• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From 0-100%, how satisfied are you with your current collection?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Bill C said:

I'm a little surprised so many people are in the 90% area (just due to the nature of the addiction most experience).

I wonder how much of that is folks feeling like they just need one more piece to really make their collection complete, but as soon as they acquire that piece feeling like it's just one more after that ad infinitum. At least that's pretty much been me with every purchase I've made.

6 hours ago, Varanis said:

I wonder how much of that is folks feeling like they just need one more piece to really make their collection complete, but as soon as they acquire that piece feeling like it's just one more after that ad infinitum. At least that's pretty much been me with every purchase I've made.

You got it right:tonofbricks:

^^^^^Staying with the above post^^^^^ 

I am about 85% happy with what I have.  I have never overspent for a page, but also never over reached for one either.  I am a budget collector.  I would like a nice 80's Spidey page. I think that would round me out. 

Edited by Spidey 62

On 10/21/2019 at 10:49 PM, Bill C said:

I'm a little surprised so many people are in the 90% area (just due to the nature of the addiction most experience).

I think it comes down to managing expectations, and being realistic about what kind of collection one can build relative to one's budget and opportunity set.  

22 hours ago, Varanis said:

Plus one

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think it comes down to managing expectations, and being realistic about what kind of collection one can build relative to one's budget and opportunity set.  

Right.  And one unknown that you have to put aside is what pieces are out there that you would want in an ideal world and which of them, if any, ever becomes available.  Otherwise you could never really be satisfied with your collection as you'd be thinking about all the great pieces you'd love to have but that are nowhere to be found or otherwise unavailable.

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Right.  And one unknown that you have to put aside is what pieces are out there that you would want in an ideal world and which of them, if any, ever becomes available.  Otherwise you could never really be satisfied with your collection as you'd be thinking about all the great pieces you'd love to have but that are nowhere to be found or otherwise unavailable.

This is a good remark about whether your most perfect desired piece, if achieved, relates to what you have actually managed to acquire.

I have adjusted my expectations based on my early buys which I could never duplicate.  But, I still look for pieces which sing to me based on nostalgia or my perceived value.

I'm hanging on to my best pieces, but always looking for bargains.

Nice conversation, David

3 hours ago, timguerrero said:

I'll say I'm 70% satisfied with my collection as I still have some grail pieces to purchase and a lot of pages I need to weed out of my collection in order for it to be filled only with pieces I'd be satisfied for owning the rest of my life.

I like your 70%, and I will bump mine to 80% since I am well pleased with my efforts working up here near the Canadian border without realistic access to shows.

Any of my grail possibilities would be out of my price range even if I sold all of my minor original comic art collection. 

It is an interesting thought to consider the prospect of selling a remaining big piece to finance a personal grail, though.

It would be sort of like a trade.  My best pieces are bronze superhero covers, which are still ascending, and a personal grail might not be so good as an investment.

So that is a cause for pause.  David

Edited by aokartman
clarity

On 10/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, aokartman said:

I like your 70%, and I will bump mine to 80% since I am well pleased with my efforts working up here near the Canadian border without realistic access to shows.

Any of my grail possibilities would be out of my price range even if I sold all of my minor original comic art collection. 

It is an interesting thought to consider the prospect of selling a remaining big piece to finance a personal grail, though.

It would be sort of like a trade.  My best pieces are bronze superhero covers, which are still ascending, and a personal grail might not be so good as an investment.

So that is a cause for pause.  David

you think you have it hard being in the Canadian border? lol. I live in El Salvador, Central America. Not only is it far from any convention where any real talent might show up but I also make a measly wage on a third world country despite being a civil engineer! Despite that I have over 200 published pieces and I have filled several sketchbooks with free quick sketches from every time I attend a con in the USA (I try my best to do it once a year but haven't been to one since 2017).

4 hours ago, timguerrero said:

you think you have it hard being in the Canadian border? lol. I live in El Salvador, Central America. Not only is it far from any convention where any real talent might show up but I also make a measly wage on a third world country despite being a civil engineer! Despite that I have over 200 published pieces and I have filled several sketchbooks with free quick sketches from every time I attend a con in the USA (I try my best to do it once a year but haven't been to one since 2017).

