• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather have 50k in cash or 100k to spend on OA
1 1

76 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

A "What is your profession?" poll one day might unearth attorneys... everywhere.....

In a nerdy hobby like comics and comic OA, it's safe to say that lawyers are over-represented.

Off the top of my head, I can name at least 10 boardies who are lawyers or have a legal background, and probably more if I put my mind to it. 

Scary. :eek: 

16 hours ago, Timely said:

Would you rather have a $1,000,000 Ferrari in your garage taking up space that you can never drive:facepalm: or a $50,000 Corvette that you can do anything you want with?:banana:

I would take the Ferrari.  And then I would put a bumper sticker on my regular ride that says "My Other Car Is a Ferrari F40". :banana: 

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I would take the Ferrari.  And then I would put a bumper sticker on my regular ride that says "My Other Car Is a Ferrari F40". :banana: 

Can you even really drive something like that around manhattan in any meaningful way?   You have what an Aston right?   Do you get to take it out enough to make it worthwhile?   Above 30 mph?

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Can you even really drive something like that around manhattan in any meaningful way?

Not with potholes ;)

F40 is street legal but it's really a track car (unless you just like blasting in straight lines on the highway - not where Ferrari's really excel though, it's all about the corners!)

I'm sure Gene has been to Lime Rock and Watkin's Glen for club events or open driving days. And if he hasn't...uh, why not?!

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Can you even really drive something like that around manhattan in any meaningful way?   You have what an Aston right?   Do you get to take it out enough to make it worthwhile?   Above 30 mph?

Around Manhattan, no.  I no longer keep a car in the city (as of 2 years ago) as it wasn't worth it any longer for me.  But, people who buy supercars typically have other properties in areas that are more conducive to their display/use (e.g., SoCal, Miami, Hamptons or at least the NYC 'burbs, etc.) 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I'm sure Gene has been to Lime Rock and Watkin's Glen for club events or open driving days. And if he hasn't...uh, why not?!

Lime Rock, Pocono, NJMP, Monticello Motor Club, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, AMG Winter Driving School in Sweden, etc. :headbang: 

Edited by delekkerste

Thanks Gene.    Yeah that seems like a lot of trouble for something that you can't enjoy very often, but I guess its like comics, if you're into it, you're into it .

Edited by Bronty

32 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Lime Rock, Pocono, NJMP. :headbang:

In what - AM?

I've done 70s Ferraris and old school Porsche 356 and early 911.

Passenger with pro driver in F40 at Watkin's early 90s, when it was The Car of the Moment...that was something!

I do miss those days, but not the expense/upkeep of the cars (especially re: safety for track upkeep).

7 minutes ago, vodou said:

In what - AM?

I've done 70s Ferraris and old school Porsche 356 and early 911.

Passenger with pro driver in F40 at Watkin's early 90s, when it was The Car of the Moment...that was something!

I do miss those days, but not the expense/upkeep of the cars (especially re: safety for track upkeep).

In AM V8 Vantage (Pocono, NJMP), Jag F type (Monticello - forgot about that one), Mercedes SLS (Lime Rock) and probably a dozen other sports/supercars and formula cars over the years.

Anyway, if I never got another piece of OA, I'd be OK with that; I've already acquired more of my favorite art than I ever thought would be possible.  There's still more I'd like to do on the car side before I kick the bucket, though (one of several reasons why I stopped committing new money to my OA collection after 2015; since then all of my buys have been funded by sales).  But, as you noted, the cost is steep, especially since I'd need to invest in a house w/garage in a good driving location first. :cry:  

Cool discussion.  

Personally, I’d take the $100k in art, enjoy it for decades and then literally give it away (anonymously) so the art returns to our hobby   How sad to think about any key/valuable OA disappearing forever!

Dollar-for-dollar, I’d probably rank art > supercar based on “bang for the buck” but if OA prices climb much further, I might be looking to trade Adams for an Aston, Byrnes for a Bentley or Millers for a Maserati.  :cool: