• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK Variants - why the large value disparity
1 1

30 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, herc2000 said:

pence makes cents ;-)

The thing is, the pence editions are still American Comics, just a price variation, made on the same press, only the front cover has the slight changes, rest of the comic is identical.

Quite right. A few variant indicias out there too. And inserts. Or lack of. 

37 minutes ago, herc2000 said:

pence makes cents ;-)

The thing is, the pence editions are still American Comics, just a price variation, made on the same press, only the front cover has the slight changes, rest of the comic is identical.

That's true, but the moment that weird money symbol got printed and the books left the country, they renounced their citizenship and 'Muricans don't take kindly to that sorta thing.

Image result for murica

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

That's true, but the moment that weird money symbol got printed and the books left the country, they renounced their citizenship and 'Muricans don't take kindly to that sorta thing.

Image result for murica

rock flag eagle.jpg

5 hours ago, androolx said:

Is this SS 4 with the UK price on the Surfer's board considered a pence variant or a US book with a stamp on it?  How does the value of such books compare to the same books without the stamps?  Thank you

SS 4 600.jpg

It's not a variant, because the stamp was added several weeks, or even months after printing. The whole point about the pence variants being variants is that they are part of the initial print run of the books.

Here's one from my collection:1015065067_silversurfer11.jpg.1be8a2415b1c843b813aa22dda21698b.jpg

Value wise, I think they mostly consider it a distribution stamp, similar to date stamps on some US distributed comics. Some folks seek them out, but I doubt they'd pay a premium for them.

After completing my X-Men run, I started working on other runs, and ended up with a couple of Miller DD pence copies.  Eventually I turned towards collecting Marvel pence copies to complete my runs.  As an American living in America, I actually find pence copies sexy.  I've been taking advantage of the price difference between cents and pence in order to acquire the issues I'm looking for.  

1 hour ago, mec3437 said:

I actually find pence copies sexy. 

It depends on what your into, but the dry wit and underlying uppitiness can sometimes be trying.