• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

+1

Some absolute fire in that mix. I had a hard enough time tracking down a regular Cap Marvel 14

Amen. The only one of those that I have is the Hulk 1 2008, and I payed up for it. I recall seeing the Dark Wolverine recently with Ms Marvel, but I don't remember if it was a newsie and maybe why I passed on it. Seemingly I have secret places where I'm able to somehow find newsies, but again, it's severely hit and miss. haha

That is some fun! AND I'm glad to see some posts, as it gives me ones to look at or for, even if they're not different in price than direct editions, which are the ones that I mostly look for (thumbsu 

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Amen. The only one of those that I have is the Hulk 1 2008, and I payed up for it. I recall seeing the Dark Wolverine recently with Ms Marvel, but I don't remember if it was a newsie and maybe why I passed on it. Seemingly I have secret places where I'm able to somehow find newsies, but again, it's severely hit and miss. haha

That is some fun! AND I'm glad to see some posts, as it gives me ones to look at or for, even if they're not different in price than direct editions, which are the ones that I mostly look for (thumbsu 

Speaking of which issues have newsstand editions and which do not, does anyone know whether Amazing X-men #1 (Jan 2014) or Mighty Avengers #1 (Nov 2013) came out as newsstands?   (I once read a comment on some board or other where someone claimed they had seen Amazing X-men #1 as a newsstand at Barnes & Noble, but I have never seen a copy).  

I kind of feel like i should keep my newsies segregated in one place (I don't have that many, probably because i live in an area where due to expensive rents, comics probably came off the newsstands pretty early in most places), but the question is what date cut-off/cover price should i start caring? Up until the late 80s it is a bit of a meaningless distinction for many books unless you're talking about slabbed 9.8s. drives me crazy when ads talk about some book from 1980 being a newsstand...chances are that was the more common version!

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

I kind of feel like i should keep my newsies segregated in one place (I don't have that many, probably because i live in an area where due to expensive rents, comics probably came off the newsstands pretty early in most places), but the question is what date cut-off/cover price should i start caring? Up until the late 80s it is a bit of a meaningless distinction for many books unless you're talking about slabbed 9.8s. drives me crazy when ads talk about some book from 1980 being a newsstand...chances are that was the more common version!

My rule of thumb is that it probably *starts* to make a difference (but probably not by much) around the time they started using art other than just the Spidey head in the box, and then probably shifts up a gear when barcodes were added to the Direct box (1993, I believe). 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:12 PM, George Brent said:

Speaking of which issues have newsstand editions and which do not, does anyone know whether Amazing X-men #1 (Jan 2014) or Mighty Avengers #1 (Nov 2013) came out as newsstands?   (I once read a comment on some board or other where someone claimed they had seen Amazing X-men #1 as a newsstand at Barnes & Noble, but I have never seen a copy).  

Mighty Avengers #1 has a newsstand as I own one. Amazing X-Men #1 on the other hand I don’t believe so. 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, the blob said:

I keep my newsstand editions in separate boxes. My cutoff date is 1980. That is too early to make a distinction for rarity. The first reason is that I am trying to recreate the collection I had in 1979 when my mom forced me to sell them. Those are kept separate also. Therefore, anything before 1980 belongs to that group. Second, 1980 is the year when pretty much all the publishers had separate direct/newsstand editions. Prior to that, everything was newsstand. Third, I'm watching as non-rare newsstands are getting higher prices from collectors, like ASM 300, likely because they don't understand rarity doesn't become an issue until 1999. To date, I have eight boxes of newsstands between 1980-2017. Four of those boxes are 1999-2017.