• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 5 comic book covers will be used by distant future historians?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Just a thought.  If comics no longer exist, then value is irrelevant.  What if they think Action 1, Detective 27, Cap 1, and other such books are just primitive, immature cave drawings compared to something that comes afterwards?  They may find a cover with a riot or armed police officers more interesting as a representation of the old world.

Iron Man 45

Yup.  Covers that illustrate something about the social nature of our time period.  Good point.

You could go through and pick out covers with images of drug abuse, racism, homelessness, pollution, etc.

It'd be interesting to find some relatively obscure covers from cheaper, non-key comics which fit this profile, ones that could be just as intriguing to them as more obvious key relevance choices such as Green Lantern 85.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

Most likely the books that survive will be 90s drek, as so many of them were printed.  Thats right folks, Liefeld will most likely be the only name associated with the primitive 'comic book' of the past.  Future historians will claim that 20th century humans had many pouches to carry their various items.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Most likely the books that survive will be 90s drek, as so many of them were printed.  Thats right folks, Liefeld will most likely be the only name associated with the primitive 'comic book' of the past.  Future historians will claim that 20th century humans had many pouches to carry their various items.

I was trying to avoid thinking about that possibility.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was trying to avoid thinking about that possibility.

They will also conclude that human drawing ability declined from the egyptian heiroglyphic era to the Liefeld era-

"Even heiroglyphic artists were able to draw feet" they will state-

7 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Just a thought.  If comics no longer exist, then value is irrelevant.  What if they think Action 1, Detective 27, Cap 1, and other such books are just primitive, immature cave drawings compared to something that comes afterwards?  They may find a cover with a riot or armed police officers more interesting as a representation of the old world.

Iron Man 45

I prefer this cover, “Crisis on Campus”!

0CB65C08-85BD-4848-83C3-4086D55382E8.jpeg.6ad1184c43fa1cf155da82eadc7c13a4.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam

4 hours ago, kav said:

They will also conclude that human drawing ability declined from the egyptian heiroglyphic era to the Liefeld era-

"Even heiroglyphic artists were able to draw feet" they will state-

They’d still debate the merits of Egyptian art vs Liefeld’s.

He doesn’t like drawing feet, their figure work was repetitively drawn in profile.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

They’d still debate the merits of Egyptian art vs Liefeld’s.

He doesn’t like drawing feet, their figure work was repetitively drawn in profile.

True but in profile their chests weren't 14 feet thick-

Edited by kav

Action #1

Detective #27

FF#1    (the first Stan Lee and Jack Kirby which really put the Silver Age in the lexicon)

AF #15

Luke Cage Hero for Hire #1  (Considered to be the first black superhero to be featured as a title character of a comic book, although there may have been a Golden Age book floating around about this, but the name escapes me.)

On 10/17/2019 at 2:51 PM, Knightsofold said:

From a human history node in the year 4965:

I think everyone may be missing the mark on what 4965 will look like.  I assume at this time after AI has taken over the world our robot overlords will see the following books as the most historically relevant as harbingers of the war that was to come...

Action Comics (1938 DC) 36

Human Torch Comics (1940) 23

Startling Comics (1940) 49

Brick Bradford (1948) 6

Fantastic Comics (1939 Fox Features Syndicate) 3

Edited by szav

22 hours ago, szav said:

I think everyone may be missing the mark on what 4965 will look like.  I assume at this time after AI has taken over the world our robot overlords will see the following books as the most historically relevant as harbingers of the war that was to come...

Action Comics (1938 DC) 36

Human Torch Comics (1940) 23

Startling Comics (1940) 49

Brick Bradford (1948) 6

Fantastic Comics (1939 Fox Features Syndicate) 3

So I imagine this comic book series won't be very popular with the AI set in the furture...

magnus17.jpg.b6fd0d8c9cc8587beb9b0a9f9af1c07e.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Jaylam said:

This thread got me thinking about a Star Trek: the Next Generation episode where Data was kidnapped by an eccentric collector. In this guy’s collection was a Baseball Card that was the only known surviving copy. Trying to draw from my memory alone, I thought it was a Mickey Mantle card, but after researching, I found the following (which proves my feeble human memory can sometimes get it wrong, but hey, at least I was on the right track):

Excerpt from “Memory Alpha”, Star Trek: TNG, season 3, episode 22, The Most Toys. Air date: May 5th, 1990.

863D03CD-94AA-4992-828F-DFD976F34E1E.thumb.jpeg.3e1f93aec9739ec75947d671685c9125.jpeg

And here is a screenshot of the card as displayed in the episode, circled in yellow on left.

487DB6CB-2CDA-4775-B574-AECA47A3A668.jpeg

The timeframe given here may be about right.....at least according to the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/deterioratebrochure.html

The best they're willing to bet on is "several centuries" before the paper deteriorates, which is why they're in the process of digitizing everything they have.

7 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

The timeframe given here may be about right.....at least according to the Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/deterioratebrochure.html

The best they're willing to bet on is "several centuries" before the paper deteriorates, which is why they're in the process of digitizing everything they have.

Yes, and the books made in the 30's to the 80's are made on the worst possible kind of paper, which unfortunately, currently comprises some of the most valuable and historically significant books. Eventually, Father Time will catch up and exert His merciless will and the end result will be the same as Thanos' finger snap.....dust!

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Yes, and the books made in the 30's to the 80's are made on the worst possible kind of paper, which unfortunately, currently comprises some of the most valuable and historically significant books. Eventually, Father Time will catch up and exert His merciless will and the end result will be the same as Thanos' finger snap.....dust!

i don't think they will turn to dust for a few thousand years as you can look at some of the oldest books and texts in history that are found such as the dead sea scroll, as Kav pointed out some of the scripts from China and these items were rolled up in containers and tossed into caves or tombs etc.. and they still survived without the proper knowledge of storing paper. with the restoration techniques we have now and the storage knowledge and materials we have I think the important books can last for a very very long time. 

They might be severe purple labels but they will still be around. 

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

So I imagine this comic book series won't be very popular with the AI set in the furture...

magnus17.jpg.b6fd0d8c9cc8587beb9b0a9f9af1c07e.jpg

I'm a Magnus fan but no one in the future will be calling robots 'Robs'.  You cant just shorten a word to sound futuristic.  
A vehicle is a veh.  A building is a Buil.  A mountain is a mou.

nope

I'm no soothsayer, but I think it's a safe bet to assume that the covers viewed as iconic and masterpieces now will be considered likewise, maybe with the addition of great artists yet to be born.

The Platinum age art of Winsor McCay, the sci-fi pulp art of Frank Paul, comic book artists like Kirby, Frazetta, etc., those considered immortals now will be the immortals of the future.

5 hours ago, kav said:

I'm a Magnus fan but no one in the future will be calling robots 'Robs'.  You cant just shorten a word to sound futuristic.  

nope

Edited by Ken Aldred