• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Covers -- Pros and Cons
1 1

55 posts in this topic

The reality remains -- if you give a collector the choice between receiving the cover or a splash of a given pre-Modern issue, 9 times out of 10 the cover will win. 

Hell, one could then turn around to sell the cover and use the proceeds on the splash + other things.

Though sea changes ain't happening, I appreciate the perspectives herein nonetheless.  

29 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Would you rather...

Have 5 pages by an A list artist

Or

1 cover by that same A list artist for an A list title?

Essentially, if you could "trade up" pages for a cover, what would be the magic number?

I couldn't tell you in a vacuum. But monetarily, in most cases, I think you have to take the cover. Values aside, I think I'd enjoy having all of the pages more.

33 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Would you rather...

Or

Essentially, if you could "trade up" pages for a cover, what would be the magic number?

For aesthetics not future speculation plays: it would depend on whether the artist is more of a pin-up or sequential "artist" (imo, not other collectors, not "the market").

Examples:

1. Jim Lee - 1 cover.

2. Steve Ditko - 5 pages (especially if consecutive!)

2 hours ago, vodou said:

For aesthetics not future speculation plays: it would depend on whether the artist is more of a pin-up or sequential "artist" (imo, not other collectors, not "the market").

Examples:

1. Jim Lee - 1 cover.

2. Steve Ditko - 5 pages (especially if consecutive!)

How would you view Neil Adams? Frankly, I think his sequential work is outstanding; he had a major impact on the way stories are paced. But, his covers can be magnificent.

52 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

How would you view Neil Adams? Frankly, I think his sequential work is outstanding; he had a major impact on the way stories are paced. But, his covers can be magnificent.

For me: I'd prefer panels but "for eventual re-sale": cover.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Would you rather...

Or

It depends on relative quality. I'd take a single A page over a B cover for my collection all day long.

OTOH, I'd take a single B cover over 20 C pages.

(For certain artists, though, there are no C pages.)

On 10/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Would you rather...

Or

Depends on the content.

If it was 5 consecutive pages from a story I really love like God Loves Man Kills or Kraven's Last Hunt. I would take them over a cover by the same artist,

Would you rather...

Or

I would always buy the best example I could afford.you cant choose what art shows up when - but as I try and not hoard - I go for the best example I can.  Quality o error quantity. Page or cover doesn't matter.

Would you rather...

Or

Im a firm believer in quality over quantity.  I'd rather have an A+ example over 5 B+ examples.  So one might think I'd go with a more desirable cover (especially when thinking resale value). However,  sequential storytelling is hard.  All things being equal,  I'd probably take 5 pages of well paced,  well structured storytelling, and if there is a sweet splash page in there... win/ win!

Edited by Stefanomjr

I don't think we can have hard and fast rules, as it is a very individual thing. From a nostalgia point of view there is some stuff that I think "whatever it takes just keep hitting the red button".  Other times I put in a bid and go to bed. I still read and buy comics and still upgrade my collection so I am not so much an art collector but a comic collector who loves to see his stories come alive the way the artist intended. Honestly though for the characters and artists I chase a Silver age cover may have me following it but by the last day of a HA major auction I will just be getting the coffee ready (I am in OZ so very early in the morning). I am however enjoying seeing the other perspectives from collectors who are more into pure art than I.