• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal 160M Jumbo Press

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

Wondering if any members have some experience with the Seal 160M Jumbo Press? 

I purchased a used one on ebay for an okay price. Temperature works well and even my first press test on a beater was fairly successful.

My question is about the foam bottom portion.There is this piece of plywood with the remains of the original sponge foam stuck to it. I'm going to replace the foam asap, but is there

a bottom piece that is missing?

My guess is that the original owner didn't want to replace the foam so they just stuck the plywood in to make up for the gap.

Also if there is any cleaning I should do on the surface that you recommend would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks

-Ray

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpeg

IMG_7006.jpeg

IMG_7007.jpeg

I would replace the pad and toss the plywood.  I have three 160's and all three have a Seal brand shim so you can probably replace that as well.  You definitely need to clean the platen...  The link below has spare parts for most seal models.  

http://www.omegabrandess.com/products/Parts/SE130107KIT

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I have three 160's and all three have a Seal brand shim so you can probably replace that as well.  You definitely need to clean the platen... 

Would you recommend cleaning the platen with butane (lighter fluid) to remove any adhesive goop?

27 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Would you recommend cleaning the platen with butane (lighter fluid) to remove any adhesive goop?

I've used Goo Gone with great success.  Its a citrus based cleaner and does very well at removing adhesives.  I've also used mineral spirits which worked well.  Whatever you end up using make sure to put a towel down directly underneath the platen and rinse the platen off until your arm no longer works.  You don't want any part of the press to even have a slight odor.