• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From 0-100%, how satisfied are you with your current collection?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Am at about 90%.  The remaining pieces I'd love to add are pretty much stratospheric... and I've made do with "replacements" (e.g., a Venom sketch by McFarlane in place of a McF Venom published ASM page).

Actually, bet I could do some work if I sold most of my comic + remaining sports card collections. But unwilling to cross that bridge.

Shoulda bought Litecoin when it was less than a dollar. lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

31 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Only 50 cents back on gain though after taxes lol

And if you're bidding, there's 20% vig on top of and then state sales tax too lollollol

Nothing's ever easy.

I'm at 99.9%.

In the similar sense I have more than one of everything I'd ever want that isn't already mid six to seven figures, and I'm unwilling to take on the capital gains hit and give art up to make serious plays on serious trophies.

I buy something or other several times a month though, all center of collection stuff too, further strengthening that 99.9 end.

The fifty multi-millionaires in cash or collections can have the other .01% ;)

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Am at about 90%.  The remaining pieces I'd love to add are pretty much stratospheric... and I've made do with "replacements" (e.g., a Venom sketch by McFarlane in place of a McF Venom published ASM page).

Actually, bet I could do some work if I sold most of my comic + remaining sports card collections. But unwilling to cross that bridge.

I’m 100 % happy with what I have.

100% sad about what I don’t.

50% missing pieces of art I sold or traded the last 23 years.

My wife is in charge of buying the lottery tickets. Should we win the FF annual 2 will stay in tact. I won’t be greedy. I’ll leave the rest of the November HA auction selections for you all.

🍇 🦍 

35 minutes ago, Khazano said:

I'm at 95%. The other 4% I will probably pickup here and there as they appear at auction over the years. The other 1% has matured in value to a point I cant justify it. Thankfully, for the most part I've achieved what I came into the hobby to get. Starting at age 17 in the early 2000s definitely gave me a leg up on most other collectors of my age group, so I was able to get in before getting priced out. 

That’s impressive insight on your part at 17 to get started. Well done !!!

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

That’s impressive insight on your part at 17 to get started. Well done !!!

I did the same thing at his age, except I did it with Golden Age comics and pedigrees. I got the art bug in 2006 and have been lucky enough to get some A level pieces. Still on the hunt!

2 hours ago, Timely said:

I did the same thing at his age, except I did it with Golden Age comics and pedigrees. I got the art bug in 2006 and have been lucky enough to get some A level pieces. Still on the hunt!

Heh. I did too but was BROKE in HS. I tried very very hard to get my dad to "invest" $10k in a dead nm Captain America #1 (1989/90)...he just couldn't see it. He still can't (no matter what "some fool just paid").

I am 85% satisfied with my collection. I have been collecting for over 30 years and have acquired most of what I want. Remaining 15% is down to artists I do not yet have a good exmple from, certain nostalgic pieces I am still looking for and some areas I would still like to expand into namely more DC and Golden age art. DC and Golden age art is tougher to come by, I was mostly a Marvel fans growing up but still collected DC, found I have leaned towards collecting mostly Marvel over DC as more was out there from earlier issues.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Heh. I did too but was BROKE in HS. I tried very very hard to get my dad to "invest" $10k in a dead nm Captain America #1 (1989/90)...he just couldn't see it. He still can't (no matter what "some fool just paid").

Haha my father in law didn’t get original comic art at all.

How do you know it’s not fake?

How do you know it’s worth anything?

And “ just because that insufficiently_thoughtful_person paid that much doesn’t mean it’s worth that much!

Good grief !!!!!

23 minutes ago, Grant Turner said:

90%.  My collection has dwindled considerably, but is also far more focused now.  Only grails in my collection.  Only piece missing is a Ditko, Marvel silver age, twice-up, but that ship might have sailed...

Never give up !!!! 

If there is a grail out there, don't fret, DDD will get em all. If there's a piece you want, just wait it out. Divorce, Disease or Death is coming. Unless its a Jim Lee commission. Those meatheads are keeping them forever. Happy hunting!

Edited by dirtymartini1

Been collecting OA since 1982 (so 37 years in the hobby behind me).  Over the course of the last 15 years or so I sold a lot of my best stuff to fund big lifestyle changes.  Retrospectively, I think I achieved most of my major aims along the way . . . only to let most of it go!

The only comic-art I'm actively collecting nowadays few here will ever have heard of, as three out of four aims are for UK strips:

JEFF HAWKE, 'Survival' newspaper strip (1960, UK)

KELLY'S EYE, 'The Vampire of Rafinno' comic-book strip (1965, UK)

THE STEEL CLAW, 'Max Kruger' comic-book strip (1965, UK)

DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND graphic-novel (USA, circa mid-1980s)

Other than the above, I'm mostly collecting Movie Poster original paintings nowadays.  Lots of available artworks, if you know where to look, at affordable price-entry levels.  I created a Movie Poster original artwork FB group a few years ago, so have a decent foothold to monitor marketplace activity.

Edited by The Voord

I don't know that I could quantify it. I love my collection. It represents both a process and a result and every piece has its own story. If I never added another piece, I could look at it and be satisfied with the enjoyment is has given and continues to give me.

At some point, it will do a 180 and get sold to supplement my retirement funds, but for now it's still fun to feed the monster.

1 hour ago, Weird Paper said:

I don't know that I could quantify it. I love my collection. It represents both a process and a result and every piece has its own story. If I never added another piece, I could look at it and be satisfied with the enjoyment is has given and continues to give me.

At some point, it will do a 180 and get sold to supplement my retirement funds, but for now it's still fun to feed the monster.

Very thoughtful approach as you enjoy the art until it’s time to sell. Prices very high today—hard to keep up on adding more pieces.

You are content with what you have. Grateful. That’s a very mature way to experience this hobby. I still go to 1 or 2 conventions a year. Meeting artists I’ve never met is wonderful. Catching up with  artists I’ve met before also great.

its also a chance to get a sketch or get a commission going. I think that’s a great place to add reasonably priced art to your portfolio when buying the expensive pages is no longer an option.

Nice post.