Ross Andru artwork Brave & Bold #25 prices
0

23 posts in this topic

560 posts

Hi All,

Ive been offered a Ross Andru page from Brave & Bold #25 but having looked on many sites i cannot find any sales to get some idea of what these pages are worth before beginning negotiations on a price. does anybody have any info or links for any sales of these pages please. (thumbsu 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts

I’ve tried to find sales info but none. It’s the first suicide squad. Depends on the page. Andrus Spider-Man run commands approximately 3 k up but that’s not a reliable comp for what you are looking at here.

Do you have an image of the page? 
I hope you can get the page.

🍇 🦍

Edited by grapeape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
560 posts

Yes you are right it is the first suicide squad but nothing like the team we see today. The person who owns it is an elderly gentleman who has had it for years but does not know how to take a pic and load up to a pc for me to have a look. l have bought from him before about 3 years ago so he is legit. I asked him to describe the page to me and he said 'its a page containing all 4 members and a pilot called Rick who is fighting to keep control of the plane.' So its not exactly an exciting page but like you i have not found any sales of B&B #25 pages anywhere so dont even have a ballpark figure. Does anybody else have any ideas.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
8 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Yes you are right it is the first suicide squad but nothing like the team we see today. The person who owns it is an elderly gentleman who has had it for years but does not know how to take a pic and load up to a pc for me to have a look. l have bought from him before about 3 years ago so he is legit. I asked him to describe the page to me and he said 'its a page containing all 4 members and a pilot called Rick who is fighting to keep control of the plane.' So its not exactly an exciting page but like you i have not found any sales of B&B #25 pages anywhere so dont even have a ballpark figure. Does anybody else have any ideas.     

I would make him an offer $1500- 2 K. 

pages from books that introduce new teams, characters etc. usually have value to collectors. You might have found a needle in a hay stack.This comic is 1959 and so to the art. Andru and Esposito had a long history working together.I can't find anything, not one other page from this book with data. Low grade comic of this comic selling for just under $2000. I know comics and art are different animals but there is a collectors market for that comic--I think it's worth a chance to grab it and then test the market see if you have a steal. I bet just hearing FIRST SUICIDE SQUAD would draw interest.

Just my opinion, trying to make a rational argument in a sometimes irrational hobby.

The page you described, I feel very strongly if in the hands of some of these comic dealers they would put a good sized sticker price on it. Good luck.

Edited by grapeape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,577 posts
On 10/17/2019 at 8:56 AM, Justin Case said:

Hi All,

Ive been offered a Ross Andru page from Brave & Bold #25 but having looked on many sites i cannot find any sales to get some idea of what these pages are worth before beginning negotiations on a price. does anybody have any info or links for any sales of these pages please. (thumbsu 

Finding comps is going to be tricky. Skip the artists... I think you should look at other non-hero characters from early Brave and Bold and also Showcase: Viking Price, Shining Knight, etc.

Also try to find out if the page is large art by asking for the dimensions, if it is a half-page (with a blank space for the ad on bottom), if it has any logos or splash lettering, and if there is any staining or tearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
11 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Finding comps is going to be tricky. Skip the artists... I think you should look at other non-hero characters from early Brave and Bold and also Showcase: Viking Price, Shining Knight, etc.

Also try to find out if the page is large art by asking for the dimensions, if it is a half-page (with a blank space for the ad on bottom), if it has any logos or splash lettering, and if there is any staining or tearing.

Good advice. I wish he could see the art. I think he found a great page but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

Looking at the issue on DC Universe, the only interesting pages are the ones with monster on it, which I'm sure he would have mentioned. There is a half page in the issue too, so watch out you're not paying double!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
2 hours ago, Lorne.T said:

Looking at the issue on DC Universe, the only interesting pages are the ones with monster on it, which I'm sure he would have mentioned. There is a half page in the issue too, so watch out you're not paying double!

Do you see the page with all four members and a pilot fighting to control the plane?

thats the page we are talking about

if you can scan the comic page that would help us all see what Justin Case is potentially buying!’n

 

🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
560 posts

Thanks Jay. The term ' a pilot called Rick who is fighting to keep control of the plane' certainly fits the bill so most likely this is the page in question.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,949 posts
15 hours ago, grapeape said:

Good advice. I wish he could see the art. I think he found a great page but....

I think this is the page, based upon the OP’s description. 

