• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 5 comic book covers will be used by distant future historians?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and Amazing Fantasy #15 probably should be undisputed.

I can't argue against Wonder Woman's 1st Cover or Captain America #1.

Great choices at a glance, yes, but more than half the comics sold weren't superhero. No funny animal, teen humor, western, or crime books?? Where's Donald Duck? Where's Archie? When you consider all genres, the question gets much tougher.  :preach:

6 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Great choices at a glance, yes, but more than half the comics sold weren't superhero. No funny animal, teen humor, western, or crime books?? Where's Donald Duck? Where's Archie? When you consider all genres, the question gets much tougher.  :preach:

I still think that the 'Big 3' make every list regardless of genre.

59 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and Amazing Fantasy #15 probably should be undisputed.

I can't argue against Wonder Woman's 1st Cover or Captain America #1

You are right about that, that Knightsofold's selections represent an accurate representation for way into the future generations!

Like mentioned, the top three (Action 1, Tec 27 and AF15) are no brainers.

A case can be made for Marvel 1 to be included, not only for significance of the book and characters, but also the title representing what led to one of the Big Two company names of all time in the comic industry! Kind of like Detective 27 having a dual purpose - major character plus representation of the "DC" name/brand.

what about having one of the first newsprint comic strips in there since comics evolved from the newspaper if my comic history is correct. \

or this book.

Histoire De Mr. Vieux Bois’ by Rodolphe Töpffer., which was published in Europe in 1837.

The book was later reprinted in English and was released in the United States in 1841–1842 with the title ‘The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck’ and looked like this

image.png.8cdcb3f8654d9bf17612405e61c3b226.png

Edited by Krismusic

Having just 4 key Golden Age books and one key Silver Age book doesn't illustrate the evolution of comics across the decades to the present, and just 5 covers is far too restrictive. It would create an impression, a future myth,  that all comic books had covers, artwork and subject matter similar to the ones chosen.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

Who will care because by then everything pictured and wrote about in old comics will be passé and common place as people will actually have super-powers, space and multi-dimensional travel, auto-intelligent robots etc. or we will be extinct, especially if one of these shows up.

death-star.png.fa2efc82c7d0bc9ef6d4f0228f42b7af.png

#GFT

41 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Who will care because by then everything pictured and wrote about in old comics will be passé and common place as people will actually have super-powers, space and multi-dimensional travel, auto-intelligent robots etc. or we will be extinct, especially if one of these shows up.

death-star.png.fa2efc82c7d0bc9ef6d4f0228f42b7af.png

If climate change activists are right, Earth by 4965 is likely to resemble this, anyway...

venus_radar.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Welcome to New Venus.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, DanCooper said:

This book will look so passé in the year 4965 (like by at least 2000 years!)

5217765.jpg

Nice to see that Ken's still popular as a name, though.

46 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

If climate change activists are right, Earth by 4965 is likely to resemble this, anyway...

venus_radar.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Welcome to New Venus.

you mean new earth 52?

I think the better question is will our comics last 50,000 years??? lol 

what our earth will be like 50,000 years from now. Found it an interesting read about the future and history of our planet and species.. didn't know sapiens have been around for only 100,000 years I thought it was longer than that and that we evolved faster than other species in the last 10,000 years. Maybe we will have super powers (technology made) as some one has already mentioned.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/evolution/earth-50000-years.htm

Edited by Krismusic

4 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Comics pictured future evolution of the human race looking like this....

713844934_strangeadventures40_edited.jpg.658f576cf0b498273d54a7aee3232b5b.jpg

Here's a picture of a future distant relative...

1254571959_talos4.jpg.41c20f6095d354b837de61e341d146a1.jpg

I see the getting smaller thing but not the bigger brains things. The reason I say that is technology is doing a lot of the processing that we use to have to do ourselves. Many of us can barely remember phone #'s as we have them all stored in our cell phones as an example. But as technology evolves and takes on more of the tasks that we normally do we can either evolve but pushing our scientific limits or we can go the other route and become lazier and therefore use less of our brains etc.. it would be almost an autopilot kind of thing where we simply lose the abilities to do basic tasks as they have been assigned to robots, devices or tech. heck we might not even walk in the future as everyone might have their own hoverboards or some version of it. lol.

As to the smaller size I think as our population grows resources are consumed/lost and increased competition for resources we will evolve with smaller bodies so we consume less resources and become sustainable to the environment. 

Mind you this all goes out the window if we can travel with ease to other resource rich planets that can sustain us and other species. I hope they have good fried chicken, ribs and steak with a nice potato lol 

sorry to derail the thread so much, I forgot how much I use to love this stuff about wondering what the future would be like..

I guess this is why I came back to comics and started collecting again.. its fun to be a kid again. even for a short bit of time... :headbang: