• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ideas on the artist of these comic-style movie poster concept pieces?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I've owned these two pieces for a couple of years now. They are both from late 60's MGM films (Double Trouble for the b&w piece, Extraordinary Seaman for the color), but neither the illustrations themselves or the concepts were used. There were some fairly prominent comic artists doing movie poster work around this time (Frazetta and Jack Davis come to mind), so I'm curious if anyone recognizes or can attribute these to a particular artist. 

31872330_4.jpg?v=8D64C44D46BDE30

The-Extraordinary-Seaman.jpg

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Is the second one Ronald Searle?

Searle was a British artist (can't see him working for America's MGM) and, besides, the artwork doesn't resemble any work of Searle's that I'm familiar with.

3 hours ago, KingofGames said:

I don't think it's Searle, either, but he did do the art for Invasion Quartet. That was a 1961 MGM release.

17565161549.jpg

3 hours ago, KingofGames said:

I don't think it's Searle, either, but he did do the art for Invasion Quartet. That was a 1961 MGM release.

17565161549.jpg

INAVASION QUARTET is a British movie distributed by MGM.  EXTRAORDINARY SEAMAN is an American movie.  Point I was trying to make was that I don't see Searle working directly for MGM USA when the studio would have access to local talent proficient at producing the Movie Poster advertising campaign..

Edited by The Voord

51 minutes ago, The Voord said:

INAVASION QUARTET is a British movie distributed by MGM.  EXTRAORDINARY SEAMAN is an American movie.  Point I was trying to make was that I don't see Searle working directly for MGM USA when the studio would have access to local talent proficient at producing the Movie Poster advertising campaign..

Your logic is sound, no doubt. I have seen crossovers before though, so it's not necessarily a given that the origin of the art will correspond with the origin of the film. Either way, safe to surmise this isn't by Searle. 

Edited by KingofGames

23 minutes ago, KingofGames said:

Your logic is sound, no doubt. I have seen crossovers before though, so it's not necessarily a given that the origin of the art will correspond with the origin of the film. Either way, safe to surmise this isn't by Searle. 

There are crossovers, yes, especially where the ad campaign (from the country of origin of the movie) was good enough to be adapted for overseas distribution.  In such cases, did the original paintings get posted country-to-country . . . or did they send high-quality copies of the art?  My experience is the latter.  So as you're an American, owning artwork connected to an American-produced movie, that you probably bought in America, I think the odds are it's by an American artist. Plus the fact that what you've got appears to be a proposed design.  I don't see the American movie houses looking overseas for such ideas (as per my original point).  2c

Edited by The Voord

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

I think I saw an Extraordinary Seamen reboot.  I am not taking further questions at this time. 

They filmed that one in Chattsworth 

:facepalm:

Is it legal to palm face my own response to your  comment? 

Searle was a known artist and if the distributor knew of him, and liked his work, and felt he was the appropriate artists for the film since he did similar work, and the art director had the budget and feedom to hire who he pleased, there’d have been no problem asking for sketches from someone overseas.  A known artist would not have been a risk 

there are similarities to the line work to Searle.  Though the est looks too pedestrian and very different, especially the war scene. 

Edited by Aman619

20 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Searle was a known artist and if the distributor knew of him, and liked his work, and felt he was the appropriate artists for the film since he did similar work, and the art director had the budget and feedom to hire who he pleased, there’d have been no problem asking for sketches from someone overseas.  A known artist would not have been a risk 

there are similarities to the line work to Searle.  Though the est looks too pedestrian and very different, especially the war scene. 

Sorry, although I get what you're saying, I think it's a bit of a stretch.  If you have home-grown talent more than capable of producing the type of work you're looking for - why bother looking overseas in the days were the internet never existed and, at best, you'd be looking at (quickest) telephone calls to communicate (factoring the time-differences of something like 8 hours) and weeks of waiting for artwork designs to be shipped over to the USA from the UK to be looked at?  You're just not going to expedite the movie advertising campaign very quickly.  To the best of my knowledge, the major studios had their own stable of artists to feed work to.  As to Searle's art, I just don't see any similarities in style to the drawings the OP posted. 2c