3663A9BA-2E99-4F01-A3F9-822C62E079E4.thumb.jpeg.4ed60548b35c42cac1a40cccd666b847.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
560 posts

ive emailed him to ask more questions but he is very slow in responding so it might take a while. Lets for arguments sake say this IS the page in question what do OA collectors think the value of this page would be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
15 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Might be this one 

AB7BFE30-2043-482B-AC3E-B60345172AE0.jpeg

Great job Jay. I would pay $1500 for that. I bet there is a collector out there that is looking for pages from the book. Probably ask $3500 cash and Or more with good trade.

I would list it in my CAF Taking Offers First Suicide Squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
6 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I think this is the page, based upon the OP’s description. 

3663A9BA-2E99-4F01-A3F9-822C62E079E4.thumb.jpeg.4ed60548b35c42cac1a40cccd666b847.jpeg

That’s amazing/ I love this board and how we try to solve mysteries and help one another.

Two thumbs up 👍 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,949 posts
18 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Great job Jay. I would pay $1500 for that. I bet there is a collector out there that is looking for pages from the book. Probably ask $3500 cash and Or more with good trade.

I would list it in my CAF Taking Offers First Suicide Squad. 

I'd be a little wary of this page for a few reasons. 1. This is not the modern version of the Suicide Squad. 2. It's early Silver Age twice up art, BUT...non-superhero stuff. Even though this comic is the "1st appearance" of the SS, it's not REALLY the 1st App of the SS that most current fans know. It's just the name. I'd price this as comparable to 1950's non EC War or Adventure twice up art, but with about a 50% premium for the Suicide Squad aspect of it. And I do not expect this to hold its value over time. That said, it's a fun page. But, it's really a niche page. Only two types of collectors will want this: People who like Silver Age War or Adventure (non superhero art); and speculators who want the page strictly because it's from B&B 25 the "First Appearance" of the Suicide Squad. I don't think that's a huge pool of collectors.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365 posts

Aside from the genre and first apperance factors, art-wise, I would value it based on the 3rd panel.  Lots of great detail.  The nice hatching/crosshatching is obscured by the green.

The 2nd and 4th panels are nice to look at.

But if Roy Lichtenstein swiped the "bombs away" panel, you're golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,531 posts
38 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Aside from the genre and first apperance factors, art-wise, I would value it based on the 3rd panel.  Lots of great detail.  The nice hatching/crosshatching is obscured by the green.

The 2nd and 4th panels are nice to look at.

But if Roy Lichtenstein swiped the "bombs away" panel, you're golden.

More likely he would have transformatively appropriated (heh) panel two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
1 hour ago, Will_K said:

Aside from the genre and first apperance factors, art-wise, I would value it based on the 3rd panel.  Lots of great detail.  The nice hatching/crosshatching is obscured by the green.

The 2nd and 4th panels are nice to look at.

But if Roy Lichtenstein swiped the "bombs away" panel, you're golden.

I would play that angle up ha ha 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
852 posts
1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'd be a little wary of this page for a few reasons. 1. This is not the modern version of the Suicide Squad. 2. It's early Silver Age twice up art, BUT...non-superhero stuff. Even though this comic is the "1st appearance" of the SS, it's not REALLY the 1st App of the SS that most current fans know. It's just the name. I'd price this as comparable to 1950's non EC War or Adventure twice up art, but with about a 50% premium for the Suicide Squad aspect of it. And I do not expect this to hold its value over time. That said, it's a fun page. But, it's really a niche page. Only two types of collectors will want this: People who like Silver Age War or Adventure (non superhero art); and speculators who want the page strictly because it's from B&B 25 the "First Appearance" of the Suicide Squad. I don't think that's a huge pool of collectors.

It just takes two in an auction

Or one response to make an offer 

No down side if you don’t over pay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532 posts

Original Art is a completely different animal than comics, because there is only ONE page in existence.  You might find a comparable page, even from the same book, but there is only one of that one page.   So what's the value?  Whatever I'm willing to sell it for and whatever you're willing to pay for it.

I own a Bob Brown Batman page from Detective 388- first comic book I remember, Batman and Robin fighting the Joker on the moon-- similar Brown pages go for $3-$500-- I would entertain offers of $15k.   That becomes the price of that page.   Insane price?  Yup.   But the price on THAT page nonetheless.

I remember a few years ago when guys were trying to put together a price guide.   It's impossible.  The page price is set by the owner.   If you think they are crazy for asking that price too bad, that's the price.

The only rule for buying original art is offer what you are comfortable paying.  If the seller likes the price you have a deal.

Edited by AndyFish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0