• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,009 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's the 1st appearance of "a" Phoenix I think...

there is a Campbell variant that went for a couple hundred, I have the regular one posted as Newsstand, I have it in non Newsstand cgc 9.6...

I'm not sure if the Newsstand version would be different in price enough to get the price variant label

I'd take one though depending upon price :)

Because of the $1.00 price difference it would definitely get the "Newsstand Edition" CGC label. 

8 minutes ago, mr_highgrade said:

Because of the $1.00 price difference it would definitely get the "Newsstand Edition" CGC label. 

That's what I thought as well, which makes it a great pick-up! I feel that sometimes CGC hasn't ever labeled correctly nor had one submitted before, which makes submitting and getting a correctly labeled one harder, not impossible.... just harder :shy: 

I've got several of these types of issues, where I've looked at submitting, and in the drop down variant menu on the submission form, there was no "2.99 or 3.99 variant" choice. Making it doubtful to send in the books to see if the label would be correct....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

@Corona smith Have you received those books yet? I bought quite a lot from the same seller over the last week. Shipping on the first batch was.... not ideal.

Which ones? I hope not the most recent ones because they’re very pretty and I’d hate to receive damaged books. 

3 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Which ones? I hope not the most recent ones because they’re very pretty and I’d hate to receive damaged books. 

I got a few more in the mail today from the first wave of purchases... these came in smaller manila envelopes that were tighter inside, so they had less room to move around. The first order I received had four books with plenty of room to move to and fro, so when the package took a hit in one corner all but one book suffered good-size dents. The one that didn't was the Legion of Monsters 1 which I paid a good bit on, so that's good news, but I also got the X-Men 544 and that one did get hit (so much for that upgrade). The next wave to ship will have some ASM's and a UXF that I went after aggressively, so I'd hate to see those suffer the same fate as these are the first copies of those particular issues that I've been able to find after nearly a year of looking. I've been really fortunate filling in my ASM run this week, though.... picked up probably 15 or so books from various listings that filled in many of my gaps in the 600's. 

BTW, that was me you outbid on that Cap 618, I have several in the 600-619 range and wanted this one to add to it, but I backed off after my first delivery showed up with the dents, so I'll accept that as a little payback from the 'Tec 854 we were both after. Also, the 'Tec 880 that same seller had went for a very strong price for a raw copy.

Nice work, Corona! I've been building a UXM run when I can find them, but the New X-Men I've only got 1 issue (a super-sharp 115). This Morrison run is one I need to start being more aggressive on, just got too many pots going at once on the newsstand stove. I really regret passing on 128 and 129 newsstand 9.8's when they were selling for the same as direct copies, but they're not impossibly hard to find, so I'll have to get these books back on my radar.

22 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Nice work, Corona! I've been building a UXM run when I can find them, but the New X-Men I've only got 1 issue (a super-sharp 115). This Morrison run is one I need to start being more aggressive on, just got too many pots going at once on the newsstand stove. I really regret passing on 128 and 129 newsstand 9.8's when they were selling for the same as direct copies, but they're not impossibly hard to find, so I'll have to get these books back on my radar.

Thanks!! There’s several books in that run that have minor first appearances but I feel there’s room for growth. I’ve lost count of many I own but it’s gotta be close to a dozen each of some of them. New X-Men 133 in newsstand has eluded me so far. I’ve only seen one and it was a beat up copy.

Yeah X-Men is one of my series I always pick up. I used to have a complete run of the first series. Excluding 1-5, the reprints & 266 I had them all. I’m not a Gambit fan and refused to pay high prices for it. Not newsstands though as I wasn’t into them at that point. I’m slowly filling it back out though. 

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

Thanks!! There’s several books in that run that have minor first appearances but I feel there’s room for growth. I’ve lost count of many I own but it’s gotta be close to a dozen each of some of them. New X-Men 133 in newsstand has eluded me so far. I’ve only seen one and it was a beat up copy.

Yeah X-Men is one of my series I always pick up. I used to have a complete run of the first series. Excluding 1-5, the reprints & 266 I had them all. I’m not a Gambit fan and refused to pay high prices for it. Not newsstands though as I wasn’t into them at that point. I’m slowly filling it back out though. 

Ha, I know what you mean about the price on UXM 266. I used my 'bay bucks to cover the cost of an ASM 361 newsstand 9.6 'cause I was so irritated at how much that book had blown up and refused to pay actual cash for it.