• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, revat said:

It is. Despite the title of the thread, it is actually thread for modern newsstands, modern virgin comics that have nothing to do with newsstands, and what REVAT HAD FOR BREAKFAST.

In other unrelated news, this morning I made avocado toast for breakfast.  I mashed up some avocados with some Costco spinach dip, and put it on toast.  For the toast topping, I scrambled eggs, mushrooms, and sausage.  I then splashed some pepper on it.  I would have put some lemon juice in the avocado mix, but we're out.

newsies doesnt really scream, news stand barcodes but i am relatively new here if you didnt notice the post count. it could mean newly purchased. maybe the thread should be re-titled to modern news STAND books since that would be more accurate instead of using a word that is used to define someone that works in the news industry albeit it a reporter or talking head on tv or even the broadway musical. The connotative meaning just doesnt cross over well. 

next time ill post something more appropriate. but just for clarification so i dont upset the veterans of the board are uk barcodes ok to post?  

also as an aside, do you always refer to yourself in third person? you should have said "and what I had for breakfast". 

1 hour ago, NWOslave said:

newsies doesnt really scream, news stand barcodes but i am relatively new here if you didnt notice the post count. it could mean newly purchased. maybe the thread should be re-titled to modern news STAND books since that would be more accurate instead of using a word that is used to define someone that works in the news industry albeit it a reporter or talking head on tv or even the broadway musical. The connotative meaning just doesnt cross over well. 

next time ill post something more appropriate. but just for clarification so i dont upset the veterans of the board are uk barcodes ok to post?  

also as an aside, do you always refer to yourself in third person? you should have said "and what I had for breakfast". 

you're totally right about the quotation marks. 

I personally think UK barcodes are awesome, and if you have some modern ones, I think people would be pretty interested to see them here.  BUT I think just for full clarity, make sure they are 'modern' as opposed to 'copper'.  As far as I know (and I'm not an expert by any stretch), I though UK edition comics stopped in the copper age (although admittedly there is very high amount of reasonable dispute about when copper age ends). Also, there are other threads in which people post UK comics and foreign comics (though if you have modern UK newsstand issues, I think those would be great here too).

Also, and I hope this comes of as more informative than condescending (my previous post was meant to be more condescending), the 'enjoyment' of this thread is I think is generally with regard to the fact that after 2000, newsstand comics became very very rare (with some exceptions) and got even rarer with time passing.

Okay, now I know what this particular thread supposed to represent..... :) I bought this particular comic for a buck in 87 which goes to show I am old ;( . I would have posted some beautiful interior art of Jerry Ordway but I don't want to bend any pages in the scanner.   The story starts on planet apokolips with a minion discovering unconscious Superman in a firepit.  Of course the minion wonders how much he can get for selling Superman. :) ….when Superman comes to, the comic reader gets the impression that he doesn't really know who he is...and he in the end of the comic, Superman is working for Darkseid. :)  This storyline continued onto Action Comics 586 featuring the NEW GODS! Also it was only 75 cents...sigh those were the good old days I tell ya!!!!!  :) I would post that cover but apparently I had not bought the newsstand version of it. :) Oh well can't win them all. :)

superman2.jpg

Edited by Etreiw

2 hours ago, Etreiw said:

Okay, now I know what this particular thread supposed to represent..... :) I bought this particular comic for a buck in 87 which goes to show I am old ;( . I would have posted some beautiful interior art of Jerry Ordway but I don't want to bend any pages in the scanner.   The story starts on planet apokolips with a minion discovering unconscious Superman in a firepit.  Of course the minion wonders how much he can get for selling Superman. :) ….when Superman comes to, the comic reader gets the impression that he doesn't really know who he is...and he in the end of the comic, Superman is working for Darkseid. :)  This storyline continued onto Action Comics 586 featuring the NEW GODS! Also it was only 75 cents...sigh those were the good old days I tell ya!!!!!  :) I would post that cover but apparently I had not bought the newsstand version of it. :) Oh well can't win them all. :)

superman2.jpg

You’re getting there but not quite yet. It’s Modern Newsstands not Copper Age Newsstands. 

7 hours ago, Corona smith said:
10 hours ago, Etreiw said:

superman2.jpg

You’re getting there but not quite yet. It’s Modern Newsstands not Copper Age Newsstands. 

It's worth noting that moderns as for this thread would be or mean after the 2000's, not strictly as '94'95 might be considered the end of the copper age, but they're a lot harder to find after the year 2000

9 hours ago, Corona smith said:
12 hours ago, Etreiw said:

superman2.jpg

(thumbsu That one would fit over here.

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Nice work, Bishop. I'm not sure I've seen any newsstand 52's until now.

They’re  definitely few and far between. I’ve seen 2-3 various issues of that series in newsstand. Now I’ve seen 7-8. Lol. Any first appearances in those issues? Only one I’ve managed to snag was #7. Being the first Kate Kane. 

02386A1C-9D39-4BDC-97C4-600F4147DAA3.jpeg

Edited by Corona smith

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

They’re  definitely few and far between. I’ve seen 2-3 various issues of that series in newsstand. Now I’ve seen 7-8. Lol. Any first appearances in those issues? Only one I’ve managed to snag was #7. Being the first Kate Kane. 

She's the only one I know of. 11 would be the other important issue for her, although I'm not clear on if it's her first appearance in the BW costume or just a "full" appearance and the previous appearance is a cameo. I haven't read the series, but have actually heard pretty decent stuff about it.

5 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

She's the only one I know of. 11 would be the other important issue for her, although I'm not clear on if it's her first appearance in the BW costume or just a "full" appearance and the previous appearance is a cameo. I haven't read the series, but have actually heard pretty decent stuff about it.

I believe #7 is her first appearance, #9 is a cameo as Batwoman & #11’s a first full as batwoman. I still need to get a graded copy of 11 and newsstands of 9 & 11. I’ve seen them on eBay but they were more than I wanted to spend. There are a bunch of first appearances in that series though. #7,9,11,12,48 I know for sure are firsts of various characters. 

Did you resist the newsstand temptation? I saw he had a bunch of books I really want but I have to make sure the shippings figured out. I can’t bare to see more damaged newsstands. It depresses me. 

Edited by Corona smith

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

I believe #7 is her first appearance, #9 is a cameo as Batwoman & #11’s a first full as batwoman. I still need to get a graded copy of 11 and newsstands of 9 & 11. I’ve seen them on eBay but they were more than I wanted to spend. There are a bunch of first appearances in that series though. #7,9,11,12,48 I know for sure are firsts of various characters. 

Did you resist the newsstand temptation? I saw he had a bunch of books I really want but I have to make sure the shippings figured out. I can’t bare to see more damaged newsstands. It depresses me. 

I'm back in partially, the new mailers are a big improvement, but condition is still hit or miss. Unfortunately, two of the ASM's I really needed ended while I was at a doctor's appointment and they shield the office so you don't get a cell signal :facepalm:

10 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm back in partially, the new mailers are a big improvement, but condition is still hit or miss. Unfortunately, two of the ASM's I really needed ended while I was at a doctor's appointment and they shield the office so you don't get a cell signal :facepalm:

What ASMs are you looking for? Have a lot. Probably what you have, tho, if your luck is like mine.

On 3/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, Corona smith said:

02386A1C-9D39-4BDC-97C4-600F4147DAA3.jpeg

I posted a #9 I found last week. But no #11 or higher I’ve found.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, Spawnfreak said:

What ASMs are you looking for? Have a lot. Probably what you have, tho, if your luck is like mine.

Following along, I have a ton in the spider island era, and some randoms up to 700, bunch of avenging/ultimate/superior as well