• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 vs. BA X-Men keys, ca. late 1980
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but it's still true, and (especially for the younger folk) bears repeating, along with what I am sure is a re-post of one of many primary sources from the era (see below): for those of us who were there, the first appearance of Wolverine was pretty much a big meh back then; Claremont, Cockrum, and Byrne, on the other hand, was where it was AT, baby!  :cloud9:

MH-19801.jpg

MH-19802.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

On 10/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

"All comic books in very good or better condition."  

Mile high...

29 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

Even then I cared enough about condition to avoid ordering from them based solely on that line.

Yup.  Not much better than Rogofsky’s ‘ Do not ask for or expect a mint copy’.

Even by 1980, grading was getting a bit more stringent than a VG to NM crapshoot.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Nice!  Just wait..X94 is way undervalued compared to GSX1 and Hulk 181 these past few years.   First Chris Claremont FTW.  That guy  is a truly gifted storyteller. 

Plus, its the coolest cover... this is coming from a Wolverine fan. 

Edited by Wolverinex

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

First Chris Claremont FTW.  That guy  is a truly gifted storyteller. 

I concur.

An all-time favourite of mine.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, such an action packed cover!  I have mine hanging on the wall. 

You know I remember as a kid when I kept seeing my cousin's copy of X-94 I thought count Nefaria was the guy who played superintendent on the show "One day at a time" 

Edited by MGsimba77

Also note that ASM 129 isn't broken out at all, and Conan 1 outperforms them all.

The listing for Marvel Super Special 7 (Sgt. Pepper's) for $2.00 is also interesting, given that it was never published/distributed here in the US...

Edited by jools&jim

On 10/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, jools&jim said:

the first appearance of Wolverine was pretty much a big meh back then;

Yes, looks like I definitely overpaid for my copy then as I remember having to pay $5 for a nice HG wall copy at a local comic con here back in the latter part of the 70's.  doh!  :takeit:

The dealer I brought it from said the other year that it's impossible since he would never have priced it so low because Hulk 181 was a hot pricey book right from the get go.  With the sky high prices that Mile High is generally known for, I guess this ad from them proves that my memory is clearly better than the dealer that I brought the book from.  (thumbsu