• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this comic look to have restoration?

7 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:13 PM, Washingtonxan said:

Does this comic look to have restoration? This is a whiz comic #123. Specifically asking for the lower right front cover crease. There's no bleed through but I'm still concerned. Thanks for your input in advance.

IMG_20191017_0001.jpg

IMG_20191017_0002.jpg

Based solely on the images, I see nothing in the way of prime indicators for color touch. There is light surface scuffing and dust engrained on and surrounding some black area creases, which may lead you to believe some kind of "charcoal dusting" to mitigate creases could have been done, but there's nothing here that I see as potential color touch, the type that prevents a blue label.

Now, the back cover image shows unusually tightly seated staples compared to what one might expect from viewing the wear at the spine from the front cover.

One of two things may account for that. Simply the way the book wore due to the staples located on the back cover rather than the edge of the spine or the front cover. That spared wear on the back cover margin/staples when read. Or there could be a small reinforcement on the inside of the spine at the staples. We can't see that on these images to rule that out so it's something you have to look for with book in hand.

Gently open the front cover and look at the paper of the cover at both staples. Check for tape, glue, paste, japan paper, etc. If nothing there, you're good to go for an attractive blue label 4.0 that will sell at 5.0 to 5.5 level because the back cover is very strong and the book is attractive!

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

One of two things may account for that. Simply the way the book wore due to the staples located on the back cover rather than the edge of the spine or the front cover. That spared wear on the back cover margin/staples when read.

I'm going with that theory, JJJ. I do see very small enlargement holes at the staples which look perfectly normal to me. And I completely agree with your color touch diagnosis. Black covers can be tricky because of the different colored shadows at or near a crease or bend, and light dust or rubs which can permeate the creases. This one looks fine to me...  :foryou:

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm going with that theory, JJJ. I do see very small enlargement holes at the staples which look perfectly normal to me. And I completely agree with your color touch diagnosis. Black covers can be tricky because of the different colored shadows at or near a crease or bend, and light dust or rubs which can permeate the creases. This one looks fine to me...  :foryou:

With the two of us in complete agreement, matching diagnoses, this thread and this book are cleeeeeean! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

At least until CGC gets ahold of it...  lol 

No press = 4.0 blue

Pressed = 4.5 blue, 1 in 5 chance at 5.0 (if that day the grading Gods at CGC turn their faces towards, and smile upon him). (worship) 

Unless as previously mentioned, there's something restorative inside that we can't see.

Edited by James J Johnson