• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there CGC grades you dislike for no reason?
1 1

102 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Maybe. It’s mostly when I’m looking at bronze books. I just think ahhhh 9.0. I could easily upgrade that to a 9.2 or 9.4. I have House of Mystery 174 that’s an 8.5 and I’m perfectly happy with it. If it was a 9.0 I’d probably be looking for an upgrade. (shrug) So, yeah, I guess it is the number in some weird OCD way. 

Raw grades don’t bother me unless I’m looking at submitting a book, but I rarely submit books to cgc. I’m mostly looking for reader copies and grading really isn’t as important to me in that aspect. 

Weird isn't it. Ryan's on to something I think, judging by the reactions to the thread so far. Odd, illogical aversions :grin:

9 minutes ago, deadleg said:

I have House of Mystery 174 that’s an 8.5 and I’m perfectly happy with it. If it was a 9.0 I’d probably be looking for an upgrade

It's like 8.5 is good, because it's a really good looking 8.0. Whereas 9.0 or 9.2 is a below par 9.4. 

hm

Nonsense isn't it. 

On 10/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Foley said:

For some reason, I have a thing against 9.2s. 

I don't mind 9.0s or 9.4s or any other grade for that matter. Even on Copper / Modern books.

It's not a thing against the physical condition of NM- either, it's just about the number 9.2.

I know that it's stupid, and I don't typically buy books for what's on the label, in fact I love 9.4-9.6 for their lack of premium pricing, but 9 times out of 10 I'll pass on a 9.2.

Anyone else have similar feelings about certain grades or am I just crazy?

what you can also do if you get a 9.2 is deslab it and nick the spine slightly with fingernail, resubmit for a 9.0.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

what you can also do if you get a 9.2 is deslab it and nick the spine slightly with fingernail, resubmit for a 9.0.

If the recent Green Eggs competition taught us anything it is that the book would likely come back a 9.6.

1 minute ago, Foley said:

An ex girlfriend cheated on me with a 9.2.

Did something like this happen in 1992?  

If not, what do the numbers and a girl mean to you?

11 minutes ago, kav said:

OK, I have a confession to make. I don't like 9.0s either. I lied in the opening post because I didn't want to seem certified batpoop crazy, but I'd rather have an 8.5 than a 9.2. 

Just now, kav said:

Did something like this happen in 1992?  

If not, what do the numbers and a girl mean to you?

Hmm, don't think so. I was only 12 and hadn't had a girlfriend in 1992.

I did have a crush on this one girl then though.

Just now, Foley said:

Hmm, don't think so. I was only 12 and hadn't had a girlfriend in 1992.

I did have a crush on this one girl then though.

what feeling does the number 9.2 evoke?

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

OK, I have a confession to make. I don't like 9.0s either. I lied in the opening post because I didn't want to seem certified batpoop crazy, but I'd rather have an 8.5 than a 9.2. 

That's because an 8.5 is a lovely 8.0 and a 9.0 and 9.2 are lousy 9.4's. It's simple. 

Just now, Foley said:

Yup, a few actually (wife, mom, sister) 

Is there a diagnosis coming soon?

the more you put into your answers the quicker the diagnosis.  analyst is only 1/2 the equation.  I've done a lot of analysis and often the person will try to resist with snappy answers.

Is there a certain male who you have a beef with maybe or maybe not regarding a woman?