• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather have 50k in cash or 100k to spend on OA
1 1

76 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If I could select/buy the $100K of art, I'd choose the art.  Otherwise, I'd take the cash. 

Yes, rule would be a $100,000 to be used on original comic art only. Buy what is available today. You have 5 days to spend it Brewster’s Millions style. Don’t get to save what is unused. 

In case anyone asks, the $50,000 is cash and is tax free in the form of $20’s. 

There is some art you take to the grave,  am I right?  I'll take the $100k... go on an quasi-epic shopping spree (it's only 100k after all) ... then book an appearance on the Felix podcast... talk about the entire experience,  option the story to Hollywood,  with stipulation Keanu Reeves plays the part of me. Use that Hollywood money to buy more art, now we got a sequel and a franchise on our hands 

29 minutes ago, vodou said:

My net worth is not high, I'd still take the art (of my choosing, as OP originally framed it). After food...everything else is so optional against art ;)

I thought you were planning to sell some stuff slowly in retirement?    If so why take the art?

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

My net worth is not high, I'd still take the art (of my choosing, as OP originally framed it). After food...everything else is so optional against art ;)

Okay.   I’d take the cash, buy 1m in art and have 4 left over.   I bet 98+% of people would do some variation of that.   

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

$50k buys a lot of hookers and liquor hm

Oh who am I kidding, I'd take the art, maybe a nice Peanuts Sunday

You could get something from hookers that you can't get rid of    :fear:  

I would take the cash because I have learned from wise people here that due to bad demographic trends, Japan, inevitable drying up of the tidal wave of liquidity that has been washing over us the past 10 years, Japan, lack of super-wealthy collectors, lack of celebrity collectors, lack of foreign collectors, lack of super-wealthy foreign collectors, lack of super-wealthy foreign celebrity collectors, an impending economic downturn that will have us yearning for the nirvana that was called The Great Depression, and Japan, buying $100k of comic original art would be the equivalent of burning up 99,000 $1 dollar bills.

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I thought you were planning to sell some stuff slowly in retirement?    If so why take the art?

Of course. I do already have plenty of art. Sell some less loved I already have, get even more of what I want to have - win:win :)

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I’d take the cash, buy 1m in art and have 4 left over.   I bet 98+% of people would do some variation of that.   

Not me. It's just money (a vehicle to getting there not an end unto itself!)

I can very honestly say that over the 25+ years I've been doing art, whenever I came into more money than I needed to cover essentials (food/water/shelter) - it went to art. Month in and month out. Occasionally I'd get some unusual windfall or other and thus the ability to move up a tier or two in price paid and get something much nicer, etc - but the money doesn't sit around. Ever. That's the same reason I stopped selling a long time ago and haven't started up again...I haven't need the income (for essentials) thus I knew whatever "extra" would just go back into art anyway. If there wasn't clearly something better on offer (that I couldn't already afford outright) than what I already own...why sell?!! The money, sitting there, is lame. (To me!)

Eventually, I'll probably need to take some income (I assume, maybe not?) and expect to sell for that reason but only because that's how it tends to work (for everybody with assets in retirement). Or, I do still pay attention to the market and if it does take the wide turn from bull to bear, no interest in hanging onto at least half the collection if it's reasonable that it will lose 50% in a short period (5 years or less). Mostly because it would be depressing to watch. But if one doesn't need the proceeds...? Is the difference between 100% and 50% material? (No.)

Anyway...lacking other major hobby interests at present and assuming lack of income need...I have no idea what I'd do with the proceeds. No idea. So, no rush to act either now or ever if my situation doesn't change radically (re: The Four Dees.)

The closest version of your quote above that would apply to me would be: buy 4.95m in art and have 50k left over. I guess I could figure out something non-art to do with it...I guess. But not really (totally debt free and happy overall with life already...can you really buy "more" happy? I dunno and am not especially tempted to "try".)

Edited by vodou
clarity

At first I was going to take the 50 K because that’s the price I was quoted on a piece I’ve always wanted from a dealer.

But now I need the 100 K (for art I can never sell) because I sent  a confirmation email to the dealer and after checking with his brother, the price went up from 50 K to 100 K.

Something about labor costs for new cover stat added.

🍇 🦍