• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:

This came back today, little annoyed they noticed the color rub on the back but ignored the newsstand note

E994BA5B-B6C3-46D9-9192-3B303370ACC6.jpeg

Bmcmanus@cgccomics.com send an email with pics from the net how it should look, I think brittany will be accommodating in fixing it free and refunding shipping :wishluck:

Edit but awesome book! I have an 8.5 as well!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bmcmanus@cgccomics.com send an email with pics from the net how it should look, I think brittany will be accommodating in fixing it free and refunding shipping :wishluck:

Edit but awesome book! I have an 8.5 as well!

@Lifesuggs

I'm assuming you're the one that subbed It?

Brittany McManus is pretty cool about these things, especially when it's your own personal sub, send a copy of your email with her when you send it lol

That helps remind why it's addressed to her :)

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Lifesuggs

I'm assuming you're the one that subbed It?

Brittany McManus is pretty cool about these things, especially when it's your own personal sub, send a copy of your email with her when you send it lol

That helps remind why it's addressed to her :)

Yeah they were good last time they messed one up. I sent in a ren and stimpy signed by Slott that they missed the fact it had no black ink inside, sent it back for my green label!

9 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:

Yeah they were good last time they messed one up. I sent in a ren and stimpy signed by Slott that they missed the fact it had no black ink inside, sent it back for my green label!

Ah well then you've been there before, cool! And again awesome book!

Would any of you happen to know if Transformers Generation 2 from Marvel has newsstand copies for issues 8-12?  I know 1-7 have NS copies, but can't seem to find any of the others above that in NS format.  Is it possible print runs play into that?  I remember reading an interview with Simon Furman who said that the series was going to be cancelled by Marvel after 12 issues.

10 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

Would any of you happen to know if Transformers Generation 2 from Marvel has newsstand copies for issues 8-12?  I know 1-7 have NS copies, but can't seem to find any of the others above that in NS format.  Is it possible print runs play into that?  I remember reading an interview with Simon Furman who said that the series was going to be cancelled by Marvel after 12 issues.

As far as I know there should be. Those later ones will be harder to find than the earlier ones due to the print runs dropping over the course of the series. 

9 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

As far as I know there should be. Those later ones will be harder to find than the earlier ones due to the print runs dropping over the course of the series. 

Thanks.  I've been looking for about a year, but never seem to find any.  #1-7 were fairly easy to come across but these last 5 are proving tough.  I'll keep up the search.  

2 hours ago, mec3437 said:

Thanks.  I've been looking for about a year, but never seem to find any.  #1-7 were fairly easy to come across but these last 5 are proving tough.  I'll keep up the search.  

I’m not 100% on it but I don’t see any reason there wouldn’t be newsstands. When published in the mid 90’s newsstands were readily available almost everywhere. I mean they had started to decline but in my area they were available. I’m still looking for a new X-men 133 newsstand a year later. 

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:
6 hours ago, mec3437 said:

It's fairly unlikely that falling print runs alone would result in such a difference in availability (such that there's no evidence that 8-12 even exist) years later when we're talking about a short-lived mid-90s title.

It's definitely possible that Transformers Generation 2 is one of those titles that changed newsstand distribution status in the middle of the run.

Edited by Lazyboy
typo

35 minutes ago, rayne5446 said:

Picked up the venom flashpoint 1 newsie on a mislabeled auction.  A few BINs have been going nuts lately  

Has a 3-4K print run overall and reprints ASM 654.  Released in 2011 so tiny newsie percentage. 

You can go with that if you like but I figure these repackaged collection issues from that time (like ASM 648-650) were probably created with a number 1 on the cover and a selection of introductory issues FOR newsstand customers & probably wouldn't be very appealing to many LCS customers. 

I don't dispute that they might be tough to find and I've got both versions of the ASM one :acclaim:but my opinion would be that these are probably equal to or more common than other 2011 newsstand issues and may have even been part of some attempt to cater to that newsstand market. 

18 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

It's fairly unlikely that falling print runs alone would result in such a difference in availability (such that there's no evidence that 8-12 even exist) years later when we're talking about a short-lived mid-90s title.

It's definitely possible that Transformers Generation 2 is one of those titles that changed newsstand distribution status in the middle of the run.

I know it wouldn't be uncommon for a book to switch off from both distribution methods.  I believe Moon Knight went direct only after a certain issue number in the 1980s, and Alpha Flight had some issues that were direct only (despite having bar codes).  So, there is precedent for it.  I'll keep a look out.  Thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, rayne5446 said:

That’s an interesting take. Not sure how you really tell what the breakdown is between direct and newsstand on the collected. 

Well just to avoid a derail, the 3-4K 'print run' mentioned earlier (from comichron) is the estimated north american sales and in reality has nothing to do with newsstand copies printed or distributed.  The comic newsstand outlets lost the collectors and continuous readers to the direct market years earlier so gimmicks like these and the no number DD/Marvel Unlimited newsstand issues like the one pictured earlier were targetting casual readers, impulse buyers and former reader/collectors.

3 hours ago, rayne5446 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Picked up the venom flashpoint 1 newsie on a mislabeled auction.  A few BINs have been going nuts lately  

Has a 3-4K print run overall and reprints ASM 654.  Released in 2011

F3BBC17A-B81F-48E2-B0B5-404591D7F3F4.jpeg

Very nice!! How much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? Those white covers are tough to find clean.