• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,009 posts in this topic

And then I got this one back. These comics have actually bugged me a lot that CGC won't recognize them as variants. Back in the late 90s Marvel had a line of 99cent comics. Two of them were Untold Tales of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four Unplugged. On the newsstand they would combine two of these issues and sell it for $1.95. I submitted and just received back the Untold Tales #5, FF Unplugged #3 issue and there is no mention of the 100% price difference nor that Untold Tales is on the flip side of this book. As far as CGC is concerned, this is just another Fantastic Four Unplugged #3 copy. I guess if I had submitted it with the Spider-Man comic facing out they would have called it just another copy of Untold Tales of Spider-Man. I think they need to recognize these as different (I included the pics of FFUnplugged/UToSpider-Man #1 that I already had that they did the same to).

20210408_124322.jpg

20210408_124332.jpg

20210408_130023.jpg

20210408_130030.jpg

3 minutes ago, bshowell said:

And then I got this one back. These comics have actually bugged me a lot that CGC won't recognize them as variants. Back in the late 90s Marvel had a line of 99cent comics. Two of them were Untold Tales of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four Unplugged. On the newsstand they would combine two of these issues and sell it for $1.95. I submitted and just received back the Untold Tales #5, FF Unplugged #3 issue and there is no mention of the 100% price difference nor that Untold Tales is on the flip side of this book. As far as CGC is concerned, this is just another Fantastic Four Unplugged #3 copy. I guess if I had submitted it with the Spider-Man comic facing out they would have called it just another copy of Untold Tales of Spider-Man. I think they need to recognize these as different (I included the pics of FFUnplugged/UToSpider-Man #1 that I already had that they did the same to).

20210408_124322.jpg

20210408_124332.jpg

20210408_130023.jpg

20210408_130030.jpg

Those are actually Untold Tales of Spider-Man newsstands. They should never have been labeled as Fantastic Four Unplugged. The Flip books later became Avengers Unplugged and Uncanny Origins. 

29 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Those are actually Untold Tales of Spider-Man newsstands. They should never have been labeled as Fantastic Four Unplugged. The Flip books later became Avengers Unplugged and Uncanny Origins. 

The Avengers Unplugged issues were included on the back of the even issues of Untold Tales as both Unplugged books came out every other month. And if what you say is true that just reinforces my feeling that these should be considered different titles from their direct edition counterparts since the interiors and back covers would be very different when comparing a direct edition of Untold to a newsstand edition of Untold. I couldn't find an ungraded copy to snap a pic but if I remember correctly, the publishing info on the inside of the book included both titles as well (ie: it said UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN/FANTASTIC FOUR UNPLUGGED #1 as the books title on the inside).  Just my 2cents!😁

Yeah, the indicia has both titles mentioned on both the front and back. Given that the price is on thé Untold Tales side, and the title is listed first and the issue number corresponds with Untold, that tells me it’s the newsstand version of Untold Tales. I suspect they added the flip book so it would be at a certain price point for retailers. I’ve been chasing these forever!

A42EF5A9-F237-4782-8D46-133F6191C895.jpeg

35D6EBDC-2354-4DFA-A4D0-63F301D18AD5.jpeg

CF05A5D9-8986-44DD-BF1D-7FE62D330054.jpeg

CA8B015F-E419-486A-A744-F65F2B35279F.jpeg

43 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Yeah, the indicia has both titles mentioned on both the front and back. Given that the price is on thé Untold Tales side, and the title is listed first and the issue number corresponds with Untold, that tells me it’s the newsstand version of Untold Tales. I suspect they added the flip book so it would be at a certain price point for retailers. I’ve been chasing these forever!

A42EF5A9-F237-4782-8D46-133F6191C895.jpeg

35D6EBDC-2354-4DFA-A4D0-63F301D18AD5.jpeg

CF05A5D9-8986-44DD-BF1D-7FE62D330054.jpeg

CA8B015F-E419-486A-A744-F65F2B35279F.jpeg

Me too! I've found a few #1s but the rest are a little hard to come by. That #1 9.8 is the only 9.8 candidate I've ever had (I tried to press the #3 but it didn't get it all the way there obviously).

3 hours ago, bshowell said:

These comics have actually bugged me a lot that CGC won't recognize them as variants.

They aren't variants. It's a separate title.

3 hours ago, bshowell said:

I think they need to recognize these as different

Yes, they should.

2 hours ago, bellrules said:

Given that the price is on thé Untold Tales side, and the title is listed first and the issue number corresponds with Untold, that tells me it’s the newsstand version of Untold Tales.

No, it is, as it states, Untold Tales of Spider-Man/Fantastic Four Unplugged #1. It is neither Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1 nor Fantastic Four Unplugged #1.

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

They aren't variants. It's a separate title.

Yes, they should.

No, it is, as it states, Untold Tales of Spider-Man/Fantastic Four Unplugged #1. It is neither Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1 nor Fantastic Four Unplugged #1.

I agree that they should be separate titles, I shouldn't have said variant in my original post as these are different books from their direct counterparts but even a note on the side of the label stating it is a price variant and includes the other book on the flip side would be a step in the right direction. It is still so weird to me that they don't acknowledge that in any way. Both times I put on the submission form that it is a flipbook of both titles and both times it has come back as just Fantastic Four Unplugged. 

Was digging through boxes for issues to send to Tony to C&P and did not realize I had a newsstand of this one...

20210410_221154.jpg

Edited by CHASEnBLUE