• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,009 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Killing Joke thread and someone suggested I post this here as well.  I was going through my old comics in my mom’s attic and came across a copy of what looks to be a first printing of Killing Joke. However, it has a UPC sticker attached to the cover of the book.  I don’t remember where I would have bought this 25+ years ago that would have added that. Has anyone seen this before?  Is this a newsstand version by any chance?  Any options to get this graded or am I out of luck unless I somehow can remove a 25+ year old sticker without leaving residue behind?

12B3EF51-604A-431D-9CB8-5A3523B73040.jpeg.a97ac99e470fb8d80de5ea046c79ab66.jpeg

2 hours ago, AlBogz said:

I posted this in the Killing Joke thread and someone suggested I post this here as well.  I was going through my old comics in my mom’s attic and came across a copy of what looks to be a first printing of Killing Joke. However, it has a UPC sticker attached to the cover of the book.  I don’t remember where I would have bought this 25+ years ago that would have added that. Has anyone seen this before?  Is this a newsstand version by any chance?  Any options to get this graded or am I out of luck unless I somehow can remove a 25+ year old sticker without leaving residue behind?

You could remove the sticker but usually these adhesives have some small amount of oil that will eventually soak into the paper and stain the spot with basically a grease spot.

I had a sticker removed from my ASM 20 and while the paper wasn't damaged there was a little grease stain where the sticker was

2 hours ago, AlBogz said:

There have been several threads on sticker upc . I too have this exact book. If I remember correctly the one I got came from a bookstore.  This is the closest to a newsstand the first printing received as they didn't print the barcodes on those editions. I kept mine on and got the green label as to me it was part of the history of the book. Others do not like them or green labels. Joey ( another member who works on books ) has mentioned that he can remove them. It is all in what your personal choices are as well as your intentions are with the book. Still a great book. 

23 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 5/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, AlBogz said:

Expand  

There have been several threads on sticker upc . I too have this exact book. If I remember correctly the one I got came from a bookstore.  This is the closest to a newsstand the first printing received as they didn't print the barcodes on those editions. I kept mine on and got the green label as to me it was part of the history of the book. Others do not like them or green labels. Joey ( another member who works on books ) has mentioned that he can remove them. It is all in what your personal choices are as well as your intentions are with the book. Still a great book. 

Don't take the sticker off the Killing Joke.

From what I can see, the code is from "Warner Publisher Services" so it's possible that it's officially from D.C. and not just added later by a bookstore/distributor.

The UPC starts with "070989" which is the manufacturer section.

https://www.upcindex.net/070989327832  - This "unrelated book" is from the same manufacturer:  "Warner Publisher Services".

24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

From what I can see, the code is from "Warner Publisher Services" so it's possible that it's officially from D.C. and not just added later by a bookstore/distributor.

https://www.upcindex.net/070989327832  - This "unrelated book" is from the same manufacturer:  "Warner Publisher Services".

That is awesome.  Still unable to search for this one. 20210513_115218.thumb.jpg.1376d82f57e83c52fd1f717ed516d9ce.jpg

But I too would agree. I have always enjoyed the history behind some of these stickered versions.  Here is my stickered Killing Joke. 

20210513_115109.thumb.jpg.30243e411975185b19a44049a4f8fbc9.jpg

Also the above information would interest @Cpt Kirk

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Thank you very much!  I'm keeping the sticker on and will send it in to get graded and see how it does.  

