• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there CGC grades you dislike for no reason?
1 1

102 posts in this topic

For some reason, I have a thing against 9.2s. 

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

Anyone else have similar feelings about certain grades or am I just crazy?

I have no gripes with any particular number grade. I do think a double decimal place grade would be awesome at preventing the OCD types from having all their books graded to the same number. Imagine getting a 9.76 grade but wanting everything a 9.8. Hilarity.

5 hours ago, Foley said:

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

I can try to analyze this if you want.

5 hours ago, Foley said:

Maybe you just haven't been exposed to enough 9.2s in social surroundings? At first, I didn't like 6.0s and 9.6s. And thankfully, aside from the grade 9.6, you don't often encounter the number 6 in grades other than 6.0 and 9.6. Now, I'm not ashamed to admit that once I really did some soul searching, I deduced that my dislike for those grades stemmed from my disdain for the number 6 and not anything relevant to the book, the grade, or the hobby! So I worked on it. I exposed myself to the number 6, no longer avoiding it, and gradually acquiesced, becoming as tolerant of that number as any of its neighbors. Now, I love all the grades equally, I no longer play favorites. I hope this helps with your dislike for 9.2. Give it a try and good luck!  :wishluck:.