Well then, you are the clear winner in the most dedicated original comic art collector contest between the two of us, and I salute you!

I have never traveled far for art, and my finds have been either local, mail, or internet.

I rarely travel outside Vermont, but I did pick up a couple pages at an obscure South Florida local comic book store about fifteen years ago.

I still have one of them, a Punisher page.

Edit ..... It is not on my CAF gallery, I'll try to get a pic up here for you.

I thought it was on my David Albright CAF page, and I'll try to get an image up here for you.

Edit .... Sorry for not providing artist credit, this is Hugh Haynes pencils, and either/or Mark McKenna and Mick Gray inks.per the Grand Comics Database.

This particular page is signed on the reverse by Haynes.

Best, David

punisherhughhaynes.jpg

Edited by aokartman
clarify, pic added, detail

I think I’m 0-5% satisfied. I’ve been buying comic art since about 1987 and it just never “feels done”. I have maybe a half dozen pieces in my permanent collection after all this time. It just has to be one of these few specific pieces or at least exact types of pieces for me to view it as anything but a temporary diversion. Of the thousands of comic art pieces I’ve had, only a handful ever made the cut.

Because of the rather stupid prices this stuff now goes for I find I have to buy and sell to afford new pieces without feeling guilty when I do land a new “frame” piece (the last being a Daredevil cover that was actually top 3 for me all time, only one I’ve ever had from the top of the list). Because of that it feels like a never ending constant effort, always grinding and working my way to that once every few year perfect moment landing of the next “Framer”. 

Not sure how you can answer this question. Given the price range of the art I can afford to buy, I guess I am somewhat satisfied with my collection. Probably about a 60 on a scale of 100. There are some representative piece I want to add yet. And some new stuff I am interested in as well. But, I really want a signature piece, at some point.

46 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think I’m 0-5% satisfied. I’ve been buying comic art since about 1987 and it just never “feels done”. I have maybe a half dozen pieces in my permanent collection after all this time. It just has to be one of these few specific pieces or at least exact types of pieces for me to view it as anything but a temporary diversion. Of the thousands of comic art pieces I’ve had, only a handful ever made the cut.

Because of the rather stupid prices this stuff now goes for I find I have to buy and sell to afford new pieces without feeling guilty when I do land a new “frame” piece (the last being a Daredevil cover that was actually top 3 for me all time, only one I’ve ever had from the top of the list). Because of that it feels like a never ending constant effort, always grinding and working my way to that once every few year perfect moment landing of the next “Framer”. 

Over thirty years in andjust a few permanent pieces landed...I have to wonder what your priority hobby/ies is? Surely it's not comic art ;)

Mine has been original art since the day I realized that one really could (nearly) have it all.

Every other hobby, and I've dipped my toes in just about every one of them you can come up with, immediately took not just the backseat but were actually kicked out of the car and left standing back at the curb.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Over thirty years in andjust a few permanent pieces landed...I have to wonder what your priority hobby/ies is? Surely it's not comic art ;)

Mine has been original art since the day I realized that one really could (nearly) have it all.

Every other hobby, and I've dipped my toes in just about every one of them you can come up with, immediately took not just the backseat but were actually kicked out of the car and left standing back at the curb.

No need to wonder, you’re just wrong :)

I think as you do this for enough decades, at least it’s true for me, you start to realize it’s all just “stuff”...and what you're really chasing is that moment of perfection that drew you into a book or character. The perfect page, the perfect panel, the perfect memory from youth that this work of art connects to. The rest is just nice distractions or maybe a means to acquire that piece of personal perfection.

The sad part is that I know where three of my “frames” are exactly right now, and there is no chance on at least two of them coming loose in the foreseeable future. And only a new BMW’s equivalent of cash would dislodge the third (which also blows my mind, the shocking cost of all of this now but that’s a conversation for another day).