12 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is awesome.  Still unable to search for this one. 20210513_115218.thumb.jpg.1376d82f57e83c52fd1f717ed516d9ce.jpg

Possibly a distributor sticker?  Here are a few other publications with the 70992 manufacturer code: https://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/70992002504

(I think you can ignore the car parts that also have that code.) :grin:

Entertainment Weekly uses 70992 most recently, in the 1980s it was associated with paperback books.(Donkey Kong, Felix the Cat) 

Pinnacle Books - it looks like Pinnacle belongs to Kensington Publishing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Books

Edited by valiantman

46 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Possibly a distributor sticker?  Here are a few other publications with the 70992 manufacturer code: https://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/70992002504

(I think you can ignore the car parts that also have that code.) :grin:

Entertainment Weekly uses 70992 most recently, in the 1980s it was associated with paperback books.(Donkey Kong, Felix the Cat) 

Pinnacle Books - it looks like Pinnacle belongs to Kensington Publishing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Books

I have several of these stickered comics ( not that specific one as it was the first time I had seen a  first print) and know I bought a lot of mine from a few places when they came out although not sure exactly which ones came from which store, but seeing that many books makes me believe these were some from the book stores I frequently picked up some issues from.  I did routinely buy from BAM and Waldenbooks.  Not too long ago I found several from one guy who said he got them from a BAM he used to work at those were the MOS 18 3rd print stickered. 

20201106_225621.thumb.jpg.f4aa304a45750a34179d934649c5ee5f.jpg

I have always been on the look out for any I come across and always keep the stickers on them as to me that was part of their history.  I will not completely flood them all here but here I are just some. 

20201106_225537.thumb.jpg.bae51054372e6434e02246a7907cbaab.jpg20201106_225319.thumb.jpg.2e37b9aaf27035b8c66cf1e215f00b10.jpg20200603_025617.thumb.jpg.2c7b32167c78f68c8c8edabef7189fae.jpg20200603_025651.thumb.jpg.7183771076f50cc9b42be2142d0b6939.jpg20210416_163740.thumb.jpg.48556d000889b4948d9bae5604dec0bd.jpg

Thank you for the information as this helps to lead more towards the actual story behind these. 

8 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I have several of these stickered comics ( not that specific one as it was the first time I had seen a  first print) and know I bought a lot of mine from a few places when they came out although not sure exactly which ones came from which store, but seeing that many books makes me believe these were some from the book stores I frequently picked up some issues from.  I did routinely buy from BAM and Waldenbooks.  Not too long ago I found several from one guy who said he got them from a BAM he used to work at those were the MOS 18 3rd print stickered. 

I have always been on the look out for any I come across and always keep the stickers on them as to me that was part of their history.  I will not completely flood them all here but here I are just some.

Thank you for the information as this helps to lead more towards the actual story behind these. 

I think (from what we know right now), it's fair to say the 70992 stickers are a general Kensington Publishing sticker for some type of chain store newsstand (BAM, Waldenbooks, similar) associated with Kensington's distributors.

The 70989 stickers seem to be from Time Warner - so maybe they're a little "closer" to D.C. (since it was owned by Time Warner), but it's possible that the stickers are "identical" as far as how they were used.  If the stores didn't (yet) use barcodes at checkout, it's possible the stickers were really used during the return-for-credit system.

You probably know this, but barcodes which are identical don't identify any item specifically - they're usually just a "generic item from manufacturer X that costs Y" (when you look it up in the store pricing) indicator for stores that don't need more detailed and specific inventory/sales records.  I get frustrated when I need to buy 10 of something in a store and they won't use the quantity button on the cash register and put 10 then just scan one of them.  They're all identical.  There's no difference in any of the barcodes, but they drag every package across the scanner like each one is a beautiful and unique snowflake. :grin:

Having the same sticker on everything that's priced the same would be a perfect description of the newsstand, since they didn't order specifically by titles and issue numbers.  They received "whatever-they-are books/magazines to sell for a while" - so they just needed to get them sold at the right price (or returned) and keep going.

22 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

But I too would agree. I have always enjoyed the history behind some of these stickered versions.  Here is my stickered Killing Joke. 

20210513_115109.thumb.jpg.30243e411975185b19a44049a4f8fbc9.jpg

Also the above information would interest @Cpt Kirk

Thanks, and great thread.  Modern newsies?   I've found every single one in the titles of Batman, Detective, Superman/Adv of Superman, and Action Comics.   If anyone wants to see a particular issue, just let me know.