• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 5 comic book covers will be used by distant future historians?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, thunsicker said:

There was some dude who named his 5 sons George Foreman.

Boxing fan or grill cook?

On 10/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, Krismusic said:

i don't think they will turn to dust for a few thousand years as you can look at some of the oldest books and texts in history that are found such as the dead sea scroll, as Kav pointed out some of the scripts from China and these items were rolled up in containers and tossed into caves or tombs etc.. and they still survived without the proper knowledge of storing paper. with the restoration techniques we have now and the storage knowledge and materials we have I think the important books can last for a very very long time. 

They might be severe purple labels but they will still be around. 

I don't remember the specifics, but I was talking to a rare book collector and they said there was a point in time when they started putting acidic ingredients (pulp etc) into paper and from that point on the books degraded faster, and the earlier books/paper made the old fashioned (more expensive way) were not degrading.

Newsprint essentially destroys itself over time. Optimal storage conditions can slow the process, but not stop it. Other kinds of paper can survive longer, but the newsprint used in the production of comic books from the 30’s to the 80’s is of the worst kind for longevity and preservation. 

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I don't remember the specifics, but I was talking to a rare book collector and they said there was a point in time when they started putting acidic ingredients (pulp etc) into paper and from that point on the books degraded faster, and the earlier books/paper made the old fashioned (more expensive way) were not degrading.

They do not add acid in paper production.  Acids are a byproduct of lignin and cellulose oxidation as well as atmospheric contaminants that produce sulfuric and nitric acid.  The ancient chinese pulp paper had acid same as modern papers. The old fashioned paper were non-pulp, they were made of cotton (rag).

Edited by kav

This book captures so much of comic history... The comics code, the loss associated, subversion of the code, comics for adults (comics as art), an alternative distribution system for comics...

533959473_lf(1)2.thumb.jpeg.e6054e099b45d7741ea6965c29fc372b.jpeg

1668869140_lf(2)2.thumb.jpeg.96d5eb2633708f1786792d303750d34d.jpeg

Frankly, I would not want to read a history of comics that glosses over the importance of underground comix! :sumo:

13 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This book captures so much of comic history... The comics code, the loss associated, subversion of the code, comics for adults (comics as art), an alternative distribution system for comics...

533959473_lf(1)2.thumb.jpeg.e6054e099b45d7741ea6965c29fc372b.jpeg

1668869140_lf(2)2.thumb.jpeg.96d5eb2633708f1786792d303750d34d.jpeg

Frankly, I would not want to read a history of comics that glosses over the importance of underground comix! :sumo:

And many of them were printed on very cheap paper. Very brown / OW is common page quality, even now.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/18/2019 at 11:55 AM, Krismusic said:

what about having one of the first newsprint comic strips in there since comics evolved from the newspaper if my comic history is correct. \

or this book.

Histoire De Mr. Vieux Bois’ by Rodolphe Töpffer., which was published in Europe in 1837.

The book was later reprinted in English and was released in the United States in 1841–1842 with the title ‘The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck’ and looked like this

image.png.8cdcb3f8654d9bf17612405e61c3b226.png

I looked into this a bit and yes, all hail Mr. Oldbuck!   To the extent that comic books continue to be primarily enjoyed/produced by Anglophones the world over, especially since 1990 with the globalization effects of the great equalizer -- movies! -- it would be difficult to overstate the importance of the 1841 version of Adventures of Mr. Oldbuck, i.e., the one published in London by Tilt and Bogue.   It appears that experts now agree that the Tilt and Bogue 1842 version was the very first comic book in the English language ever and certainly the first published in Europe.  Arguably, the 1841 version is  more important than the  Brother Jonathan Extra IX version published in 1842 in the United States (New York by Winston & Co.).  That is because there is no dispute that the 1842 Brother Jonathan version used the actual printing plates from the Tilt and Bogue version.   The Brother Jonathan version may be the first comic book actually published in the U.S., but technically it was just a reprint of the 1841 London version!   When funds allow (haven't quite figured out yet how to adjust my hunt for keys), I want a Tilt/Bogue Oldbuck book.     

Now if only CGC would slab this thing too.... just out of respect!

Edited by Pantodude

6 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I dont get the pun in the ravage 2099 is it the title that's not "PC"

No pun...it's just terrible.

5 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Can you believe I've been waiting almost a week for someone to reference this gem? :roflmao:

Oh, around here you don't have to wait long, the Rifleman's log is bound to turn up eventually.

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Oh, around here you don't have to wait long, the Rifleman's log is bound to turn up eventually.

Leave it there though.

Don't take the next obvious step and post five Liefeld covers.

11 hours ago, Pantodude said:

I looked into this a bit and yes, all hail Mr. Oldbuck!   To the extent that comic books continue to be primarily enjoyed/produced by Anglophones the world over, especially since 1990 with the globalization effects of the great equalizer -- movies! -- it would be difficult to overstate the importance of the 1841 version of Adventures of Mr. Oldbuck, i.e., the one published in London by Tilt and Bogue.   It appears that experts now agree that the Tilt and Bogue 1842 version was the very first comic book in the English language ever and certainly the first published in Europe.  Arguably, the 1841 version is  more important than the  Brother Jonathan Extra IX version published in 1842 in the United States (New York by Winston & Co.).  That is because there is no dispute that the 1842 Brother Jonathan version used the actual printing plates from the Tilt and Bogue version.   The Brother Jonathan version may be the first comic book actually published in the U.S., but technically it was just a reprint of the 1841 London version!   When funds allow (haven't quite figured out yet how to adjust my hunt for keys), I want a Tilt/Bogue Oldbuck book.     

Now if only CGC would slab this thing too.... just out of respect!

i ve been looking havent had much success coming across one also its probably looking at around 10k + for this book as I saw one sell a while ago on HA site. 

39 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

i ve been looking havent had much success coming across one also its probably looking at around 10k + for this book as I saw one sell a while ago on HA site. 

GPAnalysis has already reserved a spot for "Adventures of Mr Obadiah Oldbuck"!   It recognizes the title of the book as a comic book.  There just isn't any CGC data to include yet!   That's a good way to start showing respect for this book.   Now for actual slabbing (although query whether you would really want to, just looking at the gilt cover -- i might want to hold it in my hands every so often).