• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 5 comic book covers will be used by distant future historians?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

I read that if our brains were to get bigger and pathways more complex, the number of extra neuronal interconnections might start to slow impulse transmission down, so the brain then starts to become more inefficient. A theory as to why we still have brains the same size as our Cro-Magnon ancestors.

Also associated childbirth complications.  Of course, they'll have foetal incubator tanks by then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Action 1

Cap 1

Tec 27

AF15

5?

I dont believe it will be based on value but social impact.  I stand by my choice of Superman 166 with the first superhero in a primitive nucular family situation at a primitive holiday ritual that was practiced in the long past.

59 minutes ago, kav said:

I dont believe it will be based on value but social impact.  I stand by my choice of Superman 166 with the first superhero in a primitive nucular family situation at a primitive holiday ritual that was practiced in the long past.

You are free to believe that. 

I picked Action 1, Tec 27 and AF15 due to them being the three most iconic characters.  They are pop Americana in that order I believe.  Captain America to me was an easy call just for Cap punching Hitler in the face combined with it being a first appearance. 

5?  I dunno. 

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Neither will the human race at the rate we are going...

Pulp paper from the Han dynasty still exist and are about 2,000 years old.  Not a stretch to think sealed slabbed comics made with modern paper will last much longer.

Interesting question, but the OP list is way too restrictive. It is the hard to beat list for the category "American super heroes" but not a list for a broad definition of comics. What about manga, or European comics, or newspaper comics... ?

I'd like to think that the world will manage to be a bit more internationalist by the 4000s.

4 minutes ago, AJD said:

Interesting question, but the OP list is way too restrictive. It is the hard to beat list for the category "American super heroes" but not a list for a broad definition of comics. What about manga, or European comics, or newspaper comics... ?

I'd like to think that the world will manage to be a bit more internationalist by the 4000s.

Possibly Interplanetarianist-

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Comix May persist in thousand years but I'm not sure about humans

I had a nightmare that global warming hysteria caused us to go to nuclear war with China since they were seen as an 'existential threat to the planet' for not going along with the global warming stuff-

scary

56 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Is this only comic books as in floppy newsprint comic magazines? Or the entire comics medium itself? If it's a real history of comic books then there should be much more non superhero comics represented since superhero comics have never ever been the most published comic books. Even today where superheros are hugely popular there are much more non superhero comics published.

There's also so much brilliant newspaper strip material that they will remain oblivious to, simply for lack of covers, despite being some of the best and most significant works ever produced in the medium; Caniff, Foster, Eisner, Herriman, etc.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just a thought.  If comics no longer exist, then value is irrelevant.  What if they think Action 1, Detective 27, Cap 1, and other such books are just primitive, immature cave drawings compared to something that comes afterwards?  They may find a cover with a riot or armed police officers more interesting as a representation of the old world.

Iron Man 45

52 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Just a thought.  If comics no longer exist, then value is irrelevant.  What if they think Action 1, Detective 27, Cap 1, and other such books are just primitive, immature cave drawings compared to something that comes afterwards?  They may find a cover with a riot or armed police officers more interesting as a representation of the old world.

There will always be digital and so long that someone can make money off of Superman, Superman will always exist. 

This thread got me thinking about a Star Trek: the Next Generation episode where Data was kidnapped by an eccentric collector. In this guy’s collection was a Baseball Card that was the only known surviving copy. Trying to draw from my memory alone, I thought it was a Mickey Mantle card, but after researching, I found the following (which proves my feeble human memory can sometimes get it wrong, but hey, at least I was on the right track):

Excerpt from “Memory Alpha”, Star Trek: TNG, season 3, episode 22, The Most Toys. Air date: May 5th, 1990.

863D03CD-94AA-4992-828F-DFD976F34E1E.thumb.jpeg.3e1f93aec9739ec75947d671685c9125.jpeg

And here is a screenshot of the card as displayed in the episode, circled in yellow on left.

487DB6CB-2CDA-4775-B574-AECA47A3A668.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam