editions, but only these two after looking them up were priced different than the direct. I was seeing if I got my "math straight" lol this time...

I messaged @Get Marwood & I to see if these were newsstands priced different than "other newsstand editions", so that I could contribute to his thread about newsstands from ?? Year to ?? Year. As I'm not too familiar with those, he stated these might not fit that "category".

And I understand it being "in theory", because I submitted that low low grade ASM #606 $3.99 newsstand price "edition" and there was a drop down menu for it under the "variant option"......

These 2 for fun, I started a submission form, but there was no $3.99 edition in the drop down menu lol

I said all that to say, "they may qualify", but haven't been notated as such....

I'm sure no one really is on fire with these, but I think they are interesting :foryou:

I got ASM #'s 606 & 607 added to the registry for cert insertion towards registry points in the ASM complete with variants, since those labels already receive notation and are laid out seperately in the registry. Now you can add those books toward points and such....

Anyway thanks for the feedback, I'm slowly groundworking my way into some board knowledge.

If I pick up enough for a submission, I may try and make sure those would be recognized first. It'll be a learning experience! (thumbsu

Thanks Again!

I just PM'd you. I would prefer CGC not to call books like these "$3.99 newsstand editions". I think it's misleading, as it could give the impression that the price is special. It isn't. It's just the newsstand edition, and sometimes they are priced differently to the direct copies. The only time it would make sense to highlight the price would be if there were copies of the same newsstand edition with different prices.

Like these:

2.3.thumb.PNG.5f32895ad11b4c718a99e9bcdd19c56a.PNG

Other than that, I would prefer that they just stuck to differentiating directs and newsstands. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I just PM'd you. I would prefer CGC not to call books like these "$3.99 newsstand editions". I think it's misleading, as it could give the impression that the price is special. It isn't. It's just the newsstand edition, and sometimes they are priced differently to the direct copies. The only time it would make sense to highlight the price would be if there were different copies of the same newsstand edition with different prices.

Like these:

2.3.thumb.PNG.5f32895ad11b4c718a99e9bcdd19c56a.PNG

Other than that, I would prefer that they just stuck to differentiating directs and newsstands. 

I get that and see your point! That makes sense :)

partly part of the reason that I'm subbing them, but if I find them cheap, I'll do it until cgc changes their mind...

if I get them cheap enough that it doesn't matter lol

I'm definitely not made of money ha, so if they change it I'm good with that :foryou:

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Rarely have I seen this:

ultimatespiderman001.jpeg

The K-B Toys reprint?

I had so many USM variants back in the day I've forgotten more than I remember now:

953918901_USM1signedbag.thumb.jpg.a3286e92003f9334f46a62155886c9bb.jpg  1985097881_USM1signedbagb.thumb.jpg.a88ae618d0c64aaef93a994754f9d836.jpg

A few others...

208991218_usm11v(2).jpg.5e67bdbd132ccc64776c741498ec313d.jpg

usm11v.thumb.jpg.141dc84565767774d9c3548a39a61181.jpg

1052688625_usm13v(2).jpg.f33725ad0268810851fbd1e7588e71ac.jpg

usm13v.thumb.jpg.847c9fe9502fea54a1455349a79db517.jpg

Those were the days...

Wow @Lifesuggs last I remember you were selling? some? every time your books are mentioned I'm broke lol :( But I'm glad that you've accumulated them all! :headbang: 

I know where to look if I ever get the gumption! lol:foryou:

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wow @Lifesuggs last I remember you were selling? some? every time your books are mentioned I'm broke lol :( But I'm glad that you've accumulated them all! :headbang: 

I know where to look if I ever get the gumption! lol:foryou:

Unfortunately I am shockingly lazy when it comes to selling,

occasionally I get motivated and post some, like just sold a 9.4 Tec 880

but mostly it’s organize and saying “eh I’ll do it tomorrow”

On 11/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@FlyingDonut I ran into a small slew of Newsstands today, I only usually get the ones that differ in price to the direct version, kind of my thing since CGC sometimes recognizes those on the label....

X-men 202 2007

20191108_142515.thumb.jpg.6249f4d6fc99e0

and this New X-men #151 2004

20191108_142527.thumb.jpg.8ffbeeb1d9ff32

any help appreciated :) 

CGC would put newsstand price variant on the label of those books. Only because the prices differ from the direct market versions. 

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

A couple of dollar books from HPB today. I pretty much never run into the Rebirth newsies around here. Would love to put together a set but it'll be slow going, I'm afraid. 

IMG_9193.JPG

IMG_9195.JPG

IMG_9196.JPG

Lol I thought that I tagged you in the garage sale thread in comics general lol

To see if you used the half price books coupons lol

Good to see you post! Cool finds!

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I thought that I tagged you in the garage sale thread in comics general lol

To see if you used the half price books coupons lol

Good to see you post! Cool finds!

Yeah, thanks for looking out, I had the coupons but didn't find much. I'd hoped to use the 50% coupon on a Mickey Mouse Color Sundays box set I'd had my eye on, but someone beat me to it. So, didn't really find anything to use it on. Oh well!

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, thanks for looking out, I had the coupons but didn't find much. I'd hoped to use the 50% coupon on a Mickey Mouse Color Sundays box set I'd had my eye on, but someone beat me to it. So, didn't really find anything to use it on. Oh well!

cool, i found the newssies i posted at the top of this page at hpb, it's always hit and miss...at hpb

i think they must be still setting up at con's because even the "keys" box at my location is so not filled they have regular dictionary books in there to prop up some bronze drek lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM