• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,003 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:

In your estimation what do you think the percentages were? It was my understanding  the numbers were from Jim Shooter. I’ve never thought they were accurate numbers. I’d imagine if you tripled those numbers it’d be more believable. I just wish we had accurate numbers. 

First, you have to specify whether you're looking at the entire market or an individual title. Still, it's generally difficult to estimate the percentages at any given time for either. Not counting titles that were only available though the direct market, of course (that's easy (:).

Newsstand distribution was in decline since the early 70s until it basically died for comics. That's why the Big Two embraced the direct market. But the direct market has also had its ups and downs, so the percentages could change in unusual ways at times even if the general, slow trend of falling newsstand sales didn't.

I don't estimate things when I don't have enough information to do it properly, but I may point out enough information to counter questionable numbers that are thrown around, like I did here (the discussion lasts through nearly the end of that page).

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Got the books back from CGC today.  Most of them look great.  Not exactly sure how my ASM case got so badly scuffed?  Pretty aggravating waiting all this time and the case looks like they used it to eat dinner on. 

6FC5B20A-72DB-47F0-88DA-6035F6F6689B.jpeg

E64A770A-E86E-42FC-B15E-80302356F95F.jpeg

4E9BCB45-CF8C-4262-B0B1-7B8A0E24B076.jpeg

3791F6DB-5B6F-4768-B51F-BE30EA4B15D1.jpeg

image.jpg

Pics of all of them  :sumo:

#freethepics!lol

Those were some good pickings though ^^

On 5/6/2021 at 6:55 AM, Lazyboy said:

I can see how the wording may lend itself to misunderstanding, but the context shouldn't. Since my whole post was about the general newsstand market and the post to which I was responding wasn't about Marvel, I obviously wasn't talking specifically about Marvel's newsstand sales.

The newsstand percentages from the chart you posted here are 100% pure B.S. Not spot on, not close, not an estimation, not anything that deserves to be repeated.

Newsstands being returnable doesn't change the number sold. That's already accounted for because you're already looking at the number sold rather than printed. There were a lot more printed and they may still be out there (just ask Lifesuggs). This is the same nonsense spouted by everyone's favourite misinformation site. Don't be Ben.

Ehhh I wouldn't ask me cause I don't think you'll get the kind of back up you want. My big score all came from the same place, it wasn't a warehouse find, it was multiple B&N's trash.

Lets be clear, NO ONE knows the numbers.

HOWEVER, some of us probably have put way too much time in to this than they would like to admit. Where B&N was an account of mine when I first found most of mine, I like to look post 2010 cause it is the easiest to really get a grasp on. At the height of B&N and BAM there was a combined 980 stores. They didn't take in all titles and at some point the went SBT(no one seems to remember an exact date, cause well, they don't care) so they weren't responsible for them, didn't always put them out, and trashed them. Regardless, if you assume stores got somewhere between 3 and 5 of a copy (again an assumption but a very researched assumption) it is not entirely unreasonable to look at a print run of 3-5k on a newsstand issue post 2010, and that being the top of the mark. 

With that said, it is like 430 in the morning and I had a couple bourbons while packaging up like 70 books for CGC, so I will read this tomorrow and see if ti made sense.

4 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:

Ehhh I wouldn't ask me cause I don't think you'll get the kind of back up you want. My big score all came from the same place, it wasn't a warehouse find, it was multiple B&N's trash.

HOWEVER, some of us probably have put way too much time in to this than they would like to admit. Where B&N was an account of mine when I first found most of mine, I like to look post 2010 cause it is the easiest to really get a grasp on. At the height of B&N and BAM there was a combined 980 stores. They didn't take in all titles and at some point the went SBT(no one seems to remember an exact date, cause well, they don't care) so they weren't responsible for them, didn't always put them out, and trashed them. Regardless, if you assume stores got somewhere between 3 and 5 of a copy (again an assumption but a very researched assumption) it is not entirely unreasonable to look at a print run of 3-5k on a newsstand issue post 2010, and that being the top of the mark. 

With that said, it is like 430 in the morning and I had a couple bourbons while packaging up like 70 books for CGC, so I will read this tomorrow and see if ti made sense.

LOL 

What "bourbons"?

16 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

LOL 

What "bourbons"?

Like bonbons but more manly.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Man I miss my grandmother's rum soaked chocolate covered cherries.  

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

Where did these all come from? Tough to find newsstand keys in high grade

On 11/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, ThothAmon said:

Currently $99 gpa although something tells me that’s going down. 9 hours up and back to ‘Cuse today. Definitely hauled a larger U-Haul than needed. Here’s a picture of about 70% of the collection.  OO is 54 and didn’t start really collecting until 1984, which is about the year I stopped buying new books  Comics, mags, books, posters and movie posters. Looking through first box these 9/11 Spideys sort of jumped out at me. 

4CB371DC-EC46-4AB3-B46D-DE7FD1AE55C8.jpeg

80D4C284-C016-459B-8BEE-92699AFF9587.jpeg

About 50 percent of these books (7k or so) turned out to be unread newsstands. 

9 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

lol

All I was saying is that some copies that shouldn't still be out there based on how the distribution channel was supposed to work are still out there. Which you know firsthand, regardless of how or when you got them or how many you got.

19 minutes ago, bshowell said:

Some (I think barely) modern newsies.

20210508_180917.jpg

20210508_180923.jpg

I like the X-men #8, I mean it is a key to the Gambit story if there ever is one, worth saying I have a NM raw, but 9.8 slabbed is a sure bet in grade, hope mine grades out :wishluck:

It's actually not a bad looking cover too :headbang: