• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books so nice you bought them twice!
5 5

93 posts in this topic

This is a thing I don't understand and a reason I hate being called a collector. What does anyone need more than one copy of a comic for? Especially five or ten or twenty? This is some hoarding just for the sake of it thing or some weird, greedy competition thing more than anything else seems to me.

12 minutes ago, catman76 said:

This is a thing I don't understand and a reason I hate being called a collector. What does anyone need more than one copy of a comic for? Especially five or ten or twenty? This is some hoarding just for the sake of it thing or some weird, greedy competition thing more than anything else seems to me.

In about 95% of the cases, I agree with you.  The Four Color 402 I posted is very much the exception for me.  There, it's fairly simple:  the "Sniffles chewed" copy has developed sentimental value, the middle one is my actual reading copy, and the high grade one is a rare case of me wanting a high grade showpiece book.  If somebody actually asked me about it, I would probably let the middle copy go and use the chewed copy as my reading copy, but I'm not likely to go look for a buyer.  Besides, having all three is a neat history of my hunt for the book.

I assume others have similar reasons on some books, and a lot of people here are at least occasion dealers as well, so holding multiples for speculative purposes can easily overlap with liking a book on its own merits.

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

Don't know about Catman76, but Catman America upgrades! Of course, there was that one time... :x

3149ef53-3cc8-466c-834c-f4a9f86c96b3_zps

I ended up keeping just one of these copies, but in retrospect kinda wish I'd kept both.  hm

Edited by Cat-Man_America

2 hours ago, catman76 said:

This is anathema to me. I love comics. More is better.