• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace staple
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I bought a nice copy of Nova 1 on eBay that looks great except there is some rust on the top staple (SEE PICS).

My question is : Can I replace the staple with another staple removed from a comic from the same era AND not have it penalize me if I have it slabbed one day ? Can a profesionnal do it ? Does CGC consider this restoration ?

I don't want the rust to transfer to the paper and damage the book, that is my main concern.

Thanks !

20191019_002318.jpg

20191019_002434.jpg

20191019_002445.jpg

20191019_002653.jpg

20191019_002659.jpg

Well now that you've said it out loud, and this being CGC's forum, I'd say "no way, that might be considered unethical!" 

Now with my hand to the side of my mouth and in a whispering tone, "who would know?" In your case, anyway, since it looks like the rust is minor and not on the paper yet.

9 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Well now that you've said it out loud, and this being CGC's forum, I'd say "no way, that might be considered unethical!" 

Now with my hand to the side of my mouth and in a whispering tone, "who would know?" In your case, anyway, since it looks like the rust is minor and not on the paper yet.

I realize its a delicate subject. Thanks for your comment.

Here's what I can tell you: 

In my experience, CGC doesn't usually treat staple issues as restoration, they give the book a green Qualified label and note the staple issue on the label in capital letters. If a staple is professionally replaced, it would have to be replaced with a staple from the same era in order to get a Conserved label. 

I've seen staples in much worse shape than the one you've shown---that's what I would call light surface rust. At this point, you're still OK, but I'd keep it stored properly and check it every so often to make sure it's not getting any worse. If you really can't live with it, look into having it replaced by a professional. I hope this helps...

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Here's what I can tell you: 

In my experience, CGC doesn't usually treat staple issues as restoration, they give the book a green Qualified label and note the staple issue on the label in capital letters. If a staple is professionally replaced, it would have to be replaced with a staple from the same era in order to get a Conserved label. 

I've seen staples in much worse shape than the one you've shown---that's what I would call light surface rust. At this point, you're still OK, but I'd keep it stored properly and check it every so often to make sure it's not getting any worse. If you really can't live with it, look into having it replaced by a professional. I hope this helps...

Thanks for your input. Is there anyway to ''clean it'' a little so it is less visible or to prevent it from getting worse besides storing it in a dry place?

There may be other folks here with more knowledge of how to clean rust off a staple; I usually don't play around with things like this. At this point, the rust may slightly affect the grade in the higher grades (a 9.4 becomes a 9.2, for example). I've seen books with slight rust on the staples stay the same for years when stored properly (cool and dark, with archival storage materials).

You may want to contact a pro just to see if they know any other procedures which could help...

A true conservator would remove the staples entirely and leave them off.  Paper does not like metal!  Be sure to wear your white gloves while doing it so that hand oils do not contaminate the paper.

B|