• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there CGC grades you dislike for no reason?
1 1

102 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Foley said:

For some reason, I have a thing against 9.2s. 

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

Anyone else have similar feelings about certain grades or am I just crazy?

I thought it was just me. 9.0 and 9.2 I'll generally just skip straight past. They're just weird to me, I can't explain it. I'd rather just hold out for a 9.4, I guess. If 9.4 is a nosebleed price (say, for SA stuff), then I'll happily take the drop down to a nice 8.5. 

I haaate getting back silver in 5.5. It's just such a SH grade. The numbers help a little because I loathe the grade Fine- even more. I consign a lot to MCS and they looooove throwing the minus on the grades. It used to drive me up the wall, but nowadays I'm more likely to auction that book quicker so I don't have to see it with that minus grade in my inventory.  When I used to sell more of my stuff on Ebay/the boards I would never ever call a book fine minus or VF minus.  If it didn't make the mark I'd go down to vg/F or F/Vf. 

21 hours ago, Foley said:

For some reason, I have a thing against 9.2s. 

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

Anyone else have similar feelings about certain grades or am I just crazy?

Not silly at all, I'm the same. I don't like any of the 'minuses'. Every 9.2 slab I have ever owned irrationally irked me. I suppose it's a symmetry thing. A 9.2 is better than a 9.0 as a comic grade. But a 9.0 is itself. Whereas a 9.2 is not quite a NM. A 7.5 is not quite an 8.0. Or VFN. 

I know what I mean, if you don't. 

I'm with AJD on this. Too many numbers, causing too many price spikes. And not enough love to go around. 

35 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

The whole 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9.     They should have just made a 10.0, 9.5, and a 9.

Why no 8.2?   7.6?   

Money. An 8.2 wouldn't carry any premium over an 8.0. And there'd be stacks of them for most comics.

Sky's the limit at the top end though, where your 9.9 might be the only one. 

I agree with the spirit of your post though. 

8 minutes ago, deadleg said:

9.0. For some weird reason 8.5, 9.2, and 9.4 don’t bother me as much as 9.0 does. 

Is it just the number?

Does VFN/NM bother you in the same way? 

31 minutes ago, Foley said:

Now that would be a better scale Ryan:

C - Carp

R - Rough

E - Excellent

A - Amazing

M - Minty Polo

:)

3 hours ago, Foley said:

Fire away!

Ok make up a reason why you dont like 9.2.  Dont try to figure out why or put a lot of thought into it, instead make up a story or explanation-the first thing that comes to mind.

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it just the number?

Does VFN/NM bother you in the same way? 

Maybe. It’s mostly when I’m looking at bronze books. I just think ahhhh 9.0. I could easily upgrade that to a 9.2 or 9.4. I have House of Mystery 174 that’s an 8.5 and I’m perfectly happy with it. If it was a 9.0 I’d probably be looking for an upgrade. (shrug) So, yeah, I guess it is the number in some weird OCD way. 

Raw grades don’t bother me unless I’m looking at submitting a book, but I rarely submit books to cgc. I’m mostly looking for reader copies and grading really isn’t as important to me in that aspect. 

Edited by deadleg