• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

2,986 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, littledoom said:

I usually include a note to securely sandwich the comic in between strong/sturdy cardboard... some sellers will put the comic in between boards but not secure/fasten them w tape.. leading to sickening impact crunches...

I try and do the same and have had sellers argue that securing the books isn’t safe or secure. They’d rather they slide all around and get impact creases. Baffling. 

54 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:

Ugh, I’d cancel right then. I’m borderline neurotic when I’m packing up books.

I don't even like selling raw comics 'cause I'm so worried they'll get damaged. Is that neurotic enough?  Honestly, newsstand buying on the 'bay is just a total minefield, not just shipping but all around. I bought a "NM" run of books a few weeks ago that had clearly had some liquid spilled on them at some point before they got B&B'd, so technically I can't even toss them in the recycle bin.....but they were issues I needed and a few were decent if you squint when you look at them, so I just decided to suck it up until I can locate upgrades. Even now I just let out a huge sigh of disappointment thinking back on it, it's just painful, but it makes the small victories so rewarding. Also left my first neg in years for a seller who just popped my ASM purchase in a soft bubble mailer with no other protection. I just frisbeed the book across the room when I opened it and saw the condition -- later when I went to collect it after I'd calmed down I couldn't tell if the toss had had any effect on the condition, it was that bad.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

I don't even like selling raw comics 'cause I'm so worried they'll get damaged. Is that neurotic enough?  Honestly, newsstand buying on the 'bay is just a total minefield, not just shipping but all around. I bought a "NM" run of books a few weeks ago that had clearly had some liquid spilled on them at some point before they got B&B'd, so technically I can't even toss them in the recycle bin.....but they were issues I needed and a few were decent if you squint when you look at them, so I just decided to suck it up until I can locate upgrades. Even now I just let out a huge sigh of disappointment thinking back on it, it's just painful, but it makes the small victories so rewarding. Also left my first neg in years for a seller who just popped my ASM purchase in a soft bubble mailer with no other protection. I just frisbeed the book across the room when I opened it and saw the condition -- later when I went to collect it after I'd calmed down I couldn't tell if the toss had had any effect on the condition, it was that bad.

Maybe we were separated at birth?! I get so angry when I get a bunch of damaged rare newsstands And it’s caused by bad packaging. These last ones I knew were going to be bad when I was handed the package and you could feel the books sliding every which way. The whole way home from the post office cussing out the seller for being an imbecile. 

4 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Slowly filling holes. 

09138728-24A3-431A-AD54-5D6F79C1C75F.jpeg

Nice. This arc has been on my back-burnered list of priorities to seek out. I kind of have a few "classic" modern Marvel storylines I'd like to complete. I've got all of Lady Bullseye, most of Old Man Logan, and bits n' pieces of Winter Soldier. Planet Hulk has been another from that same time period that I'd like to put together, but I'm so scattered all over right now I haven't really sought it out.

4 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Maybe we were separated at birth?! I get so angry when I get a bunch of damaged rare newsstands And it’s caused by bad packaging. These last ones I knew were going to be bad when I was handed the package and you could feel the books sliding every which way. The whole way home from the post office cussing out the seller for being an imbecile. 

Yep, that gut-punch when you think you're about to wrap your hands around a solid block of comics and it ends up feeling like oatmeal in an envelope.

Looking for info on this one....

On the Spawnworld website they state that 137 is the last newsstand issue however I found 136, 137 & 138 newsstand issues all together.   The 138 has a newsstand sticker at the bottom attached.  The Spawnworld site says there were some issues that did have newsstand stickers.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone seen a 138 newsstand like this before?! 

Thanks for any info from those in the know!

20200425_114517.jpg

20200425_114530.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Looking for info on this one....

On the Spawnworld website they state that 137 is the last newsstand issue however I found 136, 137 & 138 newsstand issues all together.   The 138 has a newsstand sticker at the bottom attached.  The Spawnworld site says there were some issues that did have newsstand stickers.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone seen a 138 newsstand like this before?! 

Thanks for any info from those in the know!

20200425_114517.jpg

20200425_114530.jpg

am I wrong? or does that look like the "sticker" is on the bag and not the comic? but maybe @newshane would know :shy: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

am I wrong? or does that look like the "sticker" is on the bag and not the comic? but maybe @newshane would know :shy: 

Nope...sticker is on the comic....

My knowledge of newsstands is very little but I figured there are several around these parts that would something about this issue....

13 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

My knowledge of newsstands is very little but I figured there are several around these parts that would something about this issue....

Cool, i've only seen that cover in hand a few times myself, lol sorry to respond when I didn't know, but I'd be curious the answer or response as well (thumbsu 

I love the knowledge of the boards :x 

41 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sticker is on the bag. I’ve never seen those issues with a barcode on the cover. @Lobstrosity would be the chief expert here, as I have never been into newsstand issues for a variety of good reasons! lol 

29 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

More pictures please, perhaps with the comic outside of the bag?

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

Sticker is on the bag. I’ve never seen those issues with a barcode on the cover. @Lobstrosity would be the chief expert here, as I have never been into newsstand issues for a variety of good reasons! lol 

You must not have read my previous reply....the sticker is not on the bag.

I am not into newsstand issues either.....thus my questions.....

Edited by Bearcatcoach
